Author Topic: a few things i want to know.  (Read 4121 times)

a few things i want to know.
1. how do you intent to use Plasma Bomb's ? as Missiles or as a Slow reload energy weapon ?

2. Swarms. the swarm is a VERY popular MP tactic in HW will the player be fighting in swarm like engagements ?

3.Backgrounds. what about em ? are they gonna be as aweinspireing as in HW ?

4. the Mothership. what about that thing ? if i recall right its pretty large.. wont it present a problem in any way ?

5. Armament's. in HW are Fixed per fighter type. but i woder if you intent to make em moderable.

6. Race's in normal HW there is no fixed Exile race. wich to you intent to model as the Exile's ?

7. Trust-twist'turn. the way HW ships move.. around their own axis slide etc. are you gonna model that ?

8. Music. the music is a crititcal part of the "grand" feel people get when playing homeworld are you gonna port it over ?

9. Infection ? how is it gonna be handled ?

10. Seige cannon. what about that ? =] i think a fast moveing Meson-bomb like weapon whould be effective but what do i know.

11. moveing part's take a look at the Acro's wings they fold out in combat... are you gonna make em do that or is it gonna be fixed into some postion ?

12. Plasma Cannon's from HW:C are they gonna be homeing ?

thats about it for now... but I WILL BE BACK !  
Part time IX'er

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
well i'll try to answer these questions though considering we r still in early development, don't take my word to the letter cause its likely to change or it already has and no-one's told me yet   if so someone will prob correct me...

1. so far i think these r primary weapons, but i'm not sure if these will stay, most of weapons r getting remakes and tweeking done to them at the mom...

2. considering the fs2 engine limitations this may or may not be so, though different tactics r being designed to get the HW feel...

3. the backgrounds r coming along fairly well but yet again fs2 limitations prevent moving background images as far as i know so they wont be animated.

4. ship conversion is going fairly slow at the moment (thats why we need more   ) but as far as i know its going to be normal HW style big, fs2 should be able to deal with it because the HW motherships dont have that many polys compared to something like the collosus, and its prob about the size of the collosus on its side...

5. this i'm not entirly sure of as of yet, but i'll say there prob wont be, (as far as i know anyway) except maybe ship selection (eg. fly a acolyte or attack bomber or light corvette or something, so to create a small feeling of fleet design - though only small cause only can select ships for 2-3 wings...

6. ?

7. we're working on that but yet again fs2 limitations occur so there are limits to what we can do

8. we're working on that too, thats not my department though so don't really know much about that...

9. a few ideas r being tossed around, but yet again fs2 table limitations r another obstacle, u will just have to wait and see...

10. well first we're making the HW1 campaign and then the cat campaign, so until then cant tell u much...

11. fs2 limitations prevent this from happening, and besides if ur in the cockpit what difference does it make? (besides ur wingmates)

12. yet again, when we get there we'll find out, but prob yes...

is that satisfactory enough for ya?
:>

------------------
"too succeed is not enough, others must fail"

Offline USS Alexander

• I 0wn TAP
    • http://www.ngproductions.nl
1: They will be slow reloading primary weapons.

2:I don't think the fs engine will be capable of it.

3:Whe haven't realy started at them yet, but whe will try to get as close as possible

4:Nope not that i know of, the collosus is pretty massive either, and the apocalypse of the terra machina project is about 3 times larger as the collosus and has no problems.

5:They will be a bit changebal, but i our campaigns they will be like the homeworld fighters.

6:i don't realy understand that question, but are you prefering to that you can play as the taidan and higarans as well.

7:mmmmm probaly yess ask thorn for more details but i think he found a way.

8  on't worry about the music and sounds they will be homeworldish  

9:Whe are not realy sure about how to handle it, but whe will figer something out.

10:whe have a big bomb like thing that looks like the siege cannon at least the pcx, still figuring out how to do the huge explosion.

11:it will be fixed in a position, i think the engine isn't capable of it.

12:??? are they homing then, oh you mean the energy cannon, mayby  

[This message has been edited by USS Alexander (edited 02-11-2002).]
icq 127261564
www.ngproductions.nl
Tapping I3****

as a boneified hw playa i'll make my opinions on yer questions and give the real modders some advice or info etc whateva  

1. Plasma bombs should be slow reload energy weapons.  Mainly because in HW attack bombers never run out of ammo

2. Swarming is very very popular, to actually be in a scout amidst the giant battle would be an aweseom, awesome experience...i say GO FOR IT!  

3. Well they should, if you want to capture the feel of HW you'll need to make it as corresponding as possible

4. The mothership shouldn't be any bigger then the colosus.  The colossus was what? 15 km's long?  The MS is only like 2, 3, or 5 kilom's long so that shouldn't really be THAT big of a prob.

5. I would say leave them fixed.  You never see a scout with missiles do ya?  

6. Taiidan.  For one thing, all taiidan ships look slapped together very very quickly and hap-hazardly.  As well as most of their strike craft look adapted from atmospheric use.  Which means that the exiles wouldn't have the resources to make an entirely new space combat design so they just adapted current atmosphereic craft to space...to save cost, and time.  Next to prove my point, notice the difference in the engines in the kushan and taiidan fleet.  Taiidan engines appear to be Ion engines, Kushan engines appear to be some kind of plasma engine, requiring only at the most 2, but you see on the Taiidan MS there are something like 11 or 12 ion engines, which would lead you to believe the logic asumption that the exiles aren't as technoglically advanced as the evil empire, and therefor require more rudementary means of propuslion.  Which would explain the much higher number of engines on their cap ships and fighters.  Now on to the next point.  The Box art.  The box art depicts the taiidan fleet flying toward a kushan fleet that's infront of Hiigara.  This would lead one to believe that the exiles (taiidan) are retaking their homeworld from the kushan.  Seems logical to me.  On to the next example, the specialty ships.  The 2 special ships for each race being:
  Taiidan- defence fighter and defence frigate
  Kushan- drone frigate, and cloaked fighter.
This explains alot, if you were a race of dwindling numbers with no chance of getting reinforcments, wouldn't you rather defend and help keep alive the pilots you have?  I.E. Defence Frigate and Defence fighters.  Now the evil empire wouldn't care about pilots cause they would have a practically unlimted supply, and would be more aimed toward fast killing of the enmey.  Hence the drone frigate.  Drone frigs are amazing swarm killers...the evil empire would want to kill as many oposing pilots as possible....using atrition tactics....hence the drone frig.  And the cloak fighter...what better way to attack a defensless convoy then with cloaked ships?  It all proves the point that the Taiidan are the exiles and the Kushan are the empire.

7.  would be difficult i guess with the FS2 engine...but i don't mod fs2 so i wouldn't know  

8. i relaly really hope so

9. would be incredibly difficult to emulate i'd think...and then you have to figure out what it would do to the ship you're in

10. i would go with a helios torp with modded damage and shockwave properties.

11. would be nice but like GoDo said...can't be done  

12. they should be...someting like missiles but with energy properties and an the graphics changed to match those of ec's

[This message has been edited by StyffyDawgIX (edited 02-11-2002).]
[size=-5]Be a baddass or be a pussy but choose only one. -Manwich [/size]

Styff i think we need to re explain Swarm's

a Swarm is a Relatively large ammount of fighters/corvette's attacking several hammering a larger target.

oh and Styffy the Kusian's are the "official" Exiles

Part time IX'er

no....the Kushan are Barking Dog's official "Exiles"

Relic never said which is whihc.

and your def of a swarm isn't exactly correct

a Swarm is an extroidnary large and seemingly unending amout of strike craft (fighters and corvs) attack alot of stuff.  Other swarms for instance...(we call them massive furballs  )

Shrike plays Cata so he's not entirely knowledgeable to the logic of HW and the stupidity of Cataclysm

oh and shirke...you cannot logically and intelligently say that my points are wrong.....logic leads you to believe the Taiidan are the exiles...despite what the fag company barking dog says

Offline USS Alexander

• I 0wn TAP
OOOhhhh the online term, The (raiding party) wel thats possible yes.
icq 127261564
www.ngproductions.nl
Tapping I3****

Offline USS Alexander

• I 0wn TAP
Soon i'l upload a whole bunch of screenshots mayby this week  

Oh and about the plasma bomb check the new and improved hud topic, there you can see a beta version of it

[This message has been edited by USS Alexander (edited 02-11-2002).]
icq 127261564
www.ngproductions.nl
Tapping I3****

i wasent disagreeing with you Styff

and Styff i must confess its been 3-5 month's since i played Cata last. played HW yesterday (bleh never get rid of that addiction)

BD if fag so what ? take a look at the REALLY NON GOOD PATCH for HW:C that thing STILL got issues.

anybody mind me and styffy set up camp ?  
Part time IX'er

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
Alright, the expert is here  

1. Slow reloading primary...

2. Possibly, but I can see that turning older compuers into a smoking pile of rubble from the strain...

3. Again, possibly..

4. I'm still trying to find out how big this thing is. The manual says the Kushan one is 25 km  high (so logically the Taiidan is 25 wide), but other people keep screaming that its only 6 or 7. Either way, is possible.

5. Theyre basically fixed. You can set what weapons the ship is allowed to carry in the ship.tbl.

6. Either we'll pick one and go with it, or we'll make two downloadable campaigns, one for each (we'll have both sets of ships in it anyway, so its not hard to go through and replace all of the ships).

7. It is possible to make the ships do that to an extent (If you've ever played FS1, watch the Shivan Scorpion, it does that a lot)

8. Definitely.

9. When a ship gets hit with an infection beam, or cruise missile, we'll just change the IFF...

10. Like Alex said, a modded bomb.

11. Some parts moving, not the Acolyte though, I've modeled it so the wings are always in the attack position. Any rotating parts will be done.

12. Doubtful, would really make the game waay too unbalanced if they were.

Offline Thorn

Originally posted by ARC_Shrike:
anybody mind me and styffy set up camp ?  

so long as it doesnt degenerate into a flame war...

Offline USS Alexander

• I 0wn TAP
Originally posted by Thorn:
Alright, the expert is here  

icq 127261564
www.ngproductions.nl
Tapping I3****

i said camp not warcamp...

i do not intent to engage into a flamewar unless somebody else does the grace and start it.

the size is 25 also Thorn i have a mod that make the scale's realistic in HW you might want that for comparison
Part time IX'er

lol yeah me and Shrike never fight wiff each outher......we're like a married couple.....AREN'T WE SHRIKEY POO?! >=)

and i always thought it was 5 kiloms long..hmm.....must be thinking of something else...

that mod's called "The LIghtning Mod"...all it does is take out the nlips scale factoring for each ship......makes it mcuh more real-er tho

was thinkin about lightin or HOH

it seemed 5 km's cuz of the messed scale.. and the 5 km's are the Heavy Cruiser

YES WE ARE LIKE MARRIED YOU SEXY BIACH
Part time IX'er

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
*hums quietly to self* If I ignore it, it'll go away... If I ignore it, it'll go away...
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

what ? dont like me ? :(

ono just cuz we joke a little

(hehe.. why do people ALWAYS do that Styffy ?)
Part time IX'er

lol it's called homophobia ;)

Offline Thorn

Right....
I think this served its purpose...