Author Topic: well THAT was frustrating! ("A Game of TAG")  (Read 13636 times)

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
well THAT was frustrating! ("A Game of TAG")
I don't know why, but I had great difficulty completing this mission without losing the Lucidity AWACS ship, even on the Very Easy setting.  The walkthrough on the Wiki said "this mission is easier than it looks" but that wasn't the case for me.  I don't know if I just suck that bad at this game or what!  :)  I read a couple of other threads on here, and it seems that for most people is it super easy or super hard, but not much in between was expressed.  I wasn't frustrated to the point of quitting like someone else did with Bearbaiting, but I did finally enable cheats to make the Lucidity invulnerable.  THEN it was a walk in the park! 

Still hard to believe that after all these years of playing I have not yet finished the FS2 campaign.  But I want to finish it before tackling Blue Planet.  I was watching a BP video and my 5 year old said "I want to see that movie when it comes out."  His mind was blown when I told him it was a game that I have rather than a movie.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Re: well THAT was frustrating! ("A Game of TAG")
You had a hard time with this mission because its balancing is ****ing terribad. It looks like Stormkeeper is to blame for that sentence and I agree with its predecessor. The TAG stuff can be tricky and IIRC there are some bugs with it as well, and you're in a ****ty Great War-era fighter with ridiculously bad primaries.

lol the same edit is responsible for "You're not properly armed to face those fighters, but you're Alpha 1 so it doesn't matter". Apparently good mission balance is a figment of the imagination!

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
TBH ian't ever remember saving the Lucidity on all my plays through, and I think I've always played on easy or very easy! I think you have to turn the difficulty up for you to be able to do this.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Yes, it is a really frustrating mission, the only way to beat it is by having a streak of luck or being amazingly good at dogfighting in freespace.
el hombre vicio...

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
I saved the Lucidity. I didn't even find it to be that hard.

The tricky part is hitting the shivans with your TAG missiles. Keep a good eye on the missile lead indicator, and try to either get on their tails or do head-on passes. And use your Subachs too. Dual-firing the TAGS can make aiming easier.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This mission was never all that frustrating in retail.  It sounds like some SCP change affected the balance at some point.

That's not good enough Command, we're not properly armed out here...
[Command] Thousands of lives blah blah fight or die you have your orders (like always) ;-)
Roger that Command, we'll get the job done - AAAAGhH!!

Offline Luis Dias

its actually one of my favs, love catching those shivans with my tag missiles and watching them being beamraepd to shreds :D

I usually end up being between the Shivan and the ULTRA aaah beam...

I never had too much problem saving the Lucidity; maybe a few replays, but that's on Medium. What I find insane is trying to save the Fenris cruiser vs. Delta wing (wait, is that a different mission...?). Never been able to save that Fenris.

Offline Luis Dias

yeah that one's pretty much impossible.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
You are thinking about another mission, into the Maelstrom I think?
Never mind that, it's Proving grounds.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yes, in Proving Grounds it was pretty much impossible to save the Oberon even in retail.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Yes, in Proving Grounds it was pretty much impossible to save the Oberon even in retail.

I pulled it off on Very Easy. The trick: Morning Stars and EMP missiles. Which of course don't help much during the real part of the mission. The Oberon always ended up getting destroyed by the Shivans anyway, so it felt fairly pointless.

If Delta's weapons are supposed to be in training mode, how are they able to damage to Oberon?
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
hardest mission in the game. can beat campaign on insane, never this mission beat even once.
the closest time i got i was killed by friendly beam fire from the warspite. no i was not between the shivans and the ship - i was chasing down the bombers and shooting/tagging them...
doesn't help that you're forced to fly an obsolete fighter with useless primaries (helllooooo prom-r) and even more useless dumbfire secondaries mounted in terribly-positioned mountings for dumbfire usage

I didn't recall protecting the fenris from the pegasi all that difficult even. Always loaded up teh morning stars.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I've definitely beaten this on insane but it may have been ~3.6.12 and everybody else says it's really ****ing hard so I believe they're probably right (because I am a space ace).

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I've definitely beaten this on insane but it may have been ~3.6.12 and everybody else says it's really ****ing hard so I believe they're probably right (because I am a space ace).

That made enchilada come out of my nose.  I'm using 3.7.1 (build 10367) and MediaVPs 2014; it never dawned on me to try 3.6.12 or any other build.  Although I had thought about trying straight retail, but I like the prettiness of what I have now.  :)
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

It's not overly hard persé. It's mainly that in a lot of other missions, you can choose how you handle the situation, be it close range dogfighting, furying everyone to death, long range missiles, that sorta thing. A game of tag forces you to pull hit and run, which does not suit everyone. Combine this with the Ulysses, which focuses on dodging as the primary means of dealing with enemies as opposed to the stand up fighting Perseus and the heavy-weight brawler Hercules, and you really have got something that can push some people far, far away from their comfort zone.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 01:00:16 pm by -Joshua- »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Or it might actually be bugged due to some behavior change that's broken it since the era when I thought it was easy. I'll probably have to go back to it and run a compare.

Deathspeed, I wouldn't bother trying to go back to 3.6.12 - I'm just saying that because I last played through FS2 Retail when 3.6.12 was our latest build.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I too remember this being easy normally and then really hard when I played it last (3.7.1)