Author Topic: The ugliest ship in Freespace...  (Read 19767 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
The ugliest ship in Freespace...
...is getting an overhaul.

The cargo container's already done, though it may have some revision before release.

(These are FS2 stock textures, not Lightspeed's.)
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: The ugliest ship in Freespace...
Are those iles or a UV map?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Reaction to cargo container:

:D

:ick:

:ick:

;7

:wtf:

-C

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Looking nice :D

That thing always reminds me of a baby Sathy to be honest.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
It looks very... matrix-y...

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Is it(the ship, not the container) really supposed to be that round?
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Meh, creative liscence, it looks cool.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The Dis wasn't all that bad, but that cargo container is way better than the original abomination of a model. :yes: Although the red splotches look weird, like dried blood or something. :wtf:

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
/*model animation*/
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
/*model animation*/

:nod:

I wonder if you could give it some kind of gnashing attack...
-C

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It would be the FS version of the D2 diamond claw. :D

That Dis model looks a little too round/smooth at the moment though compared to the original. It needs some sharp angles.

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
It's interesting how the least important vessels can have excellent artistic licence applied to them. Of course, I always wish that someone would just make the Medusa HTL or Zeus HTL  ;7
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
BW: They're tiled textures. I'm just really good at using them. ;7

Mefustae: Second Renaissance, Pt. II, was a big inspiration for redoing this.

CP: I wanted to have the same sort of compartments as the underside of the Azrael.

Bobboau: Interesting! I'll have to read up more about that. Is there a thread or Wiki page about it I can refer to?

Ghost and CP: It is too round at the moment, yes. It's very much an early work, I wanted to get out some ideas for the front end first. Then I got an idea for doing the cargo, and... well, there you go.

Since the Dis is so awful/underused, would anyone mind if I repositioned the turrets? There's only four Shivan Light Lasers and multipart turrets just look silly.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Online Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
/*model animation*/

:nod:

I wonder if you could give it some kind of gnashing attack...

Or it could pinch you really hard  :drevil:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 03:56:01 pm by Col. Fishguts »
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
As long as you keep the same amount of turrets, I don't think it'll matter.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Well looks alright.....but to me, it looks like one of the tripods from war of the worlds............. :D

The other day I ran into one of the few Dis in FS2, and I remember thinking 'ho ho, I wonder what the 'zomg organic and curvy' Shivanites say about the flying breadbox'.  And then someone makes it organic and curvy.  Bah. :)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
BW: They're tiled textures. I'm just really good at using them. ;7

Are you going to get them baked or something then? The dis doesn't have that much unique surface area - a carefully designed UVMap could probably maintain most of the texure information on 1024, even 512.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
The Dis wasn't all that bad, but that cargo container is way better than the original abomination of a model. :yes:

Um, have you actually looked at the old Dis though?  I'm still scarred by those turrets.

And I've commented on this to Galemp over less public channels, but I'll say it here too.  I like the creative licence on this one.  There are certain places where it doesn't work, but the Dis was so horrid before that something new had to be done.  Also, I really like the cargo container, though I do wonder how it actually attaches to the freighter.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
one thing that realy needs to be changed is the front though, that is a prime spot for the shivan triangle, to put something totaly diferent there is just wrong.
other than that it's great so far.

this thread has a complete description of the ships table, includeing the animations stuff there, you also have to add $triggered to the submodel properties, or something like that, I wrote that stuff a while ago, I can't remember it all.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together