Author Topic: Temporary Fix to loading crashes  (Read 4938 times)

Temporary Fix to loading crashes
After a couple of days of searching several people have reported that their games have been crashing to their desktop during the load screen. The Music .vp has a problem with the campaign missions in places such as Freespace 2, Derelict, and many more I'm sure.

The solution is simple but takes a bit of downloading. You must get rid of mv_music.vp, this means getting rid of the zpack and downloading everything else individually.

I've heard of reinstalling doing the trick, but I've tried this (you don't wanna know how many) times.

Can someone fix this bug because it obviously has something to do with the music vp.

And this is the funniest smilie on this board!
:headz:

Which package is the music.vp in?

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,28388.0.html

hell, just go there and download everything but the zpack and get rid of the zpack and music things if u had already downloaded them, it'll work

Originally posted by Chief Wiggum
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,28388.0.html

hell, just go there and download everything but the zpack and get rid of the zpack and music things if u had already downloaded them, it'll work

THANK YOU! THIS FIXED MY PROBLEM!

Offline Falcon

:welcome:
Chief Wiggum

Welcome to Hard Light Productions! Many people will lead you to believe that there are exits throughout the building, but the real truth is that when you entered the building you came through a one-way door, there is no escape! There are several weapons available for use, from flamethrowers to plasma rifles, but the lack of napalm and the old age of the rifles only make them good for bludgeoning tools. If for some reason you find yourself venturing into the airducts, you will encounter a shivan, if it's Carl then just hand over your lunch and you may get out alive.  Also be sure to use the search function regularly and don't ever, ever mention the words Freespace and the number 3 together! Enjoy your stay.

So glad I could help!

Originally posted by Falcon

Chief Wiggum

Welcome to Hard Light Productions! Many people will lead you to believe that there are exits throughout the building, but the real truth is that when you entered the building you came through a one-way door, there is no escape! There are several weapons available for use, from flamethrowers to plasma rifles, but the lack of napalm and the old age of the rifles only make them good for bludgeoning tools. If for some reason you find yourself venturing into the airducts, you will encounter a shivan, if it's Carl then just hand over your lunch and you may get out alive.  Also be sure to use the search function regularly and don't ever, ever mention the words Freespace and the number 3 together! Enjoy your stay.

Isn't the point of the source code project to do things that weren't possible before like creating new doors, making better weapons, and typing arrrrwalktheplank to get a better looking pirate ship to scare Carl away?

Thank you for the welcome party....

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
The attached zip contains the retail music.tbl, which should override the one in mv_music.vp or mv_zpack.vp (Thus fixing any related crashes)
-C

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
arrrrwalktheplank is cool. someone needs to edit the ship's weapons, though. the ship is wimpy. BUT, if you have the patience and the processor, you can keep typing it to make a BoE-ish fleet.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

you could also just download Qvp , open z_pack.vp and delete the music folder saving yourself allot of downloads :p
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,29428.0.html
QuickVP - the power user VP editor

I'm really new to this whole modding buisness and have no idea how to edit .vp's and a lot of other people are too.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'd have reccomended that one SabrWolf but when the SCP fix the problem you'll then have to download music.vp to replace the stuff you deleted.

Download the music table like WMC suggested. I posted exactly the same solution myself a little while back :)

While I'm here welcome aboard Chief Wiggum. If you're helping troubleshoot from your very first post you're doubly welcome :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by Chief Wiggum
I'm really new to this whole modding buisness and have no idea how to edit .vp's and a lot of other people are too.

Indeed. I think people tend to forget the number of new people signing up of late, and assume everyone has the "simple" ability to edit the VPs to their liking.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

thank you

Originally posted by Black Wolf

Indeed. I think people tend to forget the number of new people signing up of late, and assume everyone has the "simple" ability to edit the VPs to their liking.

with Qvp its as "simple" as deleting a directory on your hard-drive, surely anyone who can install SCP can do that cant he? file->open here's the dir press delete, close program, no brain surgery here.
QuickVP - the power user VP editor

Qvp? yeah we have never heard of that either. We are the people that just started modding our freespaces and have gone crazy with it. So much so that we've damaged our games more than once and had to reinstall them, and don't feel like doing it again. We don't take chances...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Quick VP is brand new. SabrWolf only finished it recently.

Speaking of Quick VP I've given it a try but I'm a little confused. Is it possible to make a completely new VP with it? Cause for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to do that.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Arraxis

• http://www.avidgamers.com/avp
Chief Wiggum, are you the same person who wrote a review on Gamefaqs about FS 2?

BTW, thanks for the music.tbl. It solved the Crash To Desktop on Derelict.
If Command wanted your opinion they'd promote you to Admiral!

At your service *bows*

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
now, just tell us how to get FS1 music to work with FS2 vanilla :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta