Author Topic: Bug in TowerDefense Mission  (Read 1976 times)

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Bug in TowerDefense Mission
In the wonderfully surprising tower defense level, there is a new surprise in the 2015 release. The tanks miss their platforms...

In the screenshots below, most of my turrets failed to deploy. I watched one of the deployment projectiles flying in a wonderful circle around my platform before finally vanishing before my eyes (guess the missile's time-to-live was over).

Please fix  :)

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
Re: Bug in TowerDefense Mission
I had this as well, followed by a crash-bug report (which was odd, since I was not running a debug build), and when I went back into the game all was fine, tanks were in place as planned.

Edit:  Played it through again 5 minutes ago, issue did not repeat, tanks landed on platforms straight away.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 03:17:40 pm by Damage »
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
This issue is really hard to reproduce. If you get it, just restart your game.

Offline Axem

The script is pretty straight forward in that regard. The drop pod flares are actually missile objects that have the platform targetted. I'm not sure why they miss sometimes, they have a ton of time to point correctly at the platform. I haven't actually seen it happen myself I'm afraid. Maybe there's a countermeasures screwing it up? (FreeSpace, why must you make everything so hard...)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Hahahaha I'd laugh so, so hard if that were it.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Failed to reproduce it, sorry. CMs might be a good idea actually...                   though my feeling was that the time of drop is important, I dropped most of the stuff fairly late, shortly before the hostile transports arrive.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

I get this bug about 50% of the time, so reproducing it won't be a problem. Anything I can do to help?

Offline rance

I've had this bug to. The tanks miss their mark and end up spinning around their target platform until they blow up. Is there anyway to force a second firing if the first doesn't reach it's destination?

Offline Axem

Well... I can sort of reproduce this by having countermeasures continuously spawn near a platform... But that doesn't explain why it would happen on such a large scale though...

Can someone where this happens regularly please download the table attached and put it in BPComplete/data/tables and run the mission and see if it still happens regularly. The seeker strength for the drop pod "missile" is now 2 billion something instead of 2. Dunno if it'll fix it but it'll help cut down on what it isn't.

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

Bad news. At first I thought the table had worked, because the bug wasn't happening anymore. Then I removed the table, and it still wasn't happening. What the heck? It used to happen about half the time, and I don't think I changed any settings between now and then.

Offline Axem

I guess I fixed a problem that didn't quite need fixing... :nono:

Honestly I don't know what could be causing the problem. Something is pushing the missiles off course and it doesn't have the ability to right itself enough so it just circles around the target, trying to hit it. The rotation turn times for the drop pods are 1 second, the same as a Harpoon missile, so it should be an easy hit.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
After the initial curve, can you $substitute a variant with much faster turn times?

Offline Axem

No, the weapon collisions are carefully monitored to look for weapons the script creates, substitute won't allow me to do that anymore.  :(

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Wouldn't that be spawning a submunition, not using $substitute? Do we not have scripting hooks into the spawning process?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Axem

Oh, looks like I'm smarter than I look. I thought I was watching the spawned weapons, but not so. All the info goes to the platforms. (In my defense I wrote the script like a year and a half ago)

The platforms just need to be hit by any Drop Pod weapon in order for them to advance to "deployed" status. This opens up other silly hacks... (For example with cheats you could start deployment on a platform, switch your secondaries to "Drop Pod Effect#New", fire it at the platform and suddenly it should become deployed.