Author Topic: HLP Newsletter - July 2014  (Read 8480 times)

Offline Axem

HLP Newsletter - July 2014

I hope summer is treating everyone well! You know, if outside is too hot and humid, why not stay inside and play some FreeSpace campaigns? With that FreeSpace installer back in action, it's easier than ever to get some nice content.

Admiral Ralwood (aka MageKing17 if you're on IRC) took some time out of his monster bug hunting to make a voice acted demo mission for his personal project, Falcons Strike First. Details are a little sketchy but according to him…
"It's not very good."

W-wait. That's horrible! Be sure to play it and give him some nice constructive advice!

Hey, you know Inferno? Everyone loves Inferno. You know what everyone else loves? Screenshots. Well lookie here.

I'm content now.

TheHound has some pretty screenshots, and even a bit of fluff text for his Venece Mirror campaign. Like we have this neat little Fenris-like ship.

When LSR risen in Laramis to overthrow the oppressive GTVA goverment, they still lacked numbers, and Midgard was just an answer to this. This ship, nicknamed a "cyan fenris" has been refitted with number of unknown technologies possessed by LSR, and mass produced in their secret shipyard to fill the gaps as screening ships for their battle groups.

Secret shipyards?! Sounds spine-tingly-dingly!

Lepanto gives us an update on his Sophrosyne campaign:
Work on the demo has progressed slower than I'd hoped; motivation has been low, I'm working on other FS and non-FS projects, and building a detailed modpack is tedious. I still hope to release the demo by the end of the month, but no promises.

Take your time! If you rush through it, you'll be cleaning up all these annoying errors for months after release… (I know how that goes) On the plus side, he gives us a preview of his beam flare gameplay concept.

And Rheyah gives us some great screenshots and some great writing for Shetland/Ephesus!
They seem to understand that I am unlike them.  I have never seen them eat or speak, even to me and yet day after day a receptacle of some foul liquid is brought to my chamber, if you can call this such a place.  The first time, I was forced to choke it down.  Now, as the hours, days and weeks pass me by, I grow accustomed to its taste.  It has a metallic tang to it, much like I imagine a tube of mercury might taste were it not lethal.  I did not ask them for this.  They simply seemed to understand.

Yeah, I don't think I'll be having the soup. Maybe just some chocolate popcorn.

That's more like it.

And in just a interesting 7-year bump to a thread, Fregle compiled a list of chronologically ordered campaigns from the around the Ancient Shivan War to time FreeSpace 2 takes place. Not that you should play them in that order if you're just starting out, but if you've played one campaign there, it might be interesting to play another in the same time frame. See if they connect at all!

by niffiwan

The 3.7.2 Release Candidate (RC) phase is steaming ahead with the release of RC3 this month. RC4 is probably due "soon", we're just seeing if we can get a few more mantis tickets resolved/fixed before its released.

New features! (with a few "big" bugs thrown in)

• Fix a bug in the when-argument sexp - MageKing17 (also known as the "BP: WIH: Her Finest Hour: artillery bugged out" bug)
  • Fix a bug in the campaign persistent variable code - MageKing17 (also known as the "BP: WIH: Her Finest Hour: too many spaceframes lost" bug)
  • Add support for voice acting in fiction viewer - m!m (now all you need to do is find someone to record the audio!)
  • Added multiple scripting features related to messaging as requested by Axem - m!m (Axem has used these to create a scripted HUD messages gauge, see below for details)
  • Raise MAX_PATH_LEN to 256 so FSO can run in long paths - niffiwan (triggered by the Steam release, this lets FSO run when installed in locations like "Program Files")
  • Fix loadout (Ship/Weapon Select effect) rendering black models or no effect - MageKing17 (fixes a very obvious bug for people with AMD video cards)
  • Fix beam sounds not panning correctly - MageKing17 (this is a bug, but its such a visible one that its worth mentioning here!)
  • Add arg so end-campaign sexp can ignore the death screen - niffiwan (allows a FREDer to prevent the end-campaign sexp from triggering when the player is dead)
  • Fix various issues with ships in nebula - MageKing17 (fixes another very noticeable bug, especially with mediavps_2014)
  • Add a new setting to game_settings.tbl, "$Briefing Window FOV:" under Graphics - The E (allow customisation of the FOV used in briefings; which was recently reverted to its retail value)
  • Allow missions to exit to mainhall on successful completion - niffiwan (this is a small part of something really cool that Axem is cooking up)
  • Text color tags do not work in debriefings. Also allows color spans in text to cover line breaks - MageKing17 (now your debriefs can also look like they have Christmas lights!)
  • Adds new section to game_settings.tbl, "$Disable Hard Coded Message Head Ani Files:" under a new section "#FRED SETTINGS" - FUBAR-BDHR (allow TCs to prevent the FS2 retail head anis from showing in FRED)
  • Allow any resolution for mainhalls - Yarn (HD mainhalls are coming to you soon!)

