Author Topic: fs port errors and fs port mvp crash  (Read 4886 times)

Offline GraZC

fs port errors and fs port mvp crash
Hi everyone,

First i apologise in advance if I've done something really stupid, I've been attempting to understand how to get this all working and so far this is what I've done;

- Installed FS2 GOG to e:\games\freespace 2\fsone
- Used FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar (v2.1.5) and installed the complete setting
- Ran FS2 Open Launcher 5.5g
- Selected fs2_open_3_7_2_RC2_SSE.exe as the executable to use

Here is where two  problems have risen;

#1 If i choose FSPort MediaVPs v3.4 mod the game will run however i will get an ingame warning about their being 71 warnings/errors.
Choosing FSPort v3.4 returns nothing like this.

#2 I have attempted to use any/all of the DEBUG exe's to see if i can figure out what those 71 warning/errors were, but unfortunately doing so results in an instant game crash, here is the Warning! as well as the fs2_open.log

Windows Warning
fs2_open.log

Thank you to anyone who can help me sort this out.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: fs port errors and fs port mvp crash
RC2 is known to crash a lot. You might want to try an earlier build.

Looks like the problem here is that you don't have the 3.6.12 MediaVPs installed. Grab those, install them to /fsone/mediavps_3612, you should be in good shape.

Offline GraZC

Thank you! I believe it may have solved the issue.

Would it be wise i get in touch with who made fso installer to let him know it does not install the mediavps_3612 so others dont fall into the same problem?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Thank you! I believe it may have solved the issue.

Would it be wise i get in touch with who made fso installer to let him know it does not install the mediavps_3612 so others dont fall into the same problem?
Already done.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

The installer does select the MVPs 3.6.12 and attempt to download them, so this is not as obvious a problem as it may first sound.  Could you upload your logs folder?  This should be in the same location where you ran FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar.  Just zip it up and attach it to your post.

Offline GraZC

The installer does select the MVPs 3.6.12 and attempt to download them, so this is not as obvious a problem as it may first sound.  Could you upload your logs folder?  This should be in the same location where you ran FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar.  Just zip it up and attach it to your post.

I would if it existed, The .jar is located at E:\Games\Freespace 2\fsone\_installer and no other files other than the installer are there.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
If that where you ran the .jar from originally? Sounds like a place the installer would save itself to after being run for later use.

Offline GraZC

If that where you ran the .jar from originally? Sounds like a place the installer would save itself to after being run for later use.

Yeah it's where i placed it and run it from, wouldn't want to re-do it all as it took quite some time to download everything.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
It doesn't matter where the .jar file is, it just matters what directory you were in when you ran it.  i.e. if you were at the command prompt and typed this:

Code: [Select]
C:\tmp>  java -jar E:\Games\Freespace 2\fsone\_installer\FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar

Then the logs directory will be: C:\tmp\logs
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Check the directory that your command prompt opens to by default then I guess, unless you changed directories first. Or you could do a search for the file.

Offline GraZC

Check the directory that your command prompt opens to by default then I guess, unless you changed directories first. Or you could do a search for the file.

the default is c:\windows\system32

Whats the name of the file?

- I also ran the .jar by right clicking and open with java

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Apparently there is a logs folder and it looks like the one zipped up here:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=87537.msg1750878#msg1750878

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Or you could search on your computer for fsoinstaller.log.

Offline GraZC

Or you could search on your computer for fsoinstaller.log.

Had a look through both drives for that file, Cannot be found. Sorry :(

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Didyou specify to search unindexed and system locations?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Had a look through both drives for that file, Cannot be found. Sorry :(

Well... there really isn't any way I can help you without the log files.  It works when I test it myself.

As jr2 said, you should double-check that you really are searching your entire computer.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Right-click> open with java.... would that launch the installer from the jre directory, which is in program files, thus causing the log file attempt to be written to an unwritable location? Or no?

Edit: actually, wouldn't that redirect it to the VirtualStore folder in the user profile directory?

Anyways, GraZC, you could try using Everything Search, that's what I use, it's faster. Regardless, be sure whatever you use is actually set to search everywhere.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 09:06:17 pm by jr2 »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Right-click> open with java.... would that launch the installer from the jre directory, which is in program files, thus causing the log file attempt to be written to an unwritable location? Or no?
Then it would be in the VirtualStore and show up when searched for.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.