Author Topic: BattleTech LP: Hard Light Marines  (Read 51179 times)

Re: BattleTech LP: Hard Light Marines
@cmdrScotty On examination of advice of others who've fought clans, pls cancel MG and Flamer upgrades.
#YOLO #SWAG

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
If you allow running commentary... Infernos might work against elementals - assuming you can concentrate enough of them. Not stellar but average results.

Last I checked Infernos reacted with BA the same way they do against vehicles, i.e. roll higher than this number or you die. That said, the key to coping with battle armor is that it's slow and once the SRM flights are expended it has no range.

(The key to coping with the Clans is to realize it never ever goes well for most mercs, but I'm sure we can say yolo and swag enough.)

Infernos react to Battle Armor... well, nicely when you're dealing with missiles, and generally poorly when you're dealing with flamers.  The way it works is that every three heat hits, one suit is destroyed.  That's three inferno SRMs, three clusters of inferno LRMs, or three flamers.  Given that you could get three Medium Lasers for that, and three MLs is as likely or more to destroy a single suit than the flamers, it's a bad deal.

Against conventional infantry, though?  Flamers kill 4d6 infantry per hit.  A platoon comes with 28 troops, and at that point you're averaging 14 per hit.

Infernos deal critical hits to vehicles with a -2 penalty.

Flamers do kill 4d6 infantry, which is doubled when the infantry is in the open. MG and Small Pulse Lasers do I think 2d6.

In any case, what about a CritterTek LP???  :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://s147.photobucket.com/user/the_Grim_Reaper_1/library/Critter%20tek?sort=3&page=1

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/CritterTEK

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/22335/critter-tek

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Against conventional infantry, though?  Flamers kill 4d6 infantry per hit.  A platoon comes with 28 troops, and at that point you're averaging 14 per hit.

I like this part. Does it do 4d6 damage to infantry? No, it just kills that many.

How many soldiers does a jump-jet kill?
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

I like this part. Does it do 4d6 damage to infantry? No, it just kills that many.

No it does 4d6 damage in the rules.
Which may be doubled if they're in clear terrain.

Advanced Infantry can be given armour with damage divisors of 2 or 3, so 4d6 damage with an average of 14 would in that case only kill an average of 7 soldiers (with divisor 2).

Also Mechanized Infantry takes damage differently from conventional. Though I think they only take it differently vs regular weaponry (and take it normally vs Anti Infantry weaponry)

How many soldiers does a jump-jet kill?

Jump Jets don't kill infantry, only granny spiders.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
As said flamers and machine guns be deadly to infantry, especially in the open.

As to the it takes 3 missiles to kill a battle armor rule, that IIRC applies solely to Infernos or to vehicular flamethrowers with inferno fuel - not to flamers or incendiary LRMs. (F)lamers just deal measly 2 pts damage to battle armor per hit, no special effects.

Advanced infantry can also be issued field guns which balances the odds somewhat - running to a infantry ambush - say company strength, three platoon, each 28 men strong, each platoon armed with autocannons (like twin AC/20)...

Mechanized infantry (which are not battle armor) die twice as fast from normal attacks - PPC attack on infantry kills normally just 1 trooper, but would kill 2 mechanized troopers. But on the other hand they get damage divisor of 2 against anti-infantry hits (in addition to potentially packing armor).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 10:33:53 pm by Wanderer »
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Don't flamers increase the heat of the enemy? Thus if the enemy doesn't have enough heat sinks, they end up overheating?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
IIRC, you have the choice of inflicting 2 damage or adding 2 heat.  IMO, 2 heat is a waste of time, you need a mech that's already overheating for it to be any sort of concern at all. 
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Really, that's just stupid. It should either do BOTH or do far more heat damage.

Adn bloody hell, those autocanons are heavy!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Patriot

Let me be clear here, there is no such thing as Infantry or BA in our LP, we're fighting Mechs and Vehicles, that's it..

You dudes seem to forget AP ammo exists(i can select it in the Hangar as Swap Ammo) and we have PLENTY of ACs to be able to field a good amount. It's basically a guaranteed TAC every hit you make, and i put the option of Ultra-moding regular/light ACs..

So Planetary Assault it is.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
As said flamers and machine guns be deadly to infantry, especially in the open.

As to the it takes 3 missiles to kill a battle armor rule, that IIRC applies solely to Infernos or to vehicular flamethrowers with inferno fuel - not to flamers or incendiary LRMs. (F)lamers just deal measly 2 pts damage to battle armor per hit, no special effects.

Advanced infantry can also be issued field guns which balances the odds somewhat - running to a infantry ambush - say company strength, three platoon, each 28 men strong, each platoon armed with autocannons (like twin AC/20)...

Mechanized infantry (which are not battle armor) die twice as fast from normal attacks - PPC attack on infantry kills normally just 1 trooper, but would kill 2 mechanized troopers. But on the other hand they get damage divisor of 2 against anti-infantry hits (in addition to potentially packing armor).

I looked it up, actually, and Incendiary LRMs add +1 damage per five missiles in the volley that hits an infantry or battle armor unit.  So, still a little bit better (and breaching that critical five point threshold) against infantry, but not as much moreso as proper infernos.

