Author Topic: [RELEASE] Shadow Genesis: 2017 Edition  (Read 177739 times)

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
Re: The Shadow is coming... SHADOW GENESIS: RELEASE
Hi, Everyone :)

As we are working on 1.1 patch with grammar fixes, rebalance and maybe new HTL Nightmare models [I hope we will do this in time], we need 2-3 native english speakers for language corrections. As we don't want to rewrite our missions and change everything, but only fix some issues and we have a lot of missions to fix, 2-3 checkers would be enough. Each one will fix one act of the campaign. When it's finished, we will rebalance w few missions, weapons etc. I whink we collected enough information to know which missions we should rebalance.

As we wanted to do something great and improve our mod, any help would be extremly welcome :).

I would offer assistance but my english isn't the greatest and I'm a native english speaker. Plus I'm focused on my own mod, my EvE Online corporation, and school. However, I can offer some advice. Use a document program that offers a spell check feature to help fix basic spelling and grammer errors. Then pass on other spelling/grammatical errors to the native english speakers. That'll help make the job easier. That is my advice and I hope to see a new release soon. Thank you for your contribution to the Hard-Light community Betrayal!
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>
  /  \ All the Single Ladies

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I can do it. I'm a native English speaker (being Australian and all) and I tend to be really picky about how I type things, how they're worded, so on and so forth. I used to win spelling competitions all the time! My girlfriend even calls me a grammar nazi and just to be audacious I tell her that I'm a spelling-grammar-punctuation nazi.

I usually have plenty of free time to do stuff like this so if you need something proofread, I'm your man.
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

I can as well. i am a Native English speaker from the UK. Ive got a LOT of free time and have been looking to get involved in the scene for a while.  :)

Re: GRAMMAR CHECKERS NEEDED!!!
I could help you guys out after I finish my exams next week.

Offline Cuke Skywalker

• Moitié légume, moitié mec
No time on my hands now, but I'd be glad to help as of next week if you need an extra pair of eyes! ;-)

[Edit]
Just as an example, here's what I would suggest for the mod.ini blurb:
Code: [Select]
[launcher]
modname      = Shadow Genesis
image255x112 = ShadowGenesis.bmp;
infotext     = The year is 2390. Lieutenant Nathan Miles begins duty in the 6th Terran Fleet, commonly known as the Wolf's Fleet. This fleet, having a mostly autonomous command structure, is responsible for the safety of strategic Alliance systems - the Wolf's Group, an intensively colonized sector where multiple Ancient ruins have been found. Human- and Vasudankind are protected by their powerful navy, but despite that, times are not easy. A mysterious terrorist organization called the Cerberus Legacy is rapidly spreading its influence within the GTVA, and their leaders are plotting a conspiracy that may lead the Wolf's Group to the brink of destruction...;
website      = none;
forum        = http://www.freespace.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5534;

[multimod]
primarylist  = ;
secondrylist = mediavps_3612;

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 09:30:05 am by Cuke Skywalker »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It's a start (Cuke's suggestion, I mean) but I think it also displays why spelling and grammar aren't always enough - it still reads a little clunky. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to crowdsource fixing that, as even most native English speakers can't put together polished sentences.

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
Agreed, also I'd be willing to help if there are still spots needed  :)
Stuff

Offline Cuke Skywalker

It's a start (Cuke's suggestion, I mean) but I think it also displays why spelling and grammar aren't always enough - it still reads a little clunky. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to crowdsource fixing that, as even most native English speakers can't put together polished sentences.
I couldn't agree more. Of course all I did was fix the grammar, as stated in Betrayal's mission briefing for the 1.1 patch. Now if the authors do want a more thorough rewriting of their text, let them say so: touching up the grammar should be relatively uncontroversial, but altering the style can prove more sensitive, if only because it will inevitably have an impact on the intended atmosphere of the campaign.

Hey guys,

congratulations to this epic campaign.

But: How the heck do you win after checkpoint 2 of "Helping hand"? Nirvana is damaged down to 21 % in my case and its crushed any time, even if I destroy the main beams of the Shadow spiders?!

Thanks

Ok, made it. Just be fast enough ;)

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
Offering some slightly larger changes, while maintining most of the intent, here's my take on Cuke's version:

The year is 2390. Lieutenant Nathan Miles is reporting for duty with the Terran 6th Fleet, "Wolf's Fleet." [I'd suggest changing this to 'Wolf's Armada' if practical throughout the mod] 6th fleet operates as a semi-autonomous defense force for strategic systems within the Wolf's Group, a heavily colonized sector of space, where multiple Ancient ruins have been discovered. Human- and Vasudan-kind are protected by their powerful navy, but behind the secure frontiers, unrest has begun to grow. A mysterious terrorist organization, the so-called Cerberus Legacy, is rapidly spreading its influence within the GTVA, and their leaders are plotting a conspiracy that may lead the Wolf's Group to the brink of destruction...;
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline Cuke Skywalker

Thanks for your input LordMelvin :) Some more ideas (well, questions mostly):

The year is 2390. Lieutenant Nathan Miles is reporting for duty with the Terran 6th Fleet, "Wolf's Fleet." [I'd suggest changing this to 'Wolf's Armada' if practical throughout the mod] [Yes, I had my reservations about the definite article here too, but didn't touch it in case there was some character, historical figure or other referred to as "the Wolf". "Armada" sounds good too, if a bit hackneyed.]
6th fleet operates as a semi-autonomous defense force for strategic systems within (the) Wolf's Group, a heavily colonized sector of space, where multiple Ancient ruins have been discovered. [What is the relevance of this last piece of info? Either it's important in the campaign, and it should be more than an afterthought to the sentence, or it's just a way to show that colonization goes way back, in which case it should just be "a heavily colonized sector of space since Ancient times".]
Human- and Vasudan-kind are protected by their powerful navy, but behind [unclear: is it "beyond" or "within"?] the secure frontiers, unrest has begun to grow. A mysterious terrorist organization, the so-called Cerberus Legacy, is rapidly spreading its influence within the GTVA, and their leaders are plotting a conspiracy that may lead (the) Wolf's Group to the brink of destruction...;

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Woah :D What an interestment. As our campaign is long, we will need many hands to help. Expect PMs soon, guys.
Praseodym - This is too hard. Helping Hand is ridiculously hard, and will be rebalanced in 1.1 patch.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Drogoth

I'm willing to help out. Native english speaker hailing from canada.
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline MacBawbag

• If found in a gutter, please help to nearest pub
Willing to help. Native "English" speaker hailing from Scotland.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
It looks like you have plenty of help already, but another native (American) English speaker willing to lend a hand here.  'course I should probably play through the campaign itself first. :p

Offline Drogoth

Willing to help. Native "English" speaker hailing from Scotland.

I have been appropriately schooled it seems. Well played sir. Hats off.
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Native English speaker from Australia here, if you need more help (although I don't post on here very often).

Edit: Or not. My computer chose a great time to fail on me.  :mad:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:33:37 pm by BLARGHER »

Offline aeon48m

• Trying to make SGWP3
    • Minecraft
Started replaying this a while back and only now got around to finishing it, and I just noticed:

Are those character portraits for the Cerberus Legacy admirals from EVE?
"Hell, ultra-AAA's are more powerfull than the sgreen, but then again, those are meant ot literaly sodemise fighters with their long powerfull shaft."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
EVE has an amazing portrait generator.