Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next >
I would have interest in more campaigns set during the vanilla Freespace 2 campaign where you fight the NTF while the battle against the Shivans rages elsewhere
Well, just to provide my own input, I made Chanticleer as a solo project using the existing Blue Planet modpack, with no new assets, no new mechanics, no extra complexity - just a 13-mission campaign with limited ambitions.  If you're interested in making a first mod, I strongly suggest using one of the big modpacks (Inferno, BP, SerRes, etc) as a base and build off it so you don't have to do all the tedious work of putting tables together.
FreeSpace Discussion / Re: What Freespace are you (Re)Playing Now?
« Last post by ShivanSlayer on May 09, 2024, 05:11:04 am »
I just beat Shrouding the Light and crushed the HOL for good.  Next I will battle the NTF in Pandora's Box
Nightly Builds / Nightly: 09 May 2024 - Revision 68a936504
« Last post by SirKnightly on May 09, 2024, 01:34:36 am »
Here is the nightly for 09 May 2024 - Revision 68a936504

Group: Linux
nightly_20240509_68a936504-builds-Linux.tar.gz (Mirror)

Group: MacOSX-arm64
nightly_20240509_68a936504-builds-Mac-arm64.tar.gz (Mirror)

Group: MacOSX-x86_64
nightly_20240509_68a936504-builds-Mac-x86_64.tar.gz (Mirror)

Group: Win32-SSE2
nightly_20240509_68a936504-builds-Win32-SSE2.zip (Mirror)

Group: Win64-SSE2
nightly_20240509_68a936504-builds-x64-SSE2.zip (Mirror)

Code: [Select]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
commit 68a936504
Author: Kestrellius
Commit: GitHub

Make laser glow scaling configurable. (#6123)
 code/weapon/weapon.h    |  3 +++
 code/weapon/weapons.cpp | 32 +++++++++++++++++++++++---------
 2 files changed, 26 insertions(+), 9 deletions(-)
FreeSpace Discussion / Re: What Freespace are you (Re)Playing Now?
« Last post by Borgkube on May 08, 2024, 11:22:23 pm »
Fs1 campaign then FS2 campaign, all over again. Freespace Descent The Great War was always my all-time favorite space sim. It is still the best executed HUD in space Sims. The Shivans are a great Foe. One of my favorite of all my PC games. I was glad that Volition made the source available when they shut down. The fact that it is still being molded 30 years later speaks to the quality of the original product!
Hey everyone!
Long time lurker on HLP, and even longer-time fan of the Freespace series. I have been playing since the original game came out, made a mission and submitted it to get a free copy of Silent Threat, and bought Freespace 2 on opening day. Since then, I have been absolutely in awe of the Hardlight and Freespace Open community; watching each iteration through the years. I have replayed this game more than I would admit, but pretty much every two to three years I get the itch to go around again. Everytime I tell myself "Wow! They have pushed this engine to it's MAX! It is awesome and there is no way they could top it!" and each time I am just blown away again. In 2024, I returned to replay again and am just astounded that the game with Knossos support has again exceeded my expectations, and I feel as though I am reliving a great memory but with glasses on this time.
Having said all of this, It has been in my 'bucket list' since I was a young teen in the 90's to make a Freespace campaign. The ease of the FRED engine has obviously lent the game to lean towards fan creations. Only now, I feel I am late to the game. There are so many fantastic, epic, and emotional campaigns out there over the 25 years since the release of the game. I have for decades had an idea of what I envisioned as FS3 in my mind and where I would go with the story, based on the lore that has been shared and what the developers original intentions were. Which leads me to the big question.
Is there any desire to still play "Random guy 572's" campaign?
My concerns are:
Too many campaigns out there: There are so many FS2 campaigns that I won't even try to count them. In a sea of other takes, is it worth it for me to throw my hat into the ring?
Not technically proficient: I wont have the time or effort to build brand new 'content' like unique weapons, ships, or setups to the game. Would you play another campaign with the same ships you are used to?
It's been done before: There are many INCREDIBLE takes on a continuation of Freespace out there already. Would a new take even be desired?
It would use established assets: FS1 and FS2 will always be GOLD in my mind. I would probably use most of my assets from the two of them and supplement with other pre-existing mods. On top of that, my campaign would be set with roughly a decade of FS2. Realistically, it is hard to build an entire new fleet of new technologies in that time (just look at the jump from FS1 to FS2 and that was 30 years). Would you play a campaign with assets you have used before?
It would use mod created assets from other campaigns: There are MANY campaigns I love that I feel assets from would slip easily into my campaign from. Would you #1, play a campaign with assets drawn from the community and other campaigns?
Also, as almost a separate question, it I were to incorporate a modded craft, what is the community etiquette? Should I search for the original poster, the mod that used their work, or the community here for permission to use it? Or are the mods treated as 'freeware' within the community? Obviously, any credit will be given to the creator.
At the end of the day, I may make my 'vision' of a Freespace campaign even if I will be the only one that ever plays it, but I would love to share it with the community and make it something you would all like to play.
Thank you all for reading and have a great night!
Mission & Campaign Releases / Re: TEST RELEASE: FreeSpace Port: ReCharged
« Last post by Iain Baker on May 08, 2024, 01:23:21 am »
Here's the Release Thread, and my WIP Thread.  I released this back in the pre-Knossos days, and I'm not even sure if the link works anymore.  I've got the 2nd chapter mostly ready, but I'm planning on doing more work on it and Chapter 1 as well.  That said, I'm currently completely absorbed with the upgrade of the TBP campaign "In The Beginning", and won't be doing anything further until that's done and out.

