Author Topic: After all these years...  (Read 1973 times)

After all these years...
I finally beat Wing Commander 3... on a real pure MS-DOS PC using original old school hardware (including an old dos joystick).  Amazing.  I never beat it back in the 90's for whatever reason so finally I have done it!  :)  I played the crap out of 1 and 2 back when they first came out so it is fulfilling to finally beat 3.

Well, that begs the next question... Is beating/playing through 4 required for WC Saga?  I have to track down a copy of 4 before I can play it but... I don't want saga to spoil it for me...

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Re: After all these years...
The "Darkest Dawn" campaign begins right before Wing Commander 3 and concludes with the ending of the Terran-Kilrathi War. So no, you don't have to play Wing Commander 4 in order to comprehend the storyline. I'd play it regardless - it is fantastic.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
respect for beating WC3
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Thanks!  On Crazy difficulty, none the less.  :)  It was hard.  I'd have done nightmare but my DOS joystick is so old the calibration of it is whacked.  Even after taking it apart (don't ever try and take apart an Advanced Gravis) and using contact cleaner on it, it still isn't great but it gets the job done.

So no, you don't have to play Wing Commander 4 in order to comprehend the storyline. I'd play it regardless - it is fantastic.
+1
If you don't want to track a copy down, you can watch it here.

Also, congrats for beating 3 :yes: