Author Topic: High-poly Zephyrus  (Read 12708 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Re: Something that'll never get worked on any further.
This model is 2068 polies. You'll have to excuse the makeshift textures, I don't know what method Raa used on his gas tanks.
Using this method I bet I can get the final Zephyrus under 10k polygons; I figure 2k for each side, a thousand for the bottom tanks, another 2000 for the tanks on the back end, and then all the other miscellaneous greebling I'd like to do on the intakes and engines.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 11:24:50 pm by Galemp »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Re: Something that'll never get worked on any furt
Well........ since I said I wasn't being serious, I didn't optimie the chamferred cyllinders. So yeah, lots o polies there.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 11:55:17 pm by Raa »
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Re: Something that'll never get worked on any furt
this is such a good place for detail boxes I don't think I even need to mention it.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Re: Something that is being worked on further.
Could a mod/admin change the thread title, please.

This is a lotta progress on the tanks, but there's of course much more that could be done with the more generic tiled bits. Working from the concept art, I think I'd like to keep it fairly blocky but with the occasional doodad here and there.

The person with the closest guess to the current polycount wins a prize!

Note: prize is intangible and nonexistant.

"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Is it me, or do all these pictures need better lighting?
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Half you, half your monitor. :p They're definitely visible on my monitor, but a tad brighter wouldn't hurt. ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
Woah. The mouth opening is incredible - I love how you spilt the sides.

yay 300th post but then again I've had 4 years...
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
I like it.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Fluffed up the back. Anything else I should do?

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Is there any detailing on that tripod collar thingy sticking out of he bottom?
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
indeed. that 6 poly spike on the bottom needs real detailing.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
I kinda like it just how it is.

Offline Sheepy

• Raises Hell
  • Mac User
Its true to the concept but it just looks to bland to be assoticated with the rest of the ship in my opinion.
Kiss my Fluffy White Ass!

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
I always found it odd how the sephyrus has such glowy engines.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Meh. Tried something, didn't really work out. I may try a different approach.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
By the look of the concept art, the leg on the bottom there really should be completely rectangular.  The diamond profile from below just doesn't work in my opinion.

Otherwise, I'm mightily impressed.  How many textures are we up to at this point?
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
At the moment, 8, but I'm sure at least one of them is redundant.

Yeah, I'll remodel the bottom fin from scratch, see what turns out.

Offline neoterran

Did this ever get finished ?
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Holy crap. I had stopped working on it and completely forgot how much progress I had made; sure, I came across the folder in my Freespace files and thought "oh, there are those tanks again. I should do something about that sometime."

Well. I'm working on the Ravana right now but I'm sure I'll think of something to do with the end of the fin.

Offline neoterran

Okay Galemp, you're our only hope...
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"