Author Topic: Several Mods Won't Launch  (Read 446 times)

Several Mods Won't Launch
So while there may be others, the ones that I'm currently having this problem with are Homesick and Shrouding the Light. Trying to launch stuff from Knossos (I replay FreeSpace + mods every couple years; this is my first time running it through Knossos) and when the FSO Settings for these are set to "Mod Default" it gives me "No executable was found for this mod!". If I go in and manually select an FSO build, I get: "Homesick" (1.0.1-0) requires "Freespace Upgrade MediaVPs" which is missing!

I've already tried messing with every setting I can find, and uninstalling/reinstalling the mods, but not having luck.

I was really hoping to play these next, having just finished FS1 and ST:R (trying to go in some semblance of chronological order) so any help in figuring what I'm doing wrong would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Re: Several Mods Won't Launch
Missing MVPS is a pretty well known problem, it's when the mod you're trying to launch for some reason requires an optional package from MVPS that you don't have installed. Go into Details -> Modify of the mod, check all boxes and let it do the downloading. Alternately, see in the Modify menu which MVPS version the mod requires, go into Modify of that version of MVPS and install the additional packages.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

I've done that a few times; the boxes never stay checked after the download and it will always re-download stuff and continue to not work... It's very confusing and frustrating

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
If you haven't already, I suggest you try the updated knossos build in this thread: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=98391.0
With any luck it will give you a more useful information about what the conflict is, there are improved error messages for some situations there.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Updating Knossos fixed the problem! For whatever reason that allowed the "Modify" updates to stick, and now things work. Thank you kindly for the suggestion; hadn't thought to try that one!  :yes: