Author Topic: HTL Ursa  (Read 32398 times)

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
I'm not falling off the highlights...
Originally posted by MicroPsycho
Have you thought of making the gun barrels hexagonal? Not a regular hexagon but more like a triangle with 'flattened' corners.

i was originaly considering that, but it would add some unnescecary polygons, wich is bad :mad:
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
:doubt: Hardly. A few extra polies in the right place would do much for the gun barrel debate. Unneccesary polies are when you have a field of tiled polygons on a flat surface, or when a curve is defined with 32 segments where 16 would do.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Well, my poiint is that if i did that they'd be preety durn small... i could try it i suppose...
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
The number of polys you'll use making that round will be only slightly higher than the number you've got invested in the gaps at the end right now (I don't think that's worth making geometry for anyway, leave that in textures) and the panel on the outside.  It doesn't have to be more than AT MOST a 12-sided cylinder.

EDIT: And actually, here's a suggestion for a hybrid.  It's a little poly-heavy for a gunmount, but that's one of the more prominent features on an ursa so it might be worth considering.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 11:07:56 pm by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Interesting, and certainly unconventional, but a bit too bold I think. Maybe have those framing brackets thinner, supporting the round barrel but not dominating it?

Or use the triangle as a base and truncate the edges somewhere between these values.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Second one from the top, I say.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

yeah, that one is really good, but i think the original one he HTLed is alright too

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm really liking StratComm's idea myself :)

Offline Nuclear1

Originally posted by Mongoose
I'm really liking StratComm's idea myself :)
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

second from the top

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
I like Stratcomm's idea in general, but I feel like it wastes polys in a way that won't get a good return in the final model.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Make it a detail box subobject ;)

I do agree with you, by the way.  It's a huge investment of polys for relatively little return.  Roughly 300 tris, not counting the block on the back.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
Someone should talk to me about this whole detail box subobject thing. :D

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Is 300 really that big of a deal, though?  What is the acceptable limit for polies on an HTL'ed fighter?  It's a rare time when you see more than four Ursas in any mission (the only time I can remember seeing more was in the penultimate mission of Destiny of Peace for FS1, and possibly in the last mission of ST), so would going a little bit overbudget cause that big of a performance hit?

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
You miss the point. Its not 300 polys pushing the thing over the limits of the engine. Its burning 300 polys for nothing more than fancying up a gun barrel.

Its like paying $300 for a paper back book when you can pay $20 for a hardback. So you've got $10000 in your wallet, but c'mon, $300 for a paperback book? That's just dumb.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Unless he used an alpha-mapped texture to make the triangular frame, which would only use... ((9x3)+7)x3+7=109 polies, triangulated with 9-sided gun barrels. It would need an additional texture map, or the modification of an existing one, but it would be worth the effort.

You could even make the triangular frame extend out slightly further than the end of the barrel, and end up with that slotted gap in the end that's on the current textures. :nod:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 12:08:38 am by 510 »

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by mikhael
You miss the point. Its not 300 polys pushing the thing over the limits of the engine. Its burning 300 polys for nothing more than fancying up a gun barrel.

Its like paying $300 for a paper back book when you can pay $20 for a hardback. So you've got $10000 in your wallet, but c'mon, $300 for a paperback book? That's just dumb.

I disagree. As long as it's all on one texture, polies are almost irrelevant with the HTL engine. Given that the Ursa is probably never going to be deployed all that heavily (ie. no more than 4 or 8 in any given mission at any given time) the increased quality is worth it when you're only talking 300 polies or so (out of a 3000 or so poly budget anyway).
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by mikhael

LOD, LOD, LOD, LOD, LOD, LOD............

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
LODs aren't working right now, if you haven't noticed. For some reason FSO is using LOD0 as LOD1 as well and bumping all the other LODs down. This is resulting in major performace hits for me. :(

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Try reducing your detail level, as I think it's directly tied to that.