Author Topic: Volition Sold  (Read 14429 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
As part of THQ's bankruptcy process, Volition Inc., the company behind Freespace, was sold recently to Koch Media for a cool $22.3 million. Obviously, it's still early days, and there's no news regarding what the sale will mean for the company or any impact this may have on the Freespace franchise (if any at all).
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
PLEASESOMEONEBUYFREESPACEANDMAKEITOPENDOMAIN! I can dream right?

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
you have every right to. also i think there's your new custom message :P
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Jouzin

• Big FS fan...
    • Webpage
hmm so Koch Media is responsible for X2 and X3  and Volition is responsible for Freespace 1 and 2.
Maybe my fool's hope but Freespace 3 in near future maybe ? 

Offline Lorric

Ha.

They should just hire the people here to make their Freespace 3 for them.

It's not even that farfetched a thing to say. This is a dead genre. Who really has experience making such games these days? Meanwhile, people here have been doing it for years.

EDIT: Just the thought of EVERYONE who's anyone on here all on one big team to make a single game with a developer's budget behind them is mouthwatering.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I have nothing but horrible feelings about all of this.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Lorric

I have nothing but horrible feelings about all of this.

Why? Surely nothing bad can come of it?

Chances are they won't do anything at all, I'd be very surprised if they actually wanted to create a Freespace 3, and if they don't, then nothing happens.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I have nothing but bad feelings because all of a sudden everyone and their kitchen sink is getting ideas about the Freespace license, be it on the dev side or the fan side. And NOTHING good can come from that.

If FS3 happens or even seems it could happen, I give days before the community fragments itself to oblivion. This is really scaring me to the highest level.

I'm at a point where I'd rather Volition had been closed instead.

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
FreeSpace 3 (getting the overpriced license, marketing the franchise all over again, etc) is so far from cost-effective that they would, in all likelihood, not use the license.  The best we could hope for is a spiritual sequel.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I have nothing but bad feelings because all of a sudden everyone and their kitchen sink is getting ideas about the Freespace license, be it on the dev side or the fan side. And NOTHING good can come from that.

If FS3 happens or even seems it could happen, I give days before the community fragments itself to oblivion. This is really scaring me to the highest level.

I'm at a point where I'd rather Volition had been closed instead.

Oh, get over yourself already. Speculations about FS3 do not hurt anyone. Speculations about Volition's fate do not hurt anyone. Even if FS3 happens, it would not have the apocalyptic consequences you seem determined to believe in (I would like to think that we, as a community, are more resilient than you give us credit).

And wishing that Volition would have closed? What kind of bull**** is that? :v: makes more (and more profitable!) things than FS these days.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
You don't get to tell me what I have to do. I'd rather someone here thinks about the **** that is eventually going to happen, rather than we all happily head straight into the wall.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The thing is, you choose a pessimistic stance on the issue by the default, while I choose an optimistic one.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Lorric

What is the issue? Why would this place tear itself up?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
You mean between those that would like to create a new forum to deal with FS3, those that would rather everything FS stays at HLP, those that will think FS3 ruined FS, those that will think FS3 is better than FS1 and FS2, those that will think we should port all FS2 mods to FS3, those that will think we should stop developing FSO, those that will think it is good FS3 brought new people, those that will think it invalidated all post-Capella mods...

Oh look, I've already come up with more than half a dozen ways for the community to tear itself up in about 30 seconds. You've got enough or you want me to go on ? I've just started to scratch the tip of the iceberg here.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
What is the issue? Why would this place tear itself up?

Because with a new installment of the series new cannon lines will be drawn (not necessarily moving the canon forward) ... and the FS-Community as produced some really good fanon/fan-fiction over the years that might find itself invalidated. Add to that there is no pleaseing everyone,  conflicts based on personal tastes are bound to appear and since they will run along the fanon-vs-canon- or installment-X-vs-Y-lines they might get bitter very fast.

EDIT: Okay, this is much of the meat of what Matth just posted

I'm sceptical if something FS-related other than a spiritual successor will come out of it, and even that might be years away. Volition's current market-value is solely based on Saint's Row: The Third's rumoured successor and possible profits it holds for Koch Media. So sit back, don't get excited and have another beer.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 06:59:15 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

If it used the same physics style as FS, and had an active multi, I'd sure "move my focus", but that doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy FS2 like I enjoy FS1 now (well okay, FS1 >  FS2, but still.. *grins at Battuta*) and it doesn't mean I wouldn't be around for the FSO guys if they continued on (which, honestly, why wouldn't they? they've done amazing work so far).
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I can see a bigger divide/argument over :v: post sale not being canon. I'm sure it's come up before somewhere..

This is all hypothetical anyway. Unless Admiral Bosch and a Vasudan end up in Saints Row 4 i doubt we'll see the Shivans this side of actually colonising Capella.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I do not think, that this will affect Freespace anyway. It is the same after THQ bought Volition back then... you never heard from Summoner 3, Descent 4 or FreeSpace 3 again.

And i have to say, i do not want a FreeSpace 3... a few years ago one from HLP interviewed one of the :v: guys and we know, they never thought about how to solute this shivan problem created in FreeSpace 2 with a fleet of juggernaughts that can blow up stars or what happened to Aken Bosch.

We have many theories we can play in fan-made campaigns and we can choose which continuiation we like the most. An official sequel could destroy it, i think, because we would know "No, it is a complete different story". And because :v: do not have a master plan when they created the story of FreeSpace 2, they would think about a story for FS3 only today, where their thoughs can be already influenced by Blue Planet, Inferno or other "Sequel-Total Conversions" they heard of... i do not think, that this is worth it, at all.

I think the best official sequel is, if there are no official sequel... :-)
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
But they had a script and a reference bible :p
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
You mean between those that would like to create a new forum to deal with FS3, those that would rather everything FS stays at HLP, those that will think FS3 ruined FS, those that will think FS3 is better than FS1 and FS2, those that will think we should port all FS2 mods to FS3, those that will think we should stop developing FSO, those that will think it is good FS3 brought new people, those that will think it invalidated all post-Capella mods...

Oh look, I've already come up with more than half a dozen ways for the community to tear itself up in about 30 seconds. You've got enough or you want me to go on ? I've just started to scratch the tip of the iceberg here.

So you're saying that once the community has differing opinions about something, we'll no longer be able to work together? :wtf: :lol:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill