Author Topic: Props to Passionate Community + Shameless Stream Plugging  (Read 98329 times)

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Re: Props to Passionate Community + Shameless Stream Plugging
Ahh.... it doesn't really take a day for YouTube to process. Only a few hours. About 5 hours at least

Offline CT27

RMJ,  just to let you know, there was an update to Procyon Insurgency posted recently which should fix an issue with the Akheton disruptor not doing damage at its listed range (it had a listed range of about 2K but only did damage at about up to 900m).  It should fire normally now and be able to hit targets at its listed range according to CP5670.

Offline redmagejoe

• Rage Mage of Ill Fated Gaming
    • Steam
Ya'll gonna have to show up an hour earlier for me.

https://www.youtube.com/post/Ugkxpm-yiv3nQ0FSLJacu6lz9IQktN1Uh6Zs
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 11:25:39 pm by redmagejoe »
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Available for Voice Acting work!
Email me: [email protected]
Steam me: redmagejoe

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
RMJ,  just to let you know, there was an update to Procyon Insurgency posted recently which should fix an issue with the Akheton disruptor not doing damage at its listed range (it had a listed range of about 2K but only did damage at about up to 900m).  It should fire normally now and be able to hit targets at its listed range according to CP5670.

Was its effects in-game not the same as in the description and weapons table? If so how did you fix it? The Antimatter spear in Reunion is having this problem too and I'm not sure what is causing it or how to fix it. Cheers  :)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Hi there,

FYI Herki and I are fixing up Reunion and I'm helping Nelson playtest Exile to make sure it works with modern FSO builds, so you may want to push them down the playlist if we haven't gotten both done and dusted by then.

Perhaps bring Bem Calvalgar further up the list because... you'll see why  ;7

PS - if you want to see how to add autoaim, glide, get the 3D ship and weapon selection models back etc. take a look here: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=97961.0
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline CT27

Was its effects in-game not the same as in the description and weapons table? If so how did you fix it? The Antimatter spear in Reunion is having this problem too and I'm not sure what is causing it or how to fix it. Cheers  :)

It looked like it went on for the normal range it was supposed to (~2KM).  However, it only did any damage to turrets if it hit them @~900m or less.  I don't exactly know how he fixed it, you'll probably have to PM CP5670 or check the PI thread for more info.

Some update info for you RMJ:  Blue Planet Complete received an update this week.

Offline CT27

Also,  PI received another update this week.  It is now up to version 1.7.7  (though I don't know what this one did).

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator

It looked like it went on for the normal range it was supposed to (~2KM).  However, it only did any damage to turrets if it hit them @~900m or less.  I don't exactly know how he fixed it, you'll probably have to PM CP5670 or check the PI thread for more info.

Some update info for you RMJ:  Blue Planet Complete received an update this week.

It's a problem with the current media VP release. mv_effects.tbm should not have the lifetime in there at all, it interferes with campaigns.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!

It's a problem with the current media VP release. mv_effects.tbm should not have the lifetime in there at all, it interferes with campaigns.

mv_effects.tbm parameters will be parsed by the game and added to the "weapons.tbl" so Range is naturally there and should be there as it is a table parameter ever since the beginning of Freespace game release. All modular tables (tbm) are under the umbrella of their mother tables (tbl) like "*-shp.tbm" is under (or added) the "ship.tbl." The hint is the last 3 letters of the modular table. "-wep" is under "weapons.tbl," "-shp" is under "ships.tbl," "-aip" is under "AI.tbl" and so on. These TBLs or mother tables are located in root directory of the installed retail FS2

As for the weapon range. The actual projectile range is determined by Velocity X Lifetime. The "Range" parameter is for the AI, the range they start firing.

As for the values listed in the loadout screen, those are just texts. I can put anything there and will not have an effect. Some modders forgot to match the loadout screen text values with the actual values.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It should only have weapon parameters related to effects, not the whole weapon table entry. Range and lifetime affect gameplay and shouldn't be in there. The mv_effects.tbm overrides anything in a campaign's weapons.tbl unless the campaign has a mv_effects.tbm overriding the entire file, which is what I did in PI, but it really shouldn't be needed for this.

