Author Topic: "Testing, Testing, One, Two ..." (new sound code)  (Read 66647 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: "Testing, Testing, One, Two ..." (new sound code)
There were two audiostr's, one was Windows specific and the other was for OpenAL.  I renamed the *-openal.cpp versions of everything to the normal names.  I believe that previously when I was handling the Xcode project I had everything added to the project file but would just set it not build the Windows specific stuff.  Same basic thing with dscap, except that stubs for all of the capture functions were in ds.cpp and dscap.cpp simply wasn't built.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Ah ok, so dropping audiostr-openal.cpp out of the project removed it from the code target too of course, but audiostr.cpp was tracked and just not set to be built now.  Makes sense.  Well, working now I think, will test the build later.  Might put out a full set before I go home for testing.  Course, your up to date changes would be nice for that :)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Here is a diff of the changes from the previous patch.  Mostly just the warning fixes, but also has the possible bug fix for the crash/freeze, fixes doppler on capships, and has a slightly better rolloff.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Cool.  Committed to Antipodes and adding links to Mac builds based on that to the first post.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
First post updated with new Windows builds as well.

This new build will hopefully fix doppler being applied to sounds that aren't supposed to have it, guess at a proper rolloff for 3d sounds so that they will fade out properly over the specified distance, and possibly fix the crash/freeze that was reported.

Also I would be interested in knowing how many people are using EFX and how it is working.  For people with X-Fi cards EFX should be hardware accelerated, so it should perform pretty well in that case.  I just haven't heard any bug reports about EFX and the only logs that I've seen were from people that had EFX disabled so I'm a bit curious to know if anyone is actually testing that part of the code. :)

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I have an X-Fi, I'm assuming just enabling it in the X-Fi's own control panel is enough for the game to pick it up and use it?

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Release Builds (or at least SSE2 INF) reports the following:
Code: [Select]
5>..\..\code\sound\ds.cpp(2019) : warning C4101: 'err' : unreferenced local variable
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
I have an X-Fi, I'm assuming just enabling it in the X-Fi's own control panel is enough for the game to pick it up and use it?
I'm not sure if you can actually override it with the drivers, but if so it wouldn't be the same thing that the game does.  For the game to use it you would have to enable it via the registry.  Obviously a change to the Launcher would be good to do that with, but as I'm stuck with VC 2008 Express, I can't work on or build MFC apps. :sigh:

Release Builds (or at least SSE2 INF) reports the following:
Code: [Select]
5>..\..\code\sound\ds.cpp(2019) : warning C4101: 'err' : unreferenced local variable
Yeah I saw that one.  It's error handling with a try/catch block, with "err" being a function name that couldn't be loaded which is sent to the debug log with mprintf() (so it's unused in release builds).  Not really sure what to do about it though.  Any ideas?

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Well, can't just #ifdef it, since that would move the problem and you still need it to flag up something for release builds if extensions are not found I'm guessing.

I'll have a think on it while I test the builds.

Edit: On Analyze, the rtvoice warnings are still present. I'm checking to see if the warnings in the gmsnd have any bearing on any issues (supposing that I run into any)

EDIT 2: Comms menu no longer crashes. non-Beam (Laser) Turrets have a firing sound, but no impact sound (at least not when hitting the player)

Engine Wash seems to be a little tempermental as to when it will kick on or not, and while that is not related to this, quick taps of AB or jockying of thrusters will cut Engine Wash effect out even though the HUD still displays that you should be hearing it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 10:24:34 pm by Zacam »
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Edit: On Analyze, the rtvoice warnings are still present. I'm checking to see if the warnings in the gmsnd have any bearing on any issues (supposing that I run into any)
Yeah I didn't make any changes there.  I have rtvoice disabled so I don't think those functions should ever be called now.  That code is just so messed up that I am just going to rewrite it for post-3.6.12 and replace the compression codec with Speex.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Yay!

¤[D+¬>

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Any plans to work with the CMU Sphinx stuff?  I always thought it looked promising to replace the SAPI crapola.

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
hi,
yeah the fix work, not freeze :D.

to EFX: i search a bit around in the internet and it seems that all newer driver of creative have a bug, so only after a fresh install and the first start of a program EFX work (so post it a member in the creative forum), after that he didnt work anymore.
but i dont really found much about this problem, i think the most people didnt regonice it, because theres not many games with 3D sound support around anymore (i didnt regonice it too :( ).
i will further invesgitage, maybe a found a "work" around, if you i will post it here.

Mehrpack

Edit: ok find in the moment no solution, tried to use an older ct_oal.dll verion, but thats didnt work, maybe the install of the orginal cd driver would work, but then maybe other errors and in the moment i didnt want to try it out, with deinstallation and new installation of this old driver.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 05:35:46 am by Mehrpack »
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Taylor, if a regedit is necessary, could you provide some details for the key to add/edit?  Or perhaps a .reg file that does it for us?  I'm comfortable with the registry, not sure about anyone else.

Edit:  NM got it myself.  EnableEFX looks like the key.  Need to create HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Volition\FreeSpace2\Sound, and then create a DWORD named EnableEFX with a value of 1.  Then FS will read that I believe.  Also, SampleRate is now in Sound.  Default is a decimal value of 44100.  Might make a tweak to the launcher for this stuff later.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 11:03:08 am by chief1983 »

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
hi,
thanks for the tip and i try it out, but didnt work.
maybe some other have more success.
but if you use windows vista/ windows 7, the keys are store in the virtualstore unter hkey_users.

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
64bit also has to worry about the key being somewhere else as well.

¤[D+¬>

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well, it should go wherever your freespace keys already are.  There should already be some present.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Any plans to work with the CMU Sphinx stuff?  I always thought it looked promising to replace the SAPI crapola.
No plans for that at the moment.  I might look into it at some point but I don't have much time for stuff these days so don't count on it.

Taylor, if a regedit is necessary, could you provide some details for the key to add/edit?  Or perhaps a .reg file that does it for us?  I'm comfortable with the registry, not sure about anyone else.

Edit:  NM got it myself.  EnableEFX looks like the key.  Need to create HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Volition\FreeSpace2\Sound, and then create a DWORD named EnableEFX with a value of 1.  Then FS will read that I believe.  Also, SampleRate is now in Sound.  Default is a decimal value of 44100.  Might make a tweak to the launcher for this stuff later.
That info was in the first post actually.  :p

The launcher changes would be nice though, since I can't make those myself.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Ugh.   I guess it seemed like more of a TL;DR moment to me.  That's what I get.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Also, changing the existing launcher would probably make it incompatible with previous builds' settings.  Unless both are settable somehow.