Author Topic: Cockpits/Show Ship  (Read 2660 times)

Hi guys,
New to playing Freespace open. I have been enjoying it immensely! This community from the brief glimpses I have caught is simply amazing. To everybody who has made mods or helped the game in any way, a sincere thanks from a new player.

Recently I saw cockpits with ship features visible. My research points me to the "show ship" flag. I have read the Cockpits one stop shopping thread, and I have followed the instruction, but I have not gotten a result. I have a feeling that the problem is my ineptitude for this sort of thing. Would somebody be so kind as to explain it like I'm 5 this show ship feature to me? Thanks so much guys.

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Show Ship is a table flag used to render the ship model around the player. I believe what you actually want is $Cockpit POF file:. This renders an outside model instead of the ship itself, allowing for greater cockpit detail and the use of $Cockpit Display:, found right below $Cockpit POF file: in the ships.tbl wiki.

Here is the thread containing a Cockpit Mod that you can use to add cockpits to ships through $Cockpit POF file:.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Two thumbs up for fightermedic's cockpit mod. I use it on my setup    :yes: :yes:

Thanks for the help guys. I think this is half of what I am looking for. Currently, my view looks like the first image, like fightermedic's mod. What I am shooting for seems to be a mix of both the show-ship flag and the $cockpit.pof, showing both the view from fightermedic's cockpit as well as the ship around it. Is this possible?

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Yes, simply add "show ship" to a ships table flags. The cockpit model gets rendered over the ship.

I believe they used this setup for Diaspora but I could be wrong.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

$Show Ship is kinda redundant and less optimal than $Cockpit POF.  The $Cockpit generates just one rendering entry.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"