Sweet, this sounds like a heavily improved campaign, something FS1 needs because it is very simple compared to what has been made since (It’s one of the reasons I based ReCharged on it - it’s simple enough to get my head around).

Looking forward to seeing the In the beginning upgrades - I have been meaning to re-play the B5 campaigns, just haven’t got around to it yet.
Here's the Release Thread, and my WIP Thread.  I released this back in the pre-Knossos days, and I'm not even sure if the link works anymore.  I've got the 2nd chapter mostly ready, but I'm planning on doing more work on it and Chapter 1 as well.  That said, I'm currently completely absorbed with the upgrade of the TBP campaign "In The Beginning", and won't be doing anything further until that's done and out.
Mission & Campaign Releases / Re: TEST RELEASE: FreeSpace Port: ReCharged
« Last post by Iain Baker on May 07, 2024, 07:03:20 am »
Glad to see your take on an upgraded FS1, differs from mine.

Ooh, interesting. What’s your take on it? Wanna compare notes?
Nightly Builds / Nightly: 07 May 2024 - Revision 6edaea605
« Last post by SirKnightly on May 07, 2024, 01:33:35 am »
Here is the nightly for 07 May 2024 - Revision 6edaea605

Group: Linux
nightly_20240507_6edaea605-builds-Linux.tar.gz (Mirror)

Group: MacOSX-arm64
nightly_20240507_6edaea605-builds-Mac-arm64.tar.gz (Mirror)

Group: MacOSX-x86_64
nightly_20240507_6edaea605-builds-Mac-x86_64.tar.gz (Mirror)

Group: Win32-SSE2
nightly_20240507_6edaea605-builds-Win32-SSE2.zip (Mirror)

Group: Win64-SSE2
nightly_20240507_6edaea605-builds-x64-SSE2.zip (Mirror)

Code: [Select]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
commit b7f4ad978
Author: Dark-Visor
Commit: Dark-Visor

Accept "color" and "colour" in game_settings.tbl
 code/mod_table/mod_table.cpp | 22 +++++++++++-----------
 1 file changed, 11 insertions(+), 11 deletions(-)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next >