Author Topic: Afterburners, or The Most Misleading Subject Ever  (Read 65900 times)

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Re: Afterburners, or The Most Misleading Subject Ever
Is it that bad?
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Is it that bad?
It is, because in the process he screwed Star Wars over, too.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
I mean, is the special edition really, that bad. I've only heard rumors.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline aRaven

special edition fixed some things but messed up many more.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I've always found some of the distaste I've heard for RotJ to be rather baffling, since it's been my favorite movie by far of the original three ever since I first saw it.  Sometimes I feel like the only person on the planet who loved the hell out of the Ewoks.  The Battle of Endor was beyond epic, and when you throw in Jabba's palace and those speeder bike chases...there's just no contest in my mind.

Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Ah Titan, thanks for posting that link, I understand now.  Even though I liked the movie, your link has swayed me, and now I hate RotJ.

Cmon, seriously, try reading through that list in detail, and a lot of the stuff in there is just completely repetetive, with about 80% of the list simply being "I didn't like the Ewoks" or some that don't make sense (Saying that the Ships in RotJ look so clean and shiny?  I wonder if he's thinking of the prequels)
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
I thought that RoTJ's ships looked a little better, some of the bits i agree.

BTW i read the original script of RoTJ, and in it some rebel cruisers did crash into the sheild, even during the battle.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Some moviegoers just aggrandize a bad scene or theme in a movie and generalize.

The Ewoks defeating a technologically superior foe may not be a good idea.

The Jabba Palace scenes were great. The Skirmish at the Sarlacc was even better. The Rebel pre-BoE briefing gave a great feel of the Star Wars universe. The battle - ground and space - itself is very showy. The lightsaber duel is epic.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Because, as we all know, a technologically superior force always wins, especially when they're fighting against those who are defending their own territory with prepared fortifications and defences, and are also likely numerically superior...
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline maje

Though this is sacrilege, one can credibly argue that A New Hope is pretty boring until after the Mos Eisley take off, especially after watching Revenge of the Sith.  It's not really until the end of The Empire Strikes Back that the whole saga begins to really come together.

No, among my biggest beefs with the prequels was that none of the Sith apprentices had any character development, and really served no purpose other than cool bad guy.  I mean, Darth Maul had an awesome fighting style, but that's it.  Darth Tyranus really wasn't in the films save the end of Attack of the Clones and beginning of Revenge of the Sith.  Unless you watched the animated Clone Wars series or comics, General Grevious came out of nowhere.

Visually, the prequels have a lot more going for them, but you know, the originals were only made in the 70s and 80s so go figure.

ROTJ is fine as a film, the Ewoks are a little hokey, but it didn't kill the movie for me.  I mean, the Jawas aren't really that much different, you just don't know what they look like.

The special editions only really screwed up one thing IMHO, and that's Han not firing first.
Deuternomy 22:11 explained:

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline aRaven

Because, as we all know, a technologically superior force always wins, especially when they're fighting against those who are defending their own territory with prepared fortifications and defences, and are also likely numerically superior...

if the wookiees were the techn. inferior force as originally intended...but ewoks??? no, never.

and think of the prepared fort. and defences... GIANT TRUNKS that smash AT-STs with ease...how can ewoks ever manage to get these up in the sky in that short amount of time??

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Well, the Empire's been on Endor for quite a while, maybe they had it all set up and were leading the imperials into various traps they had already been setting up for several months or even years.

It's their turf, their home, they know the terrain, and though there's no real source, I'd imagine they probably vastly outnumbered the imperials.  An Imperial legion is only just over 8000 troops.

If you doubt their ability, there's plenty of historical parallels that one could use.  Vietnam and Somalia come to mind right away.

i admit that that list is vary biased. there is something (not shown there) called 10 reasons why RotJ doesn't totally suck, and it actually made my next RotJ viewing much more enjoyable.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
I still dislike RotJ immensely, but don't let me stop you from watching. I liked AoC's ending tho. The start of the Battle of Geonosis, and the opening for RotS, the one which shows the Venators and Providences getting it on. I'm patiently waiting for the Clone Wars animated series. I've heard that Anakin gets an unofficial apprentice during the series.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
yay more continuity errors!

also, where were Victory Destroyers and Dreadnoughts in the Battle of Coruscant?  Yay spitting in the face of the established universe!
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Lol, yea. I was wondering that. I saw plenty of Venators, but I didn't notice any Victories or Dreadnoughts. Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing Dreadnoughts during Battle of Geonosis, too, only Acclamators.

Cmon, seriously, try reading through that list in detail, and a lot of the stuff in there is just completely repetetive, with about 80% of the list simply being "I didn't like the Ewoks" or some that don't make sense (Saying that the Ships in RotJ look so clean and shiny?  I wonder if he's thinking of the prequels)

I'm not even sure what he's talking about ship wise. I recall Tantive IV being pretty damn clean and shiny on the inside.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Didn't somebody prove Ewoks were only for the merchandising? The fact that the word "Ewok" is never uttered once in the movie makes me believe this even more.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Reasons why ROTJ was "mediocre" compared to ANH and "bad" compared to TESB:
-No witty dialog. Lucas finally had the script to himself, and he can't write a dialog for ****s.
-Carry Fisher was on crack all the time - watch her performance, and you'll notice she's looking off into the distance and there's a discernible pause each and every time she has to act.
-For once Harrison Ford gives a bland performance - as far as Jabba's palace he gives a good show, but afterwards he's all chummy and light, the sarcastic, dark edge of his character is gone.
-Mark Hammil can't portray a mature character, granted Luke is still young, but a person should be more set and solid after becoming a Jedi knight (...or maybe not, but hell we're talking about ROTS here). He's more reserved and not so brash, and he gives a a superb performance when he 'goes over'; but the other times his character simply lack the "character" it had in the previous films. Throughout his interrogation he comes off as bland.

-I could live with the Ewoks. But they're way too kiddy-friendly. Somalia, Vietnam - the insurgents were always bloody ruthless and aggressive. Hell, even if they were inept gummy bears, I want my guerrilla fighters to be vicious in their methods and mentality....for without they're as good as a lost cause.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan