Author Topic: Falcons Strike First  (Read 3929 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Falcons Strike First
I made a thing in FRED. (If you want to play this on 3.7.2 RC3, get this patch as well.)

It's not very good.

It is fully voice-acted, though! This may be considered less of a feature and more of an aaaugh my ears make it stop, however.

FUTURE PLANS:
  • Make it possible to skip opening dialogue.
  • Do something about support ships ruining the illusion of a subspace jump.
  • When I get around to making this into a proper campaign, add an option to continue instead of always jumping back.
  • Just generally make it suck less, if I ever make time to work on this again.
  • I am 99% certain I am mispronouncing "Nepenthe", but I CBA to fix it right now.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 08:57:36 pm by AdmiralRalwood »
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: Falcons Strike First
game_settings.tbl(line 8):
Error: Missing required token: [#END]. Found [$Briefing Window FOV: 0.5] instead.

Do I need a specific build to play this? I'm trying it with 3.7.2 RC3 and getting the above error.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
game_settings.tbl(line 8):
Error: Missing required token: [#END]. Found [$Briefing Window FOV: 0.5] instead.

Do I need a specific build to play this? I'm trying it with 3.7.2 RC3 and getting the above error.
You either need a nightly of r10824 or newer, or this simple patch.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I ended up going in and adding the #END myself.

Finished the mission, was a tad simplistic, but there's nothing really wrong with that. Didn't encounter any bugs or anything, which is good, although consider a fade to white when you're in mission jumping, to prevent weirdness associated with jumping while manoeuvring. Occasionally a few of the accents were a little... off, but props for the extra effort with the voice acting.

One thing I did think could be changed was the second jump back to the Nepenthe - it felt unnecessary given that ll you did was fly to the fighterbay. Had I been building this mission, I would have still had two in-mission jumps, but I would have let the pilot go to his first waypoint first, then get the message to go and rescue the medical ship, then let the final jumpout be the end mission jumpout, and skip the second visit to the Nepenthe altogether. That way the player gets to see more of EP, and the whole, long briefing isn't entirely thrown out within a minute of starting the mission.

That's just how I would have done it though, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with the path you chose either.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
although consider a fade to white when you're in mission jumping, to prevent weirdness associated with jumping while manoeuvring.
It already fades to white...?

One thing I did think could be changed was the second jump back to the Nepenthe - it felt unnecessary given that ll you did was fly to the fighterbay. Had I been building this mission, I would have still had two in-mission jumps, but I would have let the pilot go to his first waypoint first, then get the message to go and rescue the medical ship, then let the final jumpout be the end mission jumpout, and skip the second visit to the Nepenthe altogether. That way the player gets to see more of EP, and the whole, long briefing isn't entirely thrown out within a minute of starting the mission.
When/if I ever flesh this out into a proper campaign, you'll be given a choice to either jump back to the Nepenthe, or jump to Hearth to finish the patrol you were briefed on (and if you chose to jump back to the Nepenthe, mission 2 would instead be actually flying the patrol, with some differences due to time passing).

The basic idea that sparked this mission was the intention to do a campaign where every mission started with you launching from a docking bay, and every mission ending with you flying into one, so changing it to a regular warpout is not going to happen. :P

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Consider giving your Zeta 1 a persona, if you leave it blank, it will be picked at random...

That was quite a surprise for me when Zeta 1's female voice appeared on the comms when we got to shoot down pirates!

As for the rest of the mission, it is nice, simple one... why not continue the patrol like you were ordered? At least end on the Eniff Station as you were briefed?
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Consider giving your Zeta 1 a persona, if you leave it blank, it will be picked at random...
Zeta 1's persona is set.

As for the rest of the mission, it is nice, simple one... why not continue the patrol like you were ordered? At least end on the Eniff Station as you were briefed?
When/if I ever flesh this out into a proper campaign, you'll be given a choice to either jump back to the Nepenthe, or jump to Hearth to finish the patrol you were briefed on

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Haven't noticed this before. Let's check it out...

Simple, solid mission. It's good to hear human voice after all those beeps in most of the projects. I can only recommend adding some nebulae.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.