Author Topic: RELEASE — Blue Planet  (Read 170700 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: RELEASE — Blue Planet
I'm sorry, I'm completely out of touch. I have no idea what the problem might be.

Knossos was supposed to make everything simpler and more error-proof but I don't know what counts as a stable build these days or how recently BP has been altered.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The duplicate sound warning is a known issue I haven't gotten around to fixing yet; I assumed it to be harmless, but apparently it isn't.

It would be somewhat helpful if you could click through those warnings (just press the "Continue" button in the warning popup) and reproduce the actual crash.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Unfortunately no matter what options I try, run fast debug will not let me continue to the main menu. Fortunately I have not encountered any other bugs on other missions. It's just delenda est when the sound is on that there is an issue. Hopefully it can be fixed at some point. It even crashes when I run the mission as a simulator mission.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Grasping at straws here, but do we have a known stable build BP definitely runs correctly on...?

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Things I think should be mentioned:

Code: [Select]
Int3(): From C:\projects\fs2open-github-com\code\osapi\dialogs.cpp at line 415
Are you running your FSO builds from some othe place than Knossos mod library?

Searching root 'C:\Games\FreespaceOpen\FS2\' ... 13 filesLooks like there might be some unwanted/misplaced files within FS2 or FS2/data. Would you mind checking the directories?

There's also this:
-no_enhanced_sound
-snd_preload
I wonder what happens if you disable any of these flags? I think that the latter one is enabled by default in BP though...

Another thing is that I don't see any MV_Advanced or bpc-advanced archives downloaded. It might be worth a try, maybe that can make a difference. Try going to mod details -> Modify and using this interface to download these. You could remove them later on.

Also definitely upload a debug log with your attempts of clicking through all warnings. Might give some more info.

I think 19.0.0 FSO *should* be working fine, but just in case, could you try running a latest nightly? Navigate to Knossos settings (gear symbol in topright corner) and then mark the "Show builds in mod list" checkbox and select "Nightlies" in the "Preferred engine stability:" box above it. Navigate to Home, update FSO mod, and then select the new build in BP's FSO settings.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

I tried it again after installing all of the advanced files and got all the way to the end then on the very last scene, seconds before end mission it crashed (On delenda est). I then manged to get into the fast debug and ran it twice-both times it crashed mid level. I'm uploading the data file for both crashes.
I don't think that i am running from the wrong folder? The Knossos application defaults to c\program files 86x which is where i installed that but the mod library and fso builds are reccomended to be in c:\games\freespace open. Both mods and fso builds are in this folder?
You mentioned possible misplaced or unwanted files, is there anything in particular I need to look out for?
 I re-enabled  the no_enhanced_sound flag, but I didn't see a - snd preload flag.
I downloaded the advanced archives and unfortunately it didn't prevent the crash, although I did finish the level only to have it crash in the very last cut scene.
I will look into seeing if a nightly build will solve the issue.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

Last attachment

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

Thanks for the tip I successfully completed the mission using the latest nightly build "fs2_open_20_1_0_20200719_f03df9e_x64_SSE2" 

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That specific crash (which is a result of a small change in the way we calculate which frame to start a comm ani on triggering a bit of leftover Volition debug code) has been fixed in recent nightlies.

Offline Mito [PL]

Yay, I guess. That's another one issue located.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Do you think it will ever be possible to play Freespace blue the vanilla campaign remaster with a cockpit? Aside from the ini files as many of those don't look very good. I really liked fightermedic's cockpit mod but I don't think that is compatible with the blue planet mod. The UEF cockpits were cool although sometimes it seemed that they took up to much of the screen.

If there's ever a voice acting drive for Part 2 (or subsequent parts) my vocal talents are at your disposal, as ever. If I drift away from the forums again, a private message will bring me back; the forum's set to notify me of those by e-mail.  :)  And I will be super annoyed if the GTC Duke makes an appearance in later parts and I don't get to reprise the role.  ;) 
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Just finished Blue Planet after Knossos brought me back to FS2... my god, what you guys have done is just... beyond everything. Well done to all involved. Will there be an Act 4, or is it all done now?

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
I was mucking around in the VP viewer the other day and I noticed that there are voice files for Steel's half of the conversation in 'Everything Is Permitted'. Any reason these weren't used, and is there anyway to put them back in? Cheers :-)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I was mucking around in the VP viewer the other day and I noticed that there are voice files for Steel's half of the conversation in 'Everything Is Permitted'. Any reason these weren't used, and is there anyway to put them back in? Cheers :-)

BP's mission files are not contained in a single VP file and can be accessed directly in \FS2\blueplanetcomplete-1.0.10\data\missions. You can tinker with the mission file (bp2-19.fs2) directly using Notepad (:drevil:) or FRED (in Knossos, mouseover the Blue Planet banner -> Details -> Options -> Run FRED2).

In FRED, message audio is called using the Events Manager (Editors -> Events, or SHIFT + E). Check through all the entries in the Messages box on the right until you select the message(s) you want to replace the audio, then in the "Wave file" dropdown box below, replace emptymsg.ogg or non_critical_med.ogg by manually entering the exact file name of the audio (including the file extension). If you do this right, when you press the little play button beside the Browse button, you should hear Steele's magnificent voice. Once you've replaced all the audio, save your changes by pressing the OK button and saving the mission file.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Mito [PL]

Also note that Samuel Bei has voice acting in Universal Truth 2. Like, it's ingame.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

https://fsnebula.org/log/5f2848654a7fd9c4e25a5600

Hi folks,

just upgraded to the latest versions, but it crashes at start of the mission. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
https://fsnebula.org/log/5f2848654a7fd9c4e25a5600

Hi folks,

just upgraded to the latest versions, but it crashes at start of the mission. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

This is a bug that will be fixed soon. In the meantime, please make sure that your commandline uses either the -aa or -fxaa option, not both.

Offline MisterPianoMan

• Lawlessness is within human nature
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hello fellow Terran pilots,

I was replaying all of the FS franchise (because why not?) and came across an error in FS2 Blue. I have downloaded all updates so I have that troubleshoot squared away. The mission, Lion at the Door, leaves your fighter without any weapons and have none in the loadout that can be equipped (so if you open the weapon loadout menu, you won't even be able to start the mission due to Player One not having a single weapon).  Any help would be great.

Thank you all

Hello fellow Terran pilots,

I was replaying all of the FS franchise (because why not?) and came across an error in FS2 Blue. I have downloaded all updates so I have that troubleshoot squared away. The mission, Lion at the Door, leaves your fighter without any weapons and have none in the loadout that can be equipped (so if you open the weapon loadout menu, you won't even be able to start the mission due to Player One not having a single weapon).  Any help would be great.

Thank you all
Known issue.  Try restarting the campaign.  It's a pain that far in, but it seems to have worked for the guy who made that thread. 
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein