Author Topic: BattleTech LP: Hard Light Marines  (Read 51170 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: BattleTech LP: Hard Light Marines
SLDF Royals stuff is Awesome(ly expensive, your combat effectiveness may vary).
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Awesome? Clan tech is awesome. SLDF Royals is just more of the 'same old' SL tech. About the same that ComStar uses. Or equal to what successor states can produce after 3040 or so.

In practice 'SLDF Royal' means variant of the 'good old' 'Mechs (or vehicles as case might be) - juiced with SL era tech. From sarna.net for HGN-732b: "The 732b model is a upgrade of the classic 732 built exclusively for SLDF Royal units. This variant drops two heat sinks and a ton of SRM ammo. Artemis IV FCS is added to the LRM and SRM launcher, while the heat sinks are upgraded to doubles. Additional short-range firepower comes in the form of a medium laser added to the right torso."
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I just wanna DFA someone. :D
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
SLDF Royals is just more of the 'same old' SL tech.

It's not about the tech, but rather that Royals designs were not stingy about its use and typically went about yelling "SPARE NO EXPENSE, ALL THE GOODIES, I DEMAND IT" in a way you won't see with with Inner Sphere designs again until the FedCom Civil War and the Capellan Reunification.

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
MEh. Makes no sense to me personally.

Larger caliber = shorter range? Since when?
That's probably why artillery guns are low-caliber and why pistols outrange sniper rifles.... oh wait, they don't! Actually they do in the MW universe. Balance (I guess. It's a crappy way to balance things)

Bullets exploding when hit? Maybe, if they are HE bullets or missiles and they are hit by a HE or incendiery. Otherwise? Very unlikely. And impossible when talking about gauss/rail/coilguns. They have no propellant.

Points of information:

Shorter ranges as autocannons get larger is fluffed as the autocannon firing more shells in quick succession, making it harder to land enough hits to do meaningful damage as range increases.  Alternately, the shell gets bigger and the powder charge stays the same, sorta like how a 9 mm (.38 caliber) is much longer ranged than a .45 caliber pistol.

All autocannon ammunition that is not explicitly labeled otherwise is considered High-Explosive thanks the Magic BattleMech Diamond Armor, which is somehow resistant to armor piercing effects but is easily damaged from falls and punches.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
SLDF Royals is just more of the 'same old' SL tech.

It's not about the tech, but rather that Royals designs were not stingy about its use and typically went about yelling "SPARE NO EXPENSE, ALL THE GOODIES, I DEMAND IT" in a way you won't see with with Inner Sphere designs again until the FedCom Civil War and the Capellan Reunification.
Umm... Not quite. See the TR with ugly mechs (IIRC 3055 ?) for example, nearly every design has every last ounce of LosTech that could fit included in them. IMHO the developers went quite a bit over the top there and as a result the subsequent TRs tend to feature more toned down designs. XL engine (the most expensive piece of 'Mech) is just about the standard in 3055 (?) - not so with SLDF Royals. Don't get me wrong here, SLDF Royal variants are good, but they are not that good. And afterwards, starting from 3058, IS already has access to tech beyond anything SLDF (even Royals) had.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Points of information:

Shorter ranges as autocannons get larger is fluffed as the autocannon firing more shells in quick succession, making it harder to land enough hits to do meaningful damage as range increases.  Alternately, the shell gets bigger and the powder charge stays the same, sorta like how a 9 mm (.38 caliber) is much longer ranged than a .45 caliber pistol.

All autocannon ammunition that is not explicitly labeled otherwise is considered High-Explosive thanks the Magic BattleMech Diamond Armor, which is somehow resistant to armor piercing effects but is easily damaged from falls and punches.

That's what I said - space magic.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
I think you misread, we didn't salvage a Highlander, we got a Hellbringer.  AKA Loki.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
And right now we get to do another SL Cache mission, this time a Royal Assault, in the form of a HGN-732b. If it's intact, we get it :D
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Patriot

I think you misread, we didn't salvage a Highlander, we got a Hellbringer.  AKA Loki.

you misread, it was strip-down only. and you screwed up another one too in your last battle!

Night and Niffi are now out of a mech. so they've been on the bench for this week. I did some hopping around in terms of people, so 2nd lance is now under Deathfun's MW alt's command, with Ralwood and 2 no-names in tow.

We also fixed the Timber Wolf up, which is now Hobbie's, as his Kintaro got is getting CASE reinstalled again(apparantly it was a little bug i instigated when looking at what damage it had in the scenario wrap-up screen). He's also been transferred to 1st Lance.

And 1st lance has a battle this week. We got the Highlander btw, can't use it until March(currently February).

