Author Topic: A diffrent game?  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Fabbro

Have you guys ever thaught of doing this mod for a newer game? I mean the mod is great and that but the engine is definately showing its age, the graphics are dated and the cap ship AI seems a bit eratic. just a thaught

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
There are very few games in this genre that are on par with the Freespace 2 Open Source engine. I don't think moving to another engine would be good idea.

The FS2 engine evolves with the time, because the great coders spend their free time on it. :yes:
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Maybe we have a better FS2 AI in future :D

I think FS2 is the best engine for it, it looks great, (great thx to SCP ;)) and is definately better than other Free Space-Sim Engines like VegaStrike or equivalent.
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Graphicly FSO is one of the best out there. The architecture is so open and easy to work with that there is no real need to change, Plus if i am no mistaken its one of the few non free form mission based space sims left. All the newer engines are all based off freeform in some way, and considering pilots do what there are told in the B5 universe freeform is not the way to go.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Dated??? Showing it's age? Can you please give an example of what programs you are talking about as able to rival SCP?

Chances are they have already had conversions done that look better here than in their original engine...
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Maybe he forgot to turn on the graphic features...
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Fabbro

Originally posted by Getter Robo G
Dated??? Showing it's age? Can you please give an example of what programs you are talking about as able to rival SCP?

Well if you compare this to something like X2 theres a big diffrence. But I see what somone said about modern titles being freeform so maybe its not a good idea, I just liked the idea of seeing your mod with lovely shiny gaphics which are a lot closer to the shows CGI. Well anyway is there som way to improve the AI on the current engine, Because that would be cool.

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
The look of the SCP with all the shiny features turned on does rival the show.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
There is a simple, easy answer to why FS2_Open is the only concievable way to do this.

FRED.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story