Author Topic: OpenAL Soft weirdness  (Read 2261 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
While I was setting up FS2 from scratch, I downloaded OpenAL Soft 1.15.1. Copied the 32-bit DLL from the zip-file to FS2 dir and renamed it as OpenAL32.dll.

Old 5.5g launcher
- Appcrash if the dll is named as OpenAL32.dll.
Code: [Select]
Faulting application name: Launcher.exe_Launcher Application, version: 5.5.0.6, time stamp: 0x4c85a270
Faulting module name: Launcher.exe, version: 5.5.0.6, time stamp: 0x4c85a270
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00010433
Faulting process id: 0xf80
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce0893158c286d
Faulting application path: C:\Games\FreeSpace2\Launcher.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Games\FreeSpace2\Launcher.exe
Report Id: 543e682a-7486-11e2-991b-00a0d5ffffae

Wxlauncher
- Can't detect OpenAL if named as OpenAL32.dll.

FSO debug
- Detects and initializes OpenAL correctly and audio work just fine.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
FSO debug was built by you? Which version/where did you get it?

Where is OpenAL32.dll installed? FSO directory, wxLauncher bin directory, windows system32 directory?
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Official 3.6.16 build.
Copied the 32-bit DLL from the zip-file to FS2 dir

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Official 3.6.16 build.
Copied the 32-bit DLL from the zip-file to FS2 dir
Okay, I seem to have missed that. One of the pitfalls of how wxLauncher works is you will either need to install things like that globally (that is, the windows system32 folder) or for both FS2 and wxLauncher.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Okay, copied the dll to wxlauncher dir too and now it doesn't complain about missing OpenAL. Now it gives "Unable to open device" message, whatever that might mean. Audio settings are available in the launcher in any case. I'd still like to get the classic launcher to work though, because it's still the only windows launcher that is portable.

I was having problems with OpenAL 1.15.1 on Linux; try downgrading to 1.14.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Tried it now, old launcher still crashes with it.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Have you tried running the 5.5g launcher as an Administrator one time on the computer?

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Yup, same results.