Infantry platoons that are smaller than 30 troops cannot pull along twin AC/20s.  Each AC/20 is 14 tons, and one ton of ammo is included in the mass that must be accounted for.  Not to mention that AC/20s are much shorter range than any 'Mech wants to be getting to infantry anyway, and it's a very niche application.  Generally speaking, I prefer LGRs and LB-5Xs for field guns. :D

Mechanized troopers also take double damage in the open.  Meaning, in the open, against other infantry, they take "full" damage.  In the open against 'Mechs, the mechanized infantry are now taking... uh, I think it's 12d6 damage?  That or 16d6.

Armor-Piercing ammo is absolutely horrid, do not use it.  The critical hit check is made at a penalty depending on the caliber of autocannon you use.  AC/20s get a critical check at -1 (that's a bad thing for crits), and to top it all off only get two shots per ton of ammo.  AP ammo has halved counts, rounded down.  AC/10s check for crits at -2, AC/5s at -3, and AC/2s at -4.  That means that an AC/2 will only ever score a TAC with AP ammo on a 12.  That's exactly as likely as scoring a TAC normally, so don't even bother.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Didn't incendiary LRMs miss 20% of their numbers every time you fired them - that is incendiary LRM20 actually checks for hits like 'LRM16' - so that +1 per five hitting missiles seems to only bringing the damage back to stock LRM levels.

Well.. only field guns i have used in BT were LAC/5s - and then we (house) ruled that they could be used in squad deployment. Nasty but expensive buggers.

Really, that's just stupid. It should either do BOTH or do far more heat damage.

Flamers do more heat to the mech firing them (3 heat) than to the target (2 heat)

Flamers are really an anti-infantry weapon.

If you want to heat up an enemy you should be using inferno SRMs or Plasma Cannons/Rifles. Plasma Cannon is a new weapon from the clans that does 10 straight heat. The Rifle is a Cappellan weapon which does 10 damage + 1d6 heat.

In either case, the maximum that a mech's heat can be increased from such means is 15 heat. Though, if a mech is running heat neutral that 15 heat will equate to a 4+ avoid shutdown roll. If they overheat as is, they might be in trouble.

Offline Patriot

Right boys, contract starts.

It's December 3050.
Update on unit purchases: Bought an F-90 Stingray(yep, Aerospace) cause the recruitment threw me a veteran pilot. Only using that for the scouting Houserule Scotty thought up. Meaning we can tone down the Clan forces by 1 unit.
Also bought a Thunderbolt(5S) and a Victor(9B) as spare units.

This contract limits us to level 2 tech, which means we'll be unable to replace Fusion engines outright. This means that whenever we get the chance, we ought to buy units that are at least passable as replacement for whatever is in it's class.

Also, Hobbie made Veteran! Random XP granted him enough to upgrade his gunnery(finally)!

And in our first week, 4th and 6th get to fight together, more details bout that in a later post :)

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Awwwww yeeeeeeh! Time for more Missile Mayhem!

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

Flamers do more heat to the mech firing them (3 heat) than to the target (2 heat)

Flamers are really an anti-infantry weapon.

If you want to heat up an enemy you should be using inferno SRMs or Plasma Cannons/Rifles. Plasma Cannon is a new weapon from the clans that does 10 straight heat. The Rifle is a Cappellan weapon which does 10 damage + 1d6 heat.

In either case, the maximum that a mech's heat can be increased from such means is 15 heat. Though, if a mech is running heat neutral that 15 heat will equate to a 4+ avoid shutdown roll. If they overheat as is, they might be in trouble.

Incorrect on the Clan Plasma Cannon.  It deals zero damage, and to 'Mechs deals 2d6 heat.  Against everything that doesn't track heat, however, it deals 3d6 damage, making it the magical murder stick extraordinaire.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Capellan Plasma Rifle is IMHO even worse, 10 + 2d6 damage to non-heat tracking units. Only saving grace is that it is not applied in a singly whammy but instead in standard 5 pts sets (same goes for Plasma Cannon too). Though given that the Plasma cannon weights something like 3 tons it is hilariously powerful weapon (even when limited with 20 shots per ton of ammo)

Offline Patriot

Goddammit..

Not only did we lose the fight, we lost Dragon and two other Mechwarriors in the process.
Not to mention we lost 3 tanks too, luckily, none of them got injured(even though Scourge should be, oddly enough..)

Those Rasalhaguans were useless as all hell, goddamn baiting clanner kept those two nitwits busy while we took the brunt of it, losing 6 units in 3 turns.
Seriously, we only killed 3 units of theirs!
The RNG thought it was funny to let the Clanners hit EVERY SINGLE ****ING 10+ SHOT THERE WAS TO BE HAD, and let me miss damn near every shot that was over 7 to hit.. On top of that the RNG decided the Clanners should always hit with ALL THE MISSILES in a launcher..

I was optimistic after we blew the turret off an Ares tank, would've been nice salvage if we won..

Now to reforge our outfit, gonna need new Mechwarriors and new tanks, we got spare Mechs so we're set on that end.
Also, a good time to put our Stingray to good use, what with the vacant Lance and all. I'll update the roster accordingly.

There is, however, good news. We are now a C-Rated outfit! So after this contract, if we survive, we can expand our outfit and do some more cool stuff!

Also, Dragon, as i mentioned very early in the topic, you'll get a chance of a new named character, and everybody can get into both a tank and a mech. The Aero pilot slot is also open for whoever comes first!

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Dirty Clanners! I told you we should have stomped Capellans! :P

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Night warns but nobody listens, no, not to Night.

The Clans are nasty, people.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story