Our stockpile of Clan Tech is growing, so bear with me as i hope to salvage some more mechs so we can stock up on units.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Umm... Not quite. See the TR with ugly mechs (IIRC 3055 ?) for example, nearly every design has every last ounce of LosTech that could fit included in them. IMHO the developers went quite a bit over the top there and as a result the subsequent TRs tend to feature more toned down designs. XL engine (the most expensive piece of 'Mech) is just about the standard in 3055 (?) - not so with SLDF Royals. Don't get me wrong here, SLDF Royal variants are good, but they are not that good. And afterwards, starting from 3058, IS already has access to tech beyond anything SLDF (even Royals) had.

3055 has a few designs like that, but not many (the Wraith and Berserker come to mind). There are some that attempt it but fall down on their limitations, mainly because at that time I don't think it was widely understood how much space disappeared when slapping both ferrofiber and endosteel on an IS design.

A Feddie Story

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Hurray! What's the Timberwolf model?

EDIT: And as greedy as I sound, can I use the Highlander when it's available? I really like that mech model.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 03:47:20 pm by Hobbie »

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Remember: I will not accept a ride with a less than 5-8-0 movement profile!

A Feddie Story

Offline Patriot

Hurray! What's the Timberwolf model?

Prime, and we picked up a Hellbringer Prime and another Timber Wolf, this time a D variant. Also salvaged a Nova A for strip-down.

Night, i doubt you need to worry, that Hellbringer has a 5/8 profile and i can't have my XO not run anything other then speed machines eh?

That extra Timber Wolf however, might be a while till we can fix that up. I salvaged a Streak SRM6 off of it to fix up the Hellbringer.

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
So looking over the current company assignments, all we need now is for me in an Assault mech and we have a full Assault lance. We've certainly moved up in the world.

This is what happens when you beat up on second-line Clan forces.  Only a few Omnis and poor-quality pilots.  I can guarantee you though that if we were defending a planet against front-line Clan Wolf troops our asses would be nailed to the walls of their Mech hangars by now.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Night and Niffi are now out of a mech. so they've been on the bench for this week. I did some hopping around in terms of people, so 2nd lance is now under Deathfun's MW alt's command, with Ralwood and 2 no-names in tow.

Fair thee well trusty Panther :(

Still, with Clan salvage coming in, it's not all bad, although I'd like to reuse NGTM-1R's post for myself, fast mechs FTW :)

Remember: I will not accept a ride with a less than 5-8-0 movement profile!
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Mechs I found I loved in MW4: Mercs. If I can pilot one of thse, I'll be happy:

HELLHOUND

BUSCHWACKER (???)

COUGAR

BLACK KNIGHT

CANIS

Loki...Uller...ther's plenty of nice looking mechs. But ATM I'm enjoying Bushwacker (I think.. MW4 name might be different) the most

Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Well... I personally i love the MWIV version of Conjurer/Hellhound - but the original one appears to be one of the many victims of the utterly horrible TR3055 - see http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Conjurer_%28Hellhound%29

Bushwacker is a solid FC design - initial version with AC10 didn't really shine IMO but actual 'production' versions (ones without X in designation) are good - especially as they pack LBX10 or LBX20. Unless you play quirks enabled as Bushwackie often gains 'no torso twist' quirk. Reason is probably evident from the pic from sarna - http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Bushwacker

Offline Patriot

I'll be sure to have Scotty negotiate for a few Bushies once they hit production in 3053. That time ought to give us a respite too, and i anticipate a few more pirate hunting contracts in the era of the Truce of Tukkayid(hell, i might even add us to the battle that went before the signing of that).

So, boys, keep May 1 3052 open in your agendas, cause it's gonna be 21 days of doom then. But now, it's the end of february and we get to roll for morale. Which ends up being lowered to the point of Low. This means Base Attacks as the offensive party are now possible.

We also need some mechs for our Bondsmen, we have six of them and half of those are from January(it's when i decided that MM is a ***** and i get to keep whatever MWs i pick up with my units) and need a Mech ASAP or i won't be able to have Bondsmen anymore. I can't seem to find the ruling on it anymore, but i'm pretty sure you need to give a bondsman a mech or tank(depending on what type of personnel he/she is) within 3 months.
Good thing it's Market time and we have a nice wad of cash to dish out for some cheap stuff.

I bought the following units:

OSR-2C
BLR-1G
HBK-4G
GRF-1N
ZEU-6S
HBK-4J

Going to divide these up as i see fit, should be good for reinforcing our outfit.

Also, the Highlander we got from the SL Cache mission is available this month and i'm assigning that to Niffiwan, and reinstating his commission into 2nd Lance. 2nd Lance is almost back to the old club, with Night being in lead again in his shiny Hellbringer Prime, minus half the Streak SRM6 ammo.

Which means Deathfun gets to coerce our newly Corporal'd Bondsmen into battle this week. Unlucky sods..

Other lances going into combat this week are: 2nd Lance, 3rd Lance and 6th Armored Cav.
Special Mission of this week: StarSlayer gets Ambushed by 3 light mechs.