Here's the current bugs scoreboard. The bugs on mantis have taken a beating - great work! And there have been lots of Coverity issues fixed as well, so it's been a very good month for FSO bugfixing :yes:
                        fixed new delta outstanding
Coverity (this month) 38            6          32            407             
Mantis (last 30 days) 36            20          16            176               
(Mantis includes 34 feature requests, so outstanding bugs is really 142)

DahBlount has put out a call for info from those people using Intel video cards. Historically FSO and Intel haven't played nicely together, Intel OpenGL support has been a bit dodgey in the past and because of this, none (IIRC) of the current SCP coders use an Intel video card. However, recent Intel cards have come a long way so it's good to re-examine the current "prejudice" vs Intel cards to see if the issues are still valid. After all they're still a very widely used video card (bundling them with an excellent CPU will tend to do that :D). Anyway, lots of waffle there, so TLDR; if you're using an Intel video card with FSO, drop by the thread and send DahBlount the fs2_open.log info he's after.

In the news again, DahBlount is continuing to work on the effort to add native DAE support to FSO, see the continuing discussion here.

ngld has returned to continue work on adding features to mainhalls. There's two mantis tickets waiting on some code review prior to being committed. You can see an awesome video of how these features combined with the HD mainhalls from Yarn will look :)

m!m's Chromium builds continue to make progress, adding support for CSS3 3D transforms. There don't seem to be any new screenshots or videos though :p

Achillon has done some work on joystick response curves. Every joystick is different, and gamepads are even more different again. The same response curve can't be optimal for everyone, so this is all about letting people choose their own response curve. (IIRC, Scott Manley in his Diaspora review mentioned that he would have liked to have tweaked the joystick response curve).  Anyway, if you've got a joystick and you feel that FSO isn't treating it right drop by the thread, grab the builds and post some feedback :)
Flaming Sword has updated his performance improvements builds, testing & feedback (as always) would be great.
Swifty has continued his work on deferred lighting and soft shadows and the bugs are being ironed out. Unfortunately it seems that different vendors implementations of OpenGL are not making this an easy process, so always testing & feedback will be appreciated.

Goober5000 has released four updates to the installer this month. Most of them are bugfixes and polish, but standing out is support for mod dependencies. As it sounds, this means that if someone selects a mod that requires mediavps_3612, then they should automatically be installed as well (assuming of course that the installer files are setup correctly). And the installer now handles 7z archives much more efficiently, cutting wait times and bandwidth requirements in half! Super good if you're hosting your mods with limited bandwidth.

Over to scripting, and as I mentioned earlier here's Axems scripted HUD messages gauge. Most obviously it makes the messages much easier to read when you have something like a bright nebula/skybox in the mission backgroud. It also has some extras like being able to control how fast the text is written to the screen. There's a video in the link so go have a look! (soon to be used in at least four mods/TCs that I know of)
In addition to the message gauge, Axem has also released his Journal + System Viewer scripts (available separately or bundled!). These both add a lot of options to flesh out a mods background, and I'm particularly impressed by amount of info that BtA has put into the System Viewer. Again, videos are in the link so go have a look!

Betrayal has some 158th related content going for us this month. First a release of a high detail Evangelist, a carrier with some whirly-spinners (or propellers) for keeping afloat in all that space ether.

And he's also got a mirror up from 158th Exposition content release. There are some neat ships there if you're looking to beef up your own mod pack.

UndyingNephalim gives us an amazing preview for their Star Fox related mod, Event Horizon. It looks amazing and it's great to see some of the content from Shadows of Lylat get reused for this! I can't wait to see what comes from this!

fightermedic has an update to that nifty science ship in their Lego inspired ship building thread. I really love the lighting coming off of those cylinders.

Bryan See has completely overhauled his Shivan Battleship Sabriel, and he's looking for feedback on how to make it look more "shivan". It can definitely be a tricky thing to get down well.

