Author Topic: New Norton = FSO Ignoring Non-Command Line Launcher Settings  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
New Norton = FSO Ignoring Non-Command Line Launcher Settings
So my subscription to Norton360 was coming to an end, and I decided (due to a sale on at my work) to replace it with Norton Internet Security and Norton System Works.  The latter seemed to do a bit more system cleaning than I expected.  Now, the launcher always defaults to basic visual settings (dimensions, bit quality, AA & AF, and the general quality tab) and even if I change them back, it will ignore them and load on basic settings anyway.  Now, I got around that problem by switching to the wxlauncher, but that didn't solve the problem with simspeech... it won't work.  Oh, it works when I test it, and yes I am using a build with it enabled, but it no longer works in-game.  I'm guessing that Norton did something with the game registry (as it comes up blank when selected in the old launcher).  Does anyone have a means by which I can re enable it?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 09:49:40 am by Trivial Psychic »
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: New Norton = FSO Ignoring Non-Command Line Launcher Settings
OK.  This is worse than I thought.  The WXlauncher might be saving the graphics settings that I'm selecting, but FSO is disregarding them.  I tried running in windowed mode, and it should have basically fit the exact dimensions of my screen, as I matched the FSO dimensions with those of my desktop.  Unfortunately, it showed it in one MUCH smaller, and in 4:3, so that means that FSO is completely ignoring the graphical settings.  Any thoughts?

[Edit]
I managed to force the screen resolution with -res 1440x900, but that still doesn't solve the 16-bit color and voice issues... so it doesn't solve the underlying problem... which I believe should be with the registry.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 11:24:05 am by Trivial Psychic »

Offline Parias

So my subscription to Norton360 was coming to an end, and I decided (due to a sale on at my work) to replace it with Norton Internet Security and Norton System Works.  The latter seemed to do a bit more system cleaning than I expected. 

This is exactly why I loathe "system" and "registry" cleaner software and avoid them like the plague. I have never, ever seen them provide an actual tangible performance / functionality benefit on an OS level from a personal standpoint (and I throw a TON of crap software around my system), and in general find they have too great a chance of causing issues like this.

Just reinstall your OS every couple of years and you'll be fine (and have much fewer gray hairs).

Norton software also has a history of causing all sorts of software conflicts and problems; they've gotten better over the years with their more recent products, but I've had enough bad experiences to be inclined to never touch them again. I'll generally just run AVG or MSE, follow some decent practices for internet security (i.e. don't follow links asking to "restore your paypal account" that go to www.paypal.com.nl.in.5333371.uk or somesuch), and haven't had a problem to date.

Sorry... enough ranting. For your particular problem, I don't really see why it's still occurring past the initial purge of your app settings. Is there a chance that the Norton software is still running and actively blocking further saves / changes to the registry from the launcher app for the sake of "protecting" your computer? Have you tried putting your settings back with the Norton protection completely disabled / uninstalled?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Thanks for the reply.  I used the restore feature to reverse all registry changes, but it still makes no difference.  FS ignores everything except the command line options and the Launcher will reset all settings to default every time you reopen it.  I'm stuck.

Offline Yarn

Have you tried disabling or removing Norton?
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Update:

I finally decided to bite the bullet and uninstall Norton Utilities, and guess what...

it didn't change a thing.  I think that I will be stuck without simspeech and 32-bit textures until I completely reformat and reinstall my PC... in other words, never.

Offline Parias

Are you aware of the fact that Norton's products do such a bad job of uninstalling themselves (and... everything else, in general) that they had to actually release a special removal tool just to get the apps out of your system correctly?

It's true! Maybe give it a spin?

Make sure you reboot, rinse, dry, throw outside, and ignite thoroughly afterwards though, just to make extra-sure it's completely gone.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Unfortunately, the link doesn't list compatibility with Norton Utilities, only System Works 12.

Offline Parias

Didn't you say earlier thought that you did have Norton 360 and Norton Internet Security?

It's a long shot, but...

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Norton 360 never gave me trouble, but I uninstalled it when my subscription ran out.

Offline Parias

Right, but what about your initial mention of replacing it with Norton Internet Security? Have you run through it's associated removal tool from the link - logic being that the necessity of said tool is often because simply uninstalling Norton's products isn't enough?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
What happens if you put the registry entries back manually? I'd post a .reg file but I use a rather odd resolution on this machine (1024x600) which would probably cause other issues for you.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I checked.  The registry entries are still there, but somehow FSO and at least the regular Launcher are ignoring or not detecting them.

See for yourself.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I have nothing in registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Volition\FreeSpace2. That's right, it's completely empty. FSO still works in 32-bit and 1920x1080.

Hmm, I wonder if that is why classic launcher is crashing on me every time I try to open it, but wxlauncher works. As does FSO even if I start up FSO directly from exe rather than through wxlauncher.
Edit: Got registry entries by launching retail FS2 launcher with admin privileges. I'd say those registry entries are now obsolete as FSO doesn't need them to work.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 12:52:04 pm by Fury »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20071130124653EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls Norton AntiVirus, Norton Internet Security, Norton 360, and Norton SystemWorks 12.0 from your computer. If you use ACT! or WinFAX, back up those databases before you proceed.

Perhaps Norton changed the permissions for the registry keys or files that wxLauncher uses?