Author Topic: Slashing Beams  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Vellos0x1

• What goes here?
    • Steam
I don't really get slashing beams actual purpose. Like it deal a lot less damage than non-slashing beam, and sometimes it even misses the target completely.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
They look cool
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
They tend to have a higher cycling rate than direct beams and because they move across the hull it's much more likely that subsystems are destroyed.

They look cool
This too.

Offline Kie99

Much more chance of wiping out unfortunate fighters.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
One could make an in-lore explanation of why both slash and direct-fire beams are present. For example, slash beams may be cheaper and easier to construct and maintain, have less space, energy and targeting requirements, they can be far less susceptible against EWAR attacks (in BP: WiH beam jamming doesn't affect slash beams in some cases), or they can be utilised to deplete large fields of active armor on enemy warships in order to soften them against subsequent slashes or bomber strikes...
Slash beams could even be just one of two modes (second being direct-fire) of a beam cannon, profiting from one of the above.

They are present in the game because a)
They look cool
b) they are a kinda big reason for the player not to get between fighting warships,
c) capship weapon balance - a certain warship might have a bit weaker beam cannon than other ones and player has to take it into consideration when prioritising his targets, but it would be hard to distinguish between 7 sizes of a beam, all the same color. When you see a slash beam you automatically think "It's weaker than the direct-fire beam, better take care of that other one first.". Right?
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Slash beams do have a greater chance of causing more subsystem damage than direct fire beams.  Direct fire only causes damage to one subsystem per shot, while slashers can damage many subsystems in a single slash.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
They could be designed for orbital bombardment like.   Makes sense to me that it'd raze more ground per "volley"/"salvo".
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png