Author Topic: 3.6.8-Gamma media thread  (Read 18266 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: 3.6.8-Gamma media thread
These files should fix the washed out problem with the Arcadia's install01-02 texture that I brought up a few months ago:
http://home.comcast.net/~cp5670/install01-02a.dds
http://home.comcast.net/~cp5670/install01-02b.dds

Also, I would suggest taking another look at the Maxim graphics. Does anyone else find that the new Maxim (and to a lesser extent the Circe as well) looks like crap compared to the original one?

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
Darkload42, you may be thinking of alpha?

Back to topic  :p ...Another odd thing I notice, this time in the existing gamma vps: in mv_effects.vp\maps there are two DDS files: thruster02-03.dds and thruster02-03a.dds .  They are 583x256, and corrupted.  Not only that, there are files of the same name in mv_effects.vp\effects , and yet they look completely different!  :confused:

Anyone know what these are for, or have the originals?

The ones in effects are Lightspeed/Bobboau's effects, but I have never seen the ones in maps before.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
  • Couldn't fix up turret indices in spline path
  • Warning: EFF: No frame images were found.  EFF, fighter2t-01a-glow.eff, is invalid. Possibly change the texture name in the model, since the textures are different?
  • According to taylor, some of the models could use some work.
  • I'm getting extreme slowdowns with the Herc 2, GTFr Triton, GTC Aeolus, and SD Lucifer models...but not so much with the Perseus, Myrmidon, and Fenris models. Is there something fundamentally different about the way they're modelled/mapped that's causing the slowdown?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 08:03:47 pm by WMCoolmon »
-C

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
  • Couldn't fix up turret indices in spline path
Which ship?  I've fixed a bunch of these before but can easily do it again.
  • Warning: EFF: No frame images were found.  EFF, fighter2t-01a-glow.eff, is invalid. Possibly change the texture name in the model, since the textures are different?
If the animated glowmap in mv_adveffects is removed, then the fighter2t-01a-glow.eff file can be removed as well.  This is an artifact only of the EFF used to override that map as it doesn't align properly with the new model, and not a bug with the texture name or the model
  • According to taylor, some of the models could use some work.
    The Herc 2 is the one at fault here, and I'm aware of it.  Max isn't working so I can't do much about it now, but I need to reformat in the near future anyway which will fix the problem.  A list of other models that this is an issue with (aside from it just not being high-poly in the target box) would help, as I'm not sure if anything else falls under the category of incompatible mapping
  • I'm getting extreme slowdowns with the Herc 2, GTFr Triton, GTC Aeolus, and SD Lucifer models...but not so much with the Perseus, Myrmidon, and Fenris models. Is there something fundamentally different about the way they're modelled/mapped that's causing the slowdown?
Maybe the size of the maps.  The Herc 2 map is much larger than it really needs to be especially.  They haven't caused me any issues personally, but you might try downsizing the 2048 maps just to see if that might be causing it.  Otherwise, those ships are mapped as optimally as they can be.
[/list]
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline WMCoolmon

science01.pof (Faustus) is the faulty turret indices ship.

I don't see the point in removing the animated glowmap if there's nothing actually wrong with it...if it's just an 'alignment' issue wouldn't it just be an issue of moving parts of the texture?

I don't think anything has as drastic a mapping change as the Herc 2.

That's odd, I 'spose if it is the maps I'll just have to move the big ones to adveffects.
-C

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
I figured I'd be able to answer all of those questions pretty easily.  The texture thing I'm not sure about, but if your card doesn't support something that large then there may be major issues with downsampling on a per-instance basis (I'll bet the game stores it full-size and downsamples when feeding it to the videocard, which in your case may be happening every frame).  This should actually probably be treated as a bug if it hurts performance that drastically, though I'm no expert on that.  I don't know what to tell you about the Herc 2; I'd say remove it until I have time to fix it if I didn't know that everyone would then post errors about it being missing.  The Faustus though I can definitely fix.  I believe I actually know why we're getting those stupid errors, so I should probably take another look at the Leviafenris too and see if there isn't a pattern.  Am I correct in assuming that it doesn't happen with the retail model?

