Author Topic: Primary weapons refire rate  (Read 2885 times)

Primary weapons refire rate
Sup folks, just a quick question that's been bothering me. I tried googling it in all possible permutations, but to no avail, apparently there in no frequently-linked-to answer.
Basically what i want to know is how much does the refire rate of the fighters primary weapons slow down after you switch to firing them both at once.
I have found the tables here
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Weapon_Comparison_(FS1)
and here
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Weapon_Comparison_(FS2)
but the values seem to refer only to firing in a single fire mode.
As you know, once you switch to dual fire, the weapon speed, or rather, refire rate slows down. From what I could divine with a stopwatch in hand is that the shots per second aren't actually halved, and do not remain the same, but are decreased by some ratio between those two values. Does any of you people with the knowledge of the source code know the exact ratio?

The more specific reason why I ask is as follows: Imagine you have fighter like Myrmidon with 2 gun and 4 gun mount. If you fire first bank, you get (in case of Subach HL-7) 10 projectiles flying out per second. If you fire second bank, you get 20 projectiles flying out per second. If you fire both at once, you get SOME amount of projectiles out per second. It's somewhere between 30 projectiles (speed remains the same) and 15 projectiles (speed halves).

I guess what it boils down to is, when dogfighting in a fighter like Hercules MK1, Myrmidon, Tauret or Ares, do I get more raw firepower when shooting my 4 gun rack or when shooting all 6 guns at once, considering they all mount the same weapon.

I guess the ironic, and likely, answer is that the ratio is 0,66 and you thus get exactly 20 projectiles per second out in both cases, and the difference is purely in frequency.

Thank you in advance for all the answers/speculations.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Primary weapons refire rate
I guess the ironic, and likely, answer is that the ratio is 0,66 and you thus get exactly 20 projectiles per second out in both cases, and the difference is purely in frequency.
To the best of my knowledge, this is exactly the case; the choice of linked-versus-unlinked on 4/2 fighters is solely one of fire-rate versus alpha-strike. The ratio is the same for fighters with equal banks, however, so fire-linking will boost DPS (and energy consumption).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Yep - that's correct.  Here's the setting that lets modders disable the slowdown (as seen in Wings Of Dawn) - the link also has the formula used by the code to calculate the slowdown.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Cheers, thank you for the comprehensive answers. I hope the next newbie to come along will just find this post.  :yes:

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
there's also a weapon flag since recent times that you can use to except certain weapons from linking penalties
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

You shouldn't fly the Myrmidon anyway unless you don't have any other options or you can use the Helios torpedo with it. If you do fly it though it's probably best to load the 4-gun bank with a high DPS weapon and the 2-gun bank with a Maxim or Akheton-SDG.
Though not all 4-2 fighters work the same, the Herc is different because it's 4 gunk bank is really hard to use properly unless you learn how to roll your fighter(rolling while also trying to get someone in your sights is a bit trickier than it seems) to position the guns properly.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
Re: primary linking
do you happen to know what this flag is?  A quick search through some weapons tables and on the wiki revealed nothing except the "no primary linking" flag.
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
"no primary linked penalty"
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
It seems that a couple of weapon flags hadn't been added to the wiki including "no primary linked penalty"; I've just added them.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
Thanks.  Seems like this (in combination with a couple other flags) could make for some fun (read: more dakka) weapons combinations.
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.