Col. Hornet is back with a slight update on his GTCa Hera carrier. Something about engine flaps. I don't know, my mind was lost just gazing on this beauty of a ship.

Headdie is also back with some updates on his Vega-class Killstorm death-ship. (Class may be slightly exaggerated) Some neat multiparts and greebles are making this a fine looking piece of work.

DahBlount has some pretty nice detailing on his Zephyrus gas miner after Raven gave him some very nice pointers on it.

And then we've got our old pal Scooby, giving all sorts of Wing Commander ships a very nice makeover. They've got landing gear and everything!

This month isn't so much a tutorial as it is a "hey, look what you could do with this for fun." And "this" is simulated-hits, a mostly hidden variable attached to every ship.

Fun with simulated hull!

by mjn.mixael
Last month's theme was Anticipation. This really brought out some creative shots.
I loved this one from the moment I saw it. Hard to say exactly why.. but it just really makes me want to know what happens next!

Screencap Scoreboard:
Ckid - 1
Mpez - 2
AndrewofDoom - 1
tnathan475 - 1
The Hound - 1
As a reminder, we're going to do things slightly differently this year. Our many campaigns are filled with emotional ups, downs, and/or lackthereof. So we'll highlight that with a whole year's worth of emotional themes. I don't care what's in the image as long as it portrays the particular feeling for the month.
The new theme for July is Panic.

Watch those HUD gauges (especially that sneaky FPS gauge) and check out the Screencam Script to help you win a badge and bragging rights. You can see the rules and the previous winners here on the Wiki.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 05:31:33 pm by Axem »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: HLP Newsletter - July 2014
  • Fix a bug in the when-argument sexp - MageKing17 (also known as the "BP: WIH: Her Finest Hour: too many spaceframes lost" bug)
No, that was the "Artillery Bug." The "too many spaceframes lost" bug was Campaign-Persistent Variables not resetting properly (which was also fixed).

• Add a new setting to game_settings.tbl, "$Briefing Window FOV:" under Graphics - MageKing17 (allow customisation of the FOV used in briefings; which was recently reverted to its retail value)
I most certainly did not do that. Niffiwan, were you perhaps in a hurry when you wrote that section?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
  • Fix a bug in the when-argument sexp - MageKing17 (also known as the "BP: WIH: Her Finest Hour: too many spaceframes lost" bug)
No, that was the "Artillery Bug." The "too many spaceframes lost" bug was Campaign-Persistent Variables not resetting properly (which was also fixed).

• Add a new setting to game_settings.tbl, "$Briefing Window FOV:" under Graphics - MageKing17 (allow customisation of the FOV used in briefings; which was recently reverted to its retail value)
I most certainly did not do that. Niffiwan, were you perhaps in a hurry when you wrote that section?

Gah! Sorry about the mistakes, my only excuse is that I was quite sick when I wrote that section of the newsletter  :nervous:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Axem

A patch has been applied and the new newsletter compiled fine. :)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Nice Work as always guys, posted to FB and Reddit
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline CT27

I didn't know this place had a Facebook page.  Could you give the FB link please?

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

I didn't know this place had a Facebook page.  Could you give the FB link please?

np

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Hardlightproductions/?fref=nf
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Yarn

Add a new setting to game_settings.tbl, "$Briefing Window FOV:" under Graphics - Yarn(allow customisation of the FOV used in briefings; which was recently reverted to its retail value)
I didn't do that; I believe Goober did. All I did was change the FOV back to what it was in retail.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Add a new setting to game_settings.tbl, "$Briefing Window FOV:" under Graphics - Yarn(allow customisation of the FOV used in briefings; which was recently reverted to its retail value)
I didn't do that; I believe Goober did. All I did was change the FOV back to what it was in retail.
Going by the commit log, it looks like The_E did the game_settings.tbl part.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Lorric

There's so much packed into this month's newsletter. Just so much going on right now.

I never really know what to say, so just a thank you to Axem for keeping these going. It's a great way to get updated on everything that's going on, and just great to see it all in one place. :)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
My biggest regret, is that I never enter the screenshot competetion....
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Lorric

My biggest regret, is that I never enter the screenshot competetion....
It's never too late to start. :)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
My PC is dead and I can't bear using my girlfriends Macbook Pro for gaming... It's only good for Lightroom.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Going by the commit log, it looks like The_E did the game_settings.tbl part.

Damnit! Sorry about that :(
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...