Author Topic: Advice for optimazing graphics settings for integrated graphis  (Read 1073 times)

Offline cloneof

Advice for optimazing graphics settings for integrated graphis
Hi! A long time Hard Light community enjoyer. Finally, got a proper FS2 proper on Linux with the latest version of Knossos.

I have a laptop I use whilst travelling that has a Vegas 7 and I have been testing it by playing Blue Planet Complete with it. The game has worked surprisingly well with medium graphics settings. There are, however, a few places where the FPS bottlenecks. When a ship gets destroyed, I look at the star in the map and there is a strange artefact with missiles (I have attached a PNG). I would believe these are more the effects part, rather than just my laptop's inability to draw 1280×720 pixels.

Anyone more familiar on how graphics works (which, I assure you, is not a high bar) could give me a hint on what specific settings I should test as they are hard for integrated graphics cards or even turn on/off flags from the Knossos menu.

Thanks for reading my question!

Re: Advice for optimazing graphics settings for integrated graphis
I'm not sure I understand what a Vegas 7 is and neither do I have much experience with Linux gaming. However, artifacts like that are often caused by outdated drivers so the first thing I would do is to make sure I'm using the latest drivers.

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Hi! A long time Hard Light community enjoyer. Finally, got a proper FS2 proper on Linux with the latest version of Knossos.

I have a laptop I use whilst travelling that has a Vegas 7 and I have been testing it by playing Blue Planet Complete with it. The game has worked surprisingly well with medium graphics settings. There are, however, a few places where the FPS bottlenecks. When a ship gets destroyed, I look at the star in the map and there is a strange artefact with missiles (I have attached a PNG). I would believe these are more the effects part, rather than just my laptop's inability to draw 1280×720 pixels.

Anyone more familiar on how graphics works (which, I assure you, is not a high bar) could give me a hint on what specific settings I should test as they are hard for integrated graphics cards or even turn on/off flags from the Knossos menu.

Yes, actually the KnossosNET Launcher (also known as KNet) has a built-in recommended popup for setting graphics to maximize performance :)

If in-game performance is slow, close the game and then try disabling "Extra Multi Sample Anti-Aliasing" and "Shadows".
The next best options to disable are "Deferred Lighting" and then "Post-processing Anti-Aliasing"

Are you uses KnossosNET?

We highly recommend folks switch to using KNet. It is a highly improved launcher, including having orders of magnitude faster loading, better joystick setting, easier option handling, smaller file size, and more 🙂

It also uses the same library folder structure as classic Knossos, so no need to redownload your currently installed mods!

https://github.com/KnossosNET/Knossos.NET/releases

Offline cloneof

Yes, actually the KnossosNET Launcher (also known as KNet) has a built-in recommended popup for setting graphics to maximize performance :)

If in-game performance is slow, close the game and then try disabling "Extra Multi Sample Anti-Aliasing" and "Shadows".
The next best options to disable are "Deferred Lighting" and then "Post-processing Anti-Aliasing"

Are you uses KnossosNET?

We highly recommend folks switch to using KNet. It is a highly improved launcher, including having orders of magnitude faster loading, better joystick setting, easier option handling, smaller file size, and more 🙂

It also uses the same library folder structure as classic Knossos, so no need to redownload your currently installed mods!

https://github.com/KnossosNET/Knossos.NET/releases

A bit late on trying out solutions, but I just tried Knossos.NET and it has solved all my issues. Not only giving a refined UI, but also easy to use graphics options, I have made this integrated graphics laptop able to give me hundreds of FPS in high settings, when the tastier features are turned off.

Thanks a bunch!

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Very happy to hear KNet was useful for getting setup, and you're most welcome!