Author Topic: Newbie Projects -- Projects suitable for new developers  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Echelon9

Newbie Projects -- Projects suitable for new developers
For those with basic C/C++ development experience that have been wanting to get involved with working on the open-source Freespace 2 engine, a new Wiki page has been setup that outlines -- almost step-by-step -- some easy projects to get started on for adding new features to Freespace 2 Open.

Newbie Projects aims to reduce the barriers to entry for new open source developers.

The projects have been identified by more experienced coders and a series of patches suggested, with corresponding locations in the codebase, to implement each feature.

• Please create a thread on the HLP forums with your proposed patches attached or link to a Github pull request.
  • Feedback will be provided and comments suggested on your patches -- we will recognise they may be your first contributions to an open source project!
  • Further information can be found at Developer Reference on the Freespace Wiki -- including how to download the source and contact details if you'd like to chat with developers

I'd like to see our new coders tackle these. If experienced coders have other identified simple features, please add them to the Newbie Projects Wiki page.

Idea based off the excellent Mesa Newbie Projects. Go check them out too!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Newbie Projects -- Projects suitable for new developers
This is an excellent idea. :yes:

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Re: Newbie Projects -- Projects suitable for new developers
oh, ****, I didn't realize FSO was on github. cool!
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together