Author Topic: TEV  (Read 3199 times)

Only a little question
Why in the UEF it is referred to GTVA as TEV?

Because the UEF wants to distinguish between the Terran members of the GTVA and the Vasudan members. They're not at war with the Vasudans, they're only at war with the Terrans.

If you're asking why "Tev" specifically, probably derives from the "TV" in "GTVA". At least that's my guess.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If you're asking why "Tev" specifically, probably derives from the "TV" in "GTVA". At least that's my guess.

Tev is to the GTVA as Kraut is to Germany.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

For the same reason the Tevs call UEF citizens "Feds", the Gefs call them "Buntu" (which autocorrect tries to turn into "bunny" - where's Axem?) and everyone calls the Gefs "Gefs". It's contextually derogatory (and shorter) slang for the people you're trying to murder :P

They're not at war with the Vasudans, they're only at war with the Terrans.

How is that possible, by the way? Aren't allies supposed to pitch in in each others' wars? And, speaking of the topic at hand, how can it be said that the people the UEF are fighting are the Galactic Terran-Vasudan Alliance, rather than the GTA?

(I can't remember if there's a name for specifically the Terran political faction circa FS2. I recall the Vasudan General Assembly or something being mentioned, so maybe there's a Terran General Assembly...?)

The background info in Blue Planet indicates that the Vasudans think the invasion of Sol is a rather stupid idea and that the whole thing is a Terran-only conflict that they don't need to be involved in. It also indicates that there's a growing gap between the Vasudans and the Terrans since the second game; the two species are still allied and nominally under the same government, but more and more are moving in their own directions and looking out for their own needs. There's no hostility between them, but there's less cooperation.

I'm not entirely sure how the GTVA governmental divisions work, myself. I know the three primary bodies are the General Assembly, the Security Council, and the Vasudan Imperium, but I'm not sure how they interact with each other.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Aesaar

Officially, the UEF is at war with the whole GTVA, including the Vasudans.  But the Vasudans aren't really interested in the war and aren't participating at all (beyond the reactor techs attached to certain Terrran warships) until Steele invites them.

Offline CT27

If the Vasudans were really against the war, why even send that logistics ship?

Offline Aesaar

Because providing logistical support to the war effort is a good way of bringing the Terrans and Vasudans closer together and Khonsu has every reason to want that. 

The Vasudans are not against the war for moral reasons, they just think the Sol Gate was a waste of resources.  The Terrans believe that Sol's industrial capability can make up for the resources spent on the Gate (and if they can win the war while preserving that industrial capability, they're absolutely right.  Sol could double the size of the Terran economy).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 07:49:06 pm by Aesaar »

Offline -Norbert-

I'll just use GTA as a abbreviation of sorts for the Terran part of the GTVA.

Also the longer the war drags on and the more ships and crew the GTA loses, the lower the chances are to defend against a possible Shivan incursion. And I guess having so many assets bound up by the war would also negatively impact the GTVA's ability to police their own systems.

Then there's also the possibility (low as it is) that the GTA could lose the conflict, which would be devastating for morale all throughout the GTA, both military and civilian. Not to mention the political fallout and more likely than not mass riots.

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
I don't really mean to change the subject, but I was thinking "Blue Planet: TEV" would be a terrific title for a mini campaign...

Which would be a great way to explore some of these themes from that side of the war.
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I don't really mean to change the subject, but I was thinking "Blue Planet: TEV" would be a terrific title for a mini campaign...
You're not the first person to have that thought; there was an attempt at a "BP:Tev" that would tell the story of the war from the Tev perspective, but I'm pretty sure it's vaporware now. I think Scotty was involved; he might know more.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.