Meditations on the Abyss - Chapter 01 Version 1.1For FS2 Retail
Yes, that's right an FS2 Retail Campaign. What the hell? This is Chapter 1 of some over-ambitious campaign I started some years ago, I completed quite a few missions and then got very busy. Well, since I'm not busy at the moment I thought I'd at least finish the first chapter and release it. All Fredding, playtesting and playing was done using FS2 Retail, however I _assume_ that it'll work just fine with FSOpen. I would run FSOpen but without a real graphics card, the program crashes whenever I see a shockwave from a bomb or large ship exploding. It's unlikely that I'll ever finish the campaign, when first detailed out it was some 60 missions or so. But you never know, stranger things have happened. Any FREDing I do would probably be better served helping out another campaign, though with everyone doing FSOpen it would be a little hard to contribute at the moment. Introduction:
You play the role of Miranda Doué, the only daughter in a family of long-standing military tradition. Unlike most pilots, you yearn for assignments with low prestige. You'd rather spend your career behind the scenes, contributing to the well being of the GTVA rather than in the limelight of the frontlines. However, fate has something else in store for you.Features:-About a half dozen new single player missions-Two types of missions: Very Boring and Very Hard-Several 3rd Party ships from various authors (credited in readme), and from FSPort. Plus a couple table mods by me.-Lots and lots of dialogue, much of it rather poorly written-Note that this is designed as the intro to a larger campaign, so the first few missions are kinda slow. Similar to how Derelict and Homesick are both slow in the beginning. Most of the fun missions are near the end (well, one of them is fun anyway).Disclaimer:
1. The campaign does make some references to the events and ships of both Derelict and Warzone. However, I the sole author, have no association with those campaigns nor do I know who even made them, except of course that some of them are now involved with BWO. The references to Derelict/Warzone were made more for the sake of building upon past work, and most importantly because I wanted to use the GTFf Saphah. haha
2. Note that I have playtested each and every one of these missions quite extensively, however as the author, there still may be some large mission killing bugs that I'm unaware of simply because I'm unable to do the unexpected. Typically in those situations I do try to give some help in the messages so that the player can avoid breaking it the next time.
3. Some of the missions have a lot of dialogue, followed by combat. In extreme cases I have tried to make the combat fairly easy so the player doesn't have to go through all the damn dialogue again, but my definition of easy may differ from yours.
4. I have in many cases tried to create some unique missions, which are different from what I've seen before. However there are so many campaigns already, most of which I haven't played so that may not be the case. Also, if you feel that I've somehow ripped off a mission from an FSOpen campaign know that it's complete coincidence since I can't even play those darn missions! GRrrrrr
5. I hope it works in FSOpen but I honestly don't have a clue. Some of the 3rd party ships may look like crap due to them not having all the fancy glow textures and whatnot that have been added to the other FS2 ships. EDIT: One thing that doesn't seem to work is that the generic.wav isn't registering for the messages when I started the first mission, dunno what the problem is.
6. Apologies in advance to all Russians. Where to Get it:
Site 1: http://knossos.firenebula.com/FS2_campaign/mota_chapter1.zip
Site 2: http://members.shaw.ca/pbcbrown/fs2/mota_chapter1.zipFor FSOpen Users:
Many people (if not all, except me . . . )are experiencing a problem in what is a relatively simple mission. But the problem basically halts any progress in the campaign. Mad Bomber has devised a quick fix which effectively corrects the problem. You can find the zip below. Note that it uses some features that are only available in FS2Open. If anyone has a problem with Mission 7 in retail, let me know.http://knossos.firenebula.com/FS2_campaign/mota_chapter1FSO.zipmembers.shaw.ca/pbcbrown/fs2/mota_chapter1FSO.zip
Size: 1.6 MB
These are both my webpages so delay should be minimal barring some unforseen bandwidth restrictions I don't know about.Other Mirrors:http://www.freespacemods.net/download.php?view.53
(courtesy Swantz) -UpdatedHow to Install:
FS2 Retail: Place VP in main Freespace2 folder
FS2 Open: Place VP in FS2Open\foldernameofchoice\ then choose said folder as the MOD in the launcher (ie c:\FS2Open\mota\ )Audio Files:
I don't know why, but VPConstructor Suite doesn't like me doing subdirectories, so when I added a generic sound.wav for the messages, it doesnt appear in data/voice/special but rather just voice/special. I highly recommend you either extract the .wav from the VP or download this small zip file and put generic.wave in data/voice/special (or modname/data/voice/special for FSOpen) because there are a lot of messages.Known Bugs:
Version 1.1 - bug in Mission file#7 where support ship fails to dock with Alpha 1. For FSOpen users, refer to knew FSOpen zip downloads above. For retail users, please me let me know.
Version 1.0 - had a bug in Mission File #5, where the victory conditions could NOT be fulfilled on Very Easy or Easy. This has been fixed. If you've played this mission to the end and encountered that bug (or just plain failed the mission), instead of replaying the whole mission I'm providing a new VP which cuts out the tedious section. You can find it here:
FREDding, Writing, Playtesting, Playtesting more, Playtesing even more: Me (Akalabeth Angel aka Paul Brown)
Btw, if you think a mission is boring, try playtesting it 20 times over! Holy smokes!
Table Edits: Me as well
3rd Party ships: See Readme (for the sake of surprises)
Asteroid BG: I don't know who did this, I don't have the name anymore.
Feel free to voice any complaints, bug reports, flames, etcetera here.
I don't mind criticism, I'm a big boy, I won't cry.
Most of all, I hope you have fun playing the missions! Or at least _some_ of them.
Btw, if people want/need .RAR files I can provide those as well. Most people should be able to handle .zip files and the download is very small by today's standards. But let me know.
EDITed - for various reasons.