Author Topic: [RELEASE] Shadow Genesis: 2017 Edition  (Read 177618 times)

Offline bcKq

• yeah
Re: The Shadow is coming... SHADOW GENESIS: RELEASE
That campaign is AWESOME!!
I would LOVE to play more missions like this, post-capella story <3

Also, should I expect a sequel to that? :)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 07:25:53 pm by bcKq »

All right, as we're about to finish polishing the missions and modpack, we'll soon send PMs for those who volunteered to help correct grammar and spelling mistakes. We're going to need 5-6 people in total to check all the missions and techroom.

Also, should I expect a sequel to that? :)

Yes, you should :). But in rather distant future. A sequel is in early stages of development and it's hard to say when it is done. For now we focus our efforts on 1.1 patch.

Offline bcKq

• yeah
Great!! I'm wating for the sequel patiently! :)

Hey guys,
Since this came out I enjoyed the campaign very much.
the atmosphere, the music, the battles... all in all totaly awsome.
But now I am stuck. Dragons entry.
no matter what I do the melager (hope I said it right) allways gets destroyed.
there is just no way around it.
I first just blew away the beam canons floating around the jump node and sended a heavy missile after the awacs, making it run away.
since then I am busy trying to disarm the enemy ships but there are just to many to take care off.
Even at very easy I get easily blown away like our capship.
Is there something I can do to get past this?
If I remain stuck here I might abandon this campaign which would really be a shame.
A voice from the dark called out and said: Smile and be happy, things could be worse. So I smiled and was happy, and things did get worse...

Spoiler:
1. Eliminate the first wave of fighters.
2. Destroy the Mjornir beams.
3. Disarm the Atreus and then Deimos corvettes.
4. Watch out for a bomber raid just after Meleager arrives.
And remember to give orders to the other pilots. It's useful as you have quite few Penetrators in this stage of the campaign.
Destroying an AWACS is not a top priority. You have to destroy it that way or another so it's better to focus on beams first.

Offline Nissan

Sounds like you guys have quite a few volunteers for editing/revisions at this point, but if you want more help, I'm happy to chip in. I'm a native English speaker from the U.S. with plenty of experience in editing both stories and formal papers for friends, and I have a ton of free time these days. If you want me to offer an example of how I would edit some text from the campaign, I can certainly provide that.

I did play through most of it before setting aside FreeSpace for a while--I forget exactly how far I got before stopping, but the gameplay was pretty enjoyable in most respects, so I'd love to help polish this project up. :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 12:37:22 pm by Nissan »
"Uh, yeah, I mean it's tough to say, woulda-coulda-shoulda, ifs and buts like candy and nuts, you know, you never know.  This, that, and the other thing.  Who knows?  You know, there are a lot of what-ifs.  You know, my whole life is a lot of what-ifs."
- San Antonio Spurs F Matt Bonner

Any help is welcome. I'm sure we'll find something for you :).

Work on patch 1.1 is advancing quite slowly as the exams on my studies are getting dangerously close :). Fixing bugs in missions and modpack is almost over. Moreover, we are working on some bonus contents to be included in the 1.1 version of the campaign.

People who volunteered to help may expect PMs with missions to correct by the end of the week.

Re: GRAMMAR CHECKERS NEEDED!!!
I seem to have a problem in the beginning of Act II. For some reason, my ship is nonexistent and my hud has been shifted to the right. I have attached a debug log (FS2 suddenly quit prior to the screen switching to my hud from the Act II intro scene). Also, I have attached a screenshot using a regular build. Any ideas?

I could help you guys out after I finish my exams next week.

On another note, I have completed my exams, and I can now assist with any corrections needed.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

I think we finally know what caused a bug in this mission. The problem occurs when storing a player's ship after previous mission (or trying to store). What I can advise is to make Neya invulnerable using cheats and just wait (or get yourself killed 5 times :P). If you are able to depart, you will advance to the next mission.

