Author Topic: [SOLVED] Drastic frame drops  (Read 1867 times)

[SOLVED] Drastic frame drops
Hi! Here's my problem.

The game works great, I have always steady 60 FPS, but when I hit other ship, and it starts... flaming (? in space? But we have shockwaves, so nvm  ;) ) my framerate drasticly drops, even to 5-10 FPS. So, is there any way to disable this "flames", because I can live without them ;)

Here is the screenshot to show about what I'm talking (resized):
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 12:46:02 pm by DarkAlchemy »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
What's your CPU and video card? Does this happen only with FSPort?

And as far as I'm aware, you can't turn the flames off.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

What's your CPU and video card? Does this happen only with FSPort?

And as far as I'm aware, you can't turn the flames off.

Yep, retail is working fine.
CPU is Intel i7-3630QM and GPU is GeForce GTX 660M (yep, it's a laptop), also 8 GB RAM

Offline LHN91

Assuming you have an Optimus enabled laptop - I seem to remember reports recently of a bug whereby FSO would refuse to run on the Nvidia chip regardless of the setting in the Nvidia Control Panel, instead always running on the Intel chip.

Edit: A fs2_open.log would let us know if this is the case. Instructions are here http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=56279.msg1180359#msg1180359

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 12:11:37 pm by LHN91 »

Assuming you have an Optimus enabled laptop - I seem to remember reports recently of a bug whereby FSO would refuse to run on the Nvidia chip regardless of the setting in the Nvidia Control Panel, instead always running on the Intel chip.

Edit: A fs2_open.log would let us know if this is the case. Instructions are here http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=56279.msg1180359#msg1180359

To be honest, you gave me a clue to fix my problem ;) I just misclicked the .exe file and chose "fred" to run with nVidia card, not the actual game.
Now it works fine! :)

THX, problem solved.

Offline LHN91

Re: [SOLVED] Drastic frame drops
Glad I could help  :D