Author Topic: Afterburners, or The Most Misleading Subject Ever  (Read 65895 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I didn't really say much attention to the prequels when i watched them, which one was it in?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
All of them referenced it, but it was episode I that paid the most attention to them
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Hold up: did they ever actually say that midiwhatnots gave a person the ability to use the force? I'm not entirely sure, but I think not. If not, maybe the mp3chlorians are only attracted to someone who uses the force, and therefore would build up massively in someone like Anakin?

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
It's pretty explicitely said that the Midiclorians pretty much are the force.  in Ep1 Qui-gonn explains it to kid Anakin, saying that they're what give a jedi power.  In ep3 Palpatine says that Darth Plageus could create life and stop people from dying via the midiclorians. 
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline aRaven

no the midic. are the suborgans in a cell that communicate/control with the force. as obi-wan in ANH and yoda in TESB said, the force is a energy field that surround and penetrates us. It's not crude matter.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
I'm pretty sure that Anakin was tested and was found to have the highest count of midichlorians ever, which is why Qui-gon thought he was the prophesized one to bring the force into balance. (or some such tosh!)
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Snail

• SC 5
So of course we're not abiding to g-canon, since g-canon includes: Greedo missing from point-blank range, minichlorians, 9 year old kids blowing up strategic military targets, 9 year old kids falling in love with 18 year olds, 18 year olds controlling planets, 9 year olds making fully functional Pod racers, 9 year olds making fully functional protocol droids, the prophecy, Ewoks, armies of battle droids, clones, midifukkians, UNLIMITED POWAR, dual-wield lightsabers, He Who Must Not Be Named, R2-D2 with jet thrusters, R2-D2 with jet thrusters, R2-D2 with jet thrusters, R2-D2 with jet thrusters, Hayden Christensen replacing Sebastian Shaw, Ewoks, midi****ingchlorians, Neimodians, 9 year olds flying pod racers, Han Solo not shooting first, UNLIMITED POWAR, really stupid fart jokes, Ewoks, Jar Jar Binks, midichlorians, <insert repeated phrase here> and everything from the prequel trilogy.

So will the prequels be canon to Fate of the Galaxy?

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Luckily, in building a space sim, pretty much none of those complaints affect us Snail.

The Prequels will be canon, but we're not focusing on them.  It's not like we're gonna go out there and just make up our own universe.  Prequels happened, deal with it.  Are they as good as the originals? no, not even close, but for our purposes they don't really change anything except maybe giving us a few extra ships to play with.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Also, Ewoks rule. :p

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Also, Ewoks rule. :p

"As we speak, my best men are on the Sanctuary Moon, being defeated by prehistoric primitives."

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
These same "best men" can't aim well enough to hit a Rebel at 20 feet.  The fact that they were defeated by a bunch of teddy bears with rocks makes perfect sense.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
These same "best men" can't aim well enough to hit a Rebel at 20 feet.  The fact that they were defeated by a bunch of teddy bears with rocks makes perfect sense.
Hence
"As we speak, my best men are on the Sanctuary Moon, being defeated by prehistoric primitives."
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Meh, it's the classic rule of heroic combat. The more bad guys there are, the worse their aim becomes.

Ie. Luke in the Death Star bay stands firing against a bunch of Storm troopers who continue to miss him while he's hitting doorbells, etcetera.

Meanwhile on Endor, one or two troopers in the bush, and when R2D2 comes down to open the door that one trooper nails him with a blaster shot.

But anyway, not sure what this has to do with Afterburners.

Offline aRaven

The blaster accuracy of the elite troopers is really burning my after!

after, get it?? :D

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
That could very well be classic psychology at play.  It's collective laziness, the more people you throw at a particular task, the less effort applied individually.  So the more stormtroopers shooting at one target, the more they figure, why take the time to aim carefully, there's so much fire something has to hit him.  But then again, I'm sure a study that was based on things like tug of war hardly applies to a gunfight.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Another brand of psychology I love is tracking the progress of conversations (threads) along their various topics. It's fun!

I'm not complaining here, since I think the afterburners topic was pretty dead, and I enjoy silly stuff like this.

Offline aRaven

That could very well be classic psychology at play.  It's collective laziness, the more people you throw at a particular task, the less effort applied individually.  So the more stormtroopers shooting at one target, the more they figure, why take the time to aim carefully, there's so much fire something has to hit him.  But then again, I'm sure a study that was based on things like tug of war hardly applies to a gunfight.

No..just no... if you really mean it, give some sources of your hypothesis, just don't throw something pseudo-psycholgy out! :P

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy

No..just no... if you really mean it, give some sources of your hypothesis, just don't throw something pseudo-psycholgy out! :P

Are you arguing with my statement about applying it to a gunfight, which I already stated I was merely speculating about and have no factual data to back up that speculation, or the idea of collective laziness (probably not the pseudo-scientific term for it)?  I thought that was a fairly accepted concept of sociology.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline aRaven

I never heard of it. I wouldn't get lazy to kick someone's ass even when our numbers were superior.  And I don't think anybody else would. What you are refering to is maybe the bystander effect?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Ok, forget the gunfight.  By collective laziness, I'm merely referring to this:

Take a game of tug of war.  Let's say you have 1 person on one end of the rope.  Now, take that person and add 2 more of him.  You might think that 3 of the same person would be able to pull on the rope 3x harder, but I believe that's not usually the case.  The more people you add, the more the effort per individual decreases.  I'm pretty sure this is typically applied to other situations too, such as group projects, etc.

Now, if that's entirely wrong, fine, but that's all I was referring to.  Then, mostly for the purpose of creating a joke, I applied that to a gunfight.  I don't take that very seriously in doing so.  The base reasoning had nothing to do with kicking anyone's asses, merely group behavior patterns.