I tried both methods, but it still didn't work. I wasn't able to depart once the Neya jumped out, and I wasn't able to be killed. I even used cheats to inflict damage on my ship until I died, but the menu was not available for me to quick start the mission. Regardless, thanks for your help!

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Meh... Radar Icons. I knew I forgot about something. Radar Icons support will be included in 1.1 as optional download.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

One person has already begun work on correcting missions in Shadow Genesis, but we are going to need more. At least 8 people offered help when we made our request some time ago, but so far one agreed to help, one withdrew and the others sent me no response. If anyone else wants to help, please send me a PM with your email address so that I could send you missions or tables.

This was awsome. And still is. Just arrived Act 3 and it was said often, but i am also stunned by the beautiful backgrouds. Just wow! Also the missions on surface are a sweet feature - even if gameplay remains the same. Story is also a nice idea.

As a negative (constructive) feedback:
- After trying the first mission about 10 times a had to cheat it. This was a very frustrating start. Rest is balanced ok. Some missions are very tricky, but is playable. But you guys should rebalance the frist mission.
- Yes, most of the missions are too long. When there is battle and action it is quite a highlight to flight and fight for 30 minutes, but just waiting 15 of this 30 minutes is a bit boring. So some of the waiting times should be shorted.
- im using tts on mods and somehow i have to say: the term "wolf's fleet" is used much too much. Im already rolling eyes when i hear it again.

BUT in spite of those points i think you did a beautiful job. Still bluffed by the mission count compared to the action.

Thank you very much for your hard work and i am waiting for update :D
 :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Length of the missions will probably remain unchanged. It's too much work to change it all, neither we do want to change this. First mission was rebalanced along with most of our missions. Thanks for the kind words :).
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

I am glad to report that work on patch 1.1 is close to the end ;). Three more people are still working on correcting briefings and dialogues and polishing missions and modpack is almost finished. I think you can expect a patch in a matter of a few weeks. You can expect some bonus content that will make you want to play the entire campaign again :).

- Yes, most of the missions are too long. When there is battle and action it is quite a highlight to flight and fight for 30 minutes, but just waiting 15 of this 30 minutes is a bit boring. So some of the waiting times should be shorted.
Well, you can think of it that way: instead of two 7-10-minute-long missions you have one 15-20-minute-long mission with a checkpoint :). But you're right, several moments where there are neither a fight nor a dialogue need shortening and will be shortened in 1.1 patch.

- im using tts on mods and somehow i have to say: the term "wolf's fleet" is used much too much. Im already rolling eyes when i hear it again.
As for the 'Wolf's Fleet' term, it's widely used to stress that we are not part of just another GTVA fleet. The Wolf's Fleet is unique and autonomous and has become even a part of pilots' identity. That will have far-reaching consequences in the sequel.

become even a part of pilots' identity
Haha thats for sure :D

Thats one of the smaller issues i think. When you guys are still on it one more suggestion:
The long time missed cutscene that is revealing the big things in act 3 should have a new sound file. Tt should be same sort like the old ones had. I would have been very impressed by that on watching. Small thing for big impact i think. Im sure I wasnt the only one with a little nostalgic kick.

Well, that's a good idea. At least for the first part, where now plays the Illusive Man music. But do you know where I can find music from Ancient monologue 4 and 5?

I dont know if there is a copyright issue by just copying them. But if it is possible you should take music from part 3! Its far the best i think :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olVjk8bWG7E&list=PLD63751DDF0C8ED85
in combination with something like this http://convert2mp3.net/ should solve your problem. Or something like dvdvideosoft.

Hope this helps...

Offline PeterX

• Peter
If i understand it right,then is this a continuum of the Ancient - Shivan War more than 8000 years later and in a transformed race named as Mae Vi´r,but with a lair as prophet and against the wrong race,right?
If i can´t model any ship then i use "flying trains" :-)

How could you eventually spoiler here?!?!  :nono: