Author Topic: Afterburners, or The Most Misleading Subject Ever  (Read 65898 times)

Offline aRaven

Afterburners, or The Most Misleading Subject Ever
Hi all!

I watched the Battle of Coruscant recently and at the beginning you can see obi wan and anakin engaging the afterburners (blue engine glow flashes) when diving under the capital ship.

so when the fighters of the pre civil war era have afterburners, it would make sense that the later craft have them also. what can we expect from the SWC in that regard? I'd love to see some underpowered SLAM systems on a X-Wing.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 01:31:48 pm by chief1983 »

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
The X-wing and the other -wings and TIEs don't have any kind of afterburner. Only the Missile Boat has SLAM systems in canon, if I remember correctly.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline aRaven

you never see them use afterburners. that doesn't mean they don't have any. even the anakins n-1 naboo fighter gave a brief burst when leaving the battle droid control ship.

its hard to believe only the eta 2 interceptors (in EIII) have them

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Eh, they're called "Overdrives" - I'm not sure about their being canon, but I know the games had them.  (When pressed, the X-Wing would fold its S-Foils and flare engines; all other types of craft just flare engines and go faster.)

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Eh, they're called "Overdrives" - I'm not sure about their being canon, but I know the games had them.  (When pressed, the X-Wing would fold its S-Foils and flare engines; all other types of craft just flare engines and go faster.)

Yeah, Rogue Squadron had something similar (IIRC), but it was more like a top gear than an after burner! It certainly didn't seem limited by fuel.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
this is the part where i come in and do my grouchy old man thing (despite the fact that i am but 20) saying that new star wars is not canon, and that you shouldn't be using things from episodes 1-3 as reference as they were only created to sell small plastic toys.

rogue squadron game mechanics are a bit too arcadey for our purposes, as well.  a higher speed but limited maneuverability mode for craft with s-foils would be canon though, and should be implemented.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Turambar: All the movies are the highest level of canon. It's a fact. It's as much a fact as Earth being spherical. Stop arguing against facts.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline aRaven

rogue squadron game mechanics are a bit too arcadey for our purposes, as well. 

i agree.

a higher speed but limited maneuverability mode for craft with s-foils would be canon though, and should be implemented.

why would only a craft with sfoils go faster? an x-wing going faster with its wings closed?
doesn't make sense... and there is no "would" be canon. Either it is canon of 1st, 2nd, 3rd a.s.o grade or it isn't.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter

why would only a craft with sfoils go faster? an x-wing going faster with its wings closed?
doesn't make sense... and there is no "would" be canon. Either it is canon of 1st, 2nd, 3rd a.s.o grade or it isn't.

speed increases because weapon energy is shunted towards the engines in that mode (enough power for at least one shot is kept [wraith squadron]), and maneuverability is hampered because the main engines have less space between them, and the (small invisible) maneuvering jets on the wings are not spread out [egvv and one of the x-wing books, i think]
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
The X-wing uses "etheric rudders", not manuevering jets.

(My physics subdaemon shudders in me whenever I tell things like that.)
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline aRaven

you can divert power to the engines without closing the s-foils (ala x-wing (game)) :P

another source of the xwings maneuverability is the gyromagnetic devices in the engines...

offtopic, but nice read: http://saxman.xwlegacy.net/Starfighters/X-wing.html

Offline maje

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Millenium Falcon engage afterburners when trying to divert the Star Destroyer Avenger's weapons energy to the bridge shield?  I know that Han never specifically says afterburners, but it does have the general appearance during that chase sequence of ESB.
Deuternomy 22:11 explained:

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Millenium Falcon engage afterburners when trying to divert the Star Destroyer Avenger's weapons energy to the bridge shield?  I know that Han never specifically says afterburners, but it does have the general appearance during that chase sequence of ESB.

Correction: That would be engine flare from rapid acceleration, not an afterburner.

you can divert power to the engines without closing the s-foils (ala x-wing (game)) :P

Fact. Though Star Wars isn't noted for its realism (sound in space, aerodynamic starfighters), we are dealing with logic here, ergo we can use the logic that there is (almost) no resistance in space.

Quote from: aRaven
another source of the xwings maneuverability is the gyro magnetic devices in the engines...

Fact. And there are variable exhaust nozzles on the 4L4's (the exhaust nacelles in your link). The gyro magnetic devices help the variable exhaust nozzles in tight turns.

The X-wing uses "etheric rudders", not maneuvering jets.

(My physics subdaemon shudders in me whenever I tell things like that.)

Addendum: The "etheric rudders" are a combination of the variable exhaust nozzles and gyro magnetic devices.

speed increases because weapon energy is shunted towards the engines in that mode (enough power for at least one shot is kept [wraith squadron]), and maneuverability is hampered because the main engines have less space between them, and the (small invisible) maneuvering jets on the wings are not spread out [egvv and one of the x-wing books, i think]

Fact. X-Wing starfighters have an energy diversion system similar to FreeSpace's Energy Transfer System.

this is the part where i come in and do my grouchy old man thing (despite the fact that i am but 20) saying that new star wars is not canon, and that you shouldn't be using things from episodes 1-3 as reference as they were only created to sell small plastic toys.

rogue squadron game mechanics are a bit too arcadey for our purposes, as well.  a higher speed but limited maneuverability mode for craft with s-foils would be canon though, and should be implemented.

Query: Why would a higher speed limit maneuverability? The A-Wing starfighter has much faster fusial engines, but due to well-placed maneuvering jets and large variable exhaust nozzles. The TIE fighter is also faster than an X-Wing and also has increased maneuverability (in space; once it hits atmosphere...well, read the later X-Wing series books).

Yeah, Rogue Squadron had something similar (IIRC), but it was more like a top gear than an after burner! It certainly didn't seem limited by fuel.

Correction: The "top gear" was more than likely a quick transfer of energy to the engines and then a quick transfer back.

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Ya... I think the "Overdrive" should be limited, but have a huge energy reserve.  (Remember the X-Wings in ANH had S-Foils locked until they prepared to have a go at the Death Star... )  So, probably enough for 5-10 mins or something.  Can someone verify that the speed boost is called "Overdrive"?  That's what I've heard it called (by my SW friend 10 years ago), but IDK what the source was... he had the movies, the games, and the books, so it could be anything.

There isn't anything on the Star Wars wiki that says anything about an overdrive. However, Thrawn apparently helped develop a gunboat that had a SLAM system...

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
In terms of an actual afterburner, there's not enough evidence in the movies that have the ships we're currently working on, or the other sources that deal with them, to prove that they should exist.  But, we will be doing some interesting stuff with the energy transfer systems on each ship, and some of them are going to have drastically different characteristics.  There are a couple of exceptions to this of course.  The Falcon may indeed have some sort of speed boost device, and the SLAM system in Thrawn's ships, but by and large, most ships don't have anything like an FS afterburner I don't believe.  As far as what possible purpose the S-Foils on the X-Wing could serve in space, I believe we're going with the way the maneuvering system works being the reason for it.  S-Foils open may aid the ships in making faster turns by having the gyro system further apart, while having them closed may increase efficiency or some other techno babble.  I don't think that simply opening and closing the S-Foils directly affects the ship's velocity.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hmm... but my friend wouldn't have told me that they were called Overdrives unless he heard it from someplace... if I can find where he got it from.... :mad:

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
There may very well be a source that says that, but if it's a comic or one random novel, I really don't think it's enough to go against the rest of the sources.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

According to the Star Wars Wiki, S-foils were used for heat dispersion, atmospheric stability, and, on the X-Wing starfighters, increased weapon range.

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

Offline aurora_energy

• Adrift in the never ending void
I think its possible that it has got to do with wind resistance, but that would only be the case when inside the atmosphere....

maybe the sfoil links together to not need to send the power from the generator to 1 engine back to the generator and instead let the energy pass through 2 engines resulting in doubleing the aperage. but yes you would be right, the primary reason for the sfoils are to have a more surrounding fire area... if that makes any sense...
Imagine awakening, and hearing the heartbeat of the galaxy for the first time.
It is like a cloud, a mist that drifts from living creature to creature, set in motion by currents and eddies.
It is the eye of the storm, the passions of all living things turned into energy, into a chorus.
It is the rising swell at the end of life, the promise of new territories and new blood, the call of new mysteries in the dark.