My method of doing it runs about five minutes in to about 6:30.  Turn the radar down to 2km and just worm your way in, spamming the closest hostile target control and keeping said target in your rear arc.  You might get boxed in, but since they're rotating clockwise most of the time it will work. 
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
It should only have weapon parameters related to effects, not the whole weapon table entry. Range and lifetime affect gameplay and shouldn't be in there. The mv_effects.tbm overrides anything in a campaign's weapons.tbl unless the campaign has a mv_effects.tbm overriding the entire file, which is what I did in PI, but it really shouldn't be needed for this.

That's the ideal method. It should  have been that way. It's what I did  in AFR and TBG, everything in those mods are very organized. I must make things organized because I no longer have the tenacity to keep track of many many things.in my age.

EDIT: And you shouldn't worry because MVPS is a secondary dependency and your mod, as a primary, will override it.

Have you mentioned this to any FSU folks? It could have been a mistake

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.

Having those lines in that .tbm is actually related to effects - when the weapon effects were updated last, many recieved effects to "detonate" when their lifetime expires instead of just vanishing. For it work properly, the weapons' ranges (as lifetime times velocity) and their detonation ranges (seperate parameter) need to match

EDIT: Additionally, it is worth to mention that overriding the MVPs by placing an empty file with the same name of the table you want to override has been a common practice for mods with custom HUD gauges for a while
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 10:52:51 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
EDIT: And you shouldn't worry because MVPS is a secondary dependency and your mod, as a primary, will override it.

The problem is the tbm in the secondary will override a tbl in the primary. The only way to get around this is to override the entire tbm file, which needs a campaign update whenever the MVP is updated. Last I checked (which was years ago), a primary tbm does not necessarily override a secondary tbm. I don't know if there is a way to selectively override parts of a tbm only?

My method of doing it runs about five minutes in to about 6:30.  Turn the radar down to 2km and just worm your way in, spamming the closest hostile target control and keeping said target in your rear arc.  You might get boxed in, but since they're rotating clockwise most of the time it will work. 

Nice stealth run. It's pretty easy to do once you figure out the enemy movements.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
Tomorrow's pre-stream will be a bit more somber, and I hope that you'll all join me in commemorating the legacy of one of HLP's own.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSQ5VAxLhfi9qvL1MaEfD4g/community?lb=UgkxR7rMeQb9rWjutHg8I0IjZ8uLGtpw7s_x
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Tomorrow's pre-stream will be a bit more somber, and I hope that you'll all join me in commemorating the legacy of one of HLP's own.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSQ5VAxLhfi9qvL1MaEfD4g/community?lb=UgkxR7rMeQb9rWjutHg8I0IjZ8uLGtpw7s_x

Will do. I will see this. Download it first, of course. Can't see it live. Bad internet.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Oh Joe... you performance in PI... what can I say... hmm... not really a.... I don't want to say it.

I have the the earliest version (2009), and that mod was bad ass. I mean bass ass, Tomb raider 3 feel with regards of puzzle difficulty. Hey, that mod inspired me to make combat puzzle level in TBG (Blue Planet 3 was the primary). Now, I triumphed it everytime---Well the 2009 version, of course. But still, watching the vods, I was screaming for you you to do that, tackle that. However, you made it through. Amazing job.

I want to play this updated mod. This mod was one of the greats.

By the way, please give the link of your Trimurti vods. I am intrigued of it. I want to download all the vods of it. 😁 and leave a "like" of, course.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
As always, your playthroughs are superbly entertaining.

EDIT: have you read about the Shivan Burger thing?. Come on, read the Ben Aguilar Report. It will melt your brain but it's worth it. It's my Sci-Fi ideas. And please do leave a comment of your thoughts.

https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=98121.0
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 06:43:47 am by herkie423 »