Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.4.4 (launcher / mod installer)  (Read 44069 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.4.3 (launcher / mod installer)
I guess I'll worry about the mod display first and then we can see about dealing with the UI above the HTML window.
I think it's easier to code the new UI in HTML than to style the current UI.

So you want to completely remove the qt stuff and do it all in HTML/CSS/JS? Sounds good to me. I'll need some help getting things like the search function, filter function to work.

Is there a way to remove the OS default title bar so we can do something that looks nicer like what I have in the mockups? (Would need to add minimize, maximize, close options.. and I'm not sure about cross platform.)
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Since the OS window wrapper already provides those things, is there a good reason to suppress it?  This is one area where I'm not sure doing it the steam way is really useful to us.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Because it looks nicer? (I think)

In other news...

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I love the Mantis sandbox, create a quick mod that can reproduce a bug, and then have something easily distributed to others to reproduce it right?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I love the Mantis sandbox, create a quick mod that can reproduce a bug, and then have something easily distributed to others to reproduce it right?

Yup!

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I have done that by hand on several occasions, automating that could be a real time saver.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This is still fully functioning. Mouseover events work and everything. I need to do the "available" page which is mostly copying what I just completed. ngld, to go beyond that I'll probably need a little direction from you and/or help with the JS files to get access to the mod properties I need to build the Details pages.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Is "Update List" actually supposed to update what is displayed based on changes you might have made to the drive outside of Knossos?  I thought the update button was going to be a 'check for updates' function, if so "Update List" seems a little confusing to me.  Although if you still plan on replacing most of those buttons with more stylized icons and such, I guess the wording isn't as important.  Unless it will display on a hover event.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I haven't touched that top area because it's not currently done with HTML, so I have no way to touch it. But yeah, I think Update List checks for updates and/or new available mods to download. Might also check for new mods in the Freespace2 directory.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Muahaha IT WORKS.

The CSS is a mess though.. I need to clean it up a bit.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Awesome work; and so quick!  :pimp:

I haven't touched that top area because it's not currently done with HTML, so I have no way to touch it.

I'm pretty sure the rest of the window is configurable in QT Designer; using the ui/hell.ui config file (not that I have a clue about qt-designer I'm afraid, I'll have to read the doco). 
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Hi, here's the log file with my error as requested

Code: [Select]
INFO:MainThread:launcher.main: Running Knossos 0.4.3 on PyQt5.
ERROR:MainThread:launcher.my_excepthook: UNCAUGHT EXCEPTION!
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\packager\Downloads\knossos-release\knossos\__main__.py", line 123, in <module>
  File "C:\Users\packager\Downloads\knossos-release\knossos\launcher.py", line 303, in main
  File "C:\Users\packager\Downloads\knossos-release\knossos\launcher.py", line 150, in load_settings
  File "C:\Users\packager\Downloads\knossos-release\knossos\api.py", line 243, in read_fso_cmdline
  File "C:\Users\packager\Downloads\knossos-release\knossos\api.py", line 232, in get_fso_profile_path
  File "C:\Users\packager\Downloads\knossos-release\tools\win\py-env\lib\genericpath.py", line 19, in exists
TypeError: stat: can't specify None for path argument

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I know I'm repeating myself a bit... but absolutely fantastic work, mjn.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Awesome work; and so quick!  :pimp:

I haven't touched that top area because it's not currently done with HTML, so I have no way to touch it.

I'm pretty sure the rest of the window is configurable in QT Designer; using the ui/hell.ui config file (not that I have a clue about qt-designer I'm afraid, I'll have to read the doco).

I think the idea is to recreate most of that in HTML/JS. So I just need to figure out how the buttons and the search bar are talking to JS from qt and then recreate that in the HTML page. Once I figure that out, I can start to build the rest of the UI... while I learn JS on the fly, I guess.  :lol:

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Muahaha IT WORKS.
Nice! That was quick! :D

ngld, to go beyond that I'll probably need a little direction from you and/or help with the JS files to get access to the mod properties I need to build the Details pages.
I will need to change a few things in Knossos to make that work. I might be able to give you something to work with in a few hours.

Is "Update List" actually supposed to update what is displayed based on changes you might have made to the drive outside of Knossos?  I thought the update button was going to be a 'check for updates' function, if so "Update List" seems a little confusing to me.  Although if you still plan on replacing most of those buttons with more stylized icons and such, I guess the wording isn't as important.  Unless it will display on a hover event.
It does both. It downloads the new list from the Nebula and then checks the mod directories.

[...]

I think the idea is to recreate most of that in HTML/JS. So I just need to figure out how the buttons and the search bar are talking to JS from qt and then recreate that in the HTML page. Once I figure that out, I can start to build the rest of the UI... while I learn JS on the fly, I guess.  :lol:
The buttons and search bar are both calling update_mods(). Switching the tab or triggering a search from JS is not possible, yet. That's one of the changes I have to implement.

@krevett62 and Joshua: I've released 0.4.4 which hopefully fixes the bugs you found.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.4.4 (launcher / mod installer)
I'm obviously motivated... I'll use whatever tools you offer! :)

I installed it, and I'm back to the 0.4.1 problem, this time the program runs but I still cannot choose my FS2 install path, the button does nothing. The other two buttons seem to work (install from gog/install a TC) but that's not what I need ^^

Code: [Select]
INFO:MainThread:launcher.main: Running Knossos 0.4.4 on PyQt5.
INFO:MainThread:_code_cache._create_comtypes_gen_package: Imported existing <module 'comtypes.gen' (<pyimod03_importers.FrozenImporter object at 0x00539230>)>
INFO:MainThread:_code_cache._find_gen_dir: Using writeable comtypes cache directory: 'C:\Users\Steeve\AppData\Local\Temp\comtypes_cache\Knossos-35'
INFO:MainThread:integration.init: Activating Windows integration...
INFO:MainThread:api.get_fso_profile_path: Using profile path "C:\Users\Steeve\AppData\Roaming\HardLightProductions\FreeSpaceOpen\".
INFO:MainThread:api.get_fso_profile_path: Using profile path "C:\Users\Steeve\AppData\Roaming\HardLightProductions\FreeSpaceOpen\".

Nothing special in the log it seems...

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
@krevett62: Can you please go to Settings > Game settings and set your FS2 path there?

Well sorry I looked through the settings and did not see it the first time (although I saw again the option to install from Gog!!)
It works now thanks!

It seems to work properly now, thank you!