As for the glowmap, this is my take on it: the old map is useless, as no one in their right mind would use adveffects without mv_models and mv_models disables the glow.  So you can get rid of an ani and the eff, and the error dissapears.  Yes, it could be fixed, and I asked Turambar to do an animated glow when he redid the maps (he hasn't yet).  No, it's not as simple as shifting things around a bit, but it should be close.  I could probably do it if I had the original photoshop file for the glowmaps and had a large enough amount of time to hammer away at it, but 2d art is not my specialty.  But as of right now, it would be easier to base an animated map off of the static glow than to rework the ani to fit the new lines so there's no reason to keep the old animated map around as far as I can see.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 02:53:22 am by StratComm »

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
I think that the Herc2 is the only hi-poly model with a real issue.  The Orion model has a floating turret or something with LOD1.  I haven't looked at exactly what it is all that closely, I just know that you can see it in the hud targetbox.  Also I'm 100% sure which Orion model I'm using (should be the MediaVP one) so give it a check and if it's ok then just ignore me.  I have never seen the Orion issue in the techroom or the lab, only in the targetbox, which is rather strange (is there a special HUD only model?).  Just start up "The Sicilian Defense", target the Vindicator, and look at the hud targetbox model just behind the engines, it should be obvious.

Pretty much every other model is one that is still retail, but with Lightspeed's texture upgrade.  Most of them are fine but some of the models have a new, higher detail, LOD0 texture and the retail LOD1 texture which can look a bit different.   The Dragon is about the only one which has this *really* bad so I've just been waiting for the new hi-poly version.

@WMC:  Check the MVPs you got from me and you should find textures for most of those ships that are already resized (I hate big textures like that for small ships).  You could use mine in the normal VP and put the higher res version on adveffects or something.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
I've seen the floating Orion turret actually.  Ugly, ugly mistake there.  The conversion I did had other issues, but Galemp's has that more obvious problem.  Unfortunately, consulting the lab, the turret isn't actually out of position by default, it's rotating out of position.  Which means I can't do anything about it.

Not sure if this is true for everyone, but it seems that the GVC Aten is missing a shinemap...

I remember seeing an exotic shine to that bar in the previous media vps. This shot was taken in OpenGL, and this effect occurs with mipmapping on or off. I have also noticed that some ships are missing shinemaps as well. I know that these models, including the GVB Bakha, some turrets and containers, were low on the priority list, but I just wanted to verify if there was something missing in the current vps. Thanks.

Offline starfox

That Bakha has very hidious looks, I've had it like that for ages. Was it ever touched by Lightspeed's magic. To me, it's retail to its' worst.
Quite radical, but in my opinion, oh'so true...
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

I agree. I just wanted to make sure that no one else was missing any shine maps or new textures on ships like those. I'm sure every FS1 and FS2 ship, turret, or whatever it may be will get their updated models, maps and textures in the future. But I am having some trouble with the Aten still. That bottom plate just seems to be missing its shine. It used to reflect colors of gold and orange if I remember correctly, and the scales were much sharper. I might have seen this in FSPort, so I am guessing the FSPort vps has a file that the 3.6.8 Media vps don't have. I'll double check in a little bit.

EDIT: The fixed Anuket has not been added anywhere to the new media vps, correct? Just wondering, because I am still getting no thrusters.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 08:32:45 pm by m2258734a »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
bump, any planned release date for this media VP revision?

Offline WMCoolmon

Not really. I'm generally out from 8 am to 11 pm each weekday. So the earliest I can see it getting done is this weekend, motivation pending.
-C

Offline Backslash

Sorry, I know things may be just about done, but I thought I'd bring up an issue/possible improvement.  So Taylor has added the converted DDS textures/effects [:yes: :yes:], but I have a question:  are the already-existing DDS files in mv_effects getting replaced too?

If so, probably disregard the rest of this post  :p ...

I'm just wondering whether the DDS files that are already existing in the Delta mv_effects vp might get overlooked (since they're already DDS).  For example, the planets... as I mention in this post, I figured out a way to increase the quality (less compression artifacts), even with the same format (dxt5).

If this hasn't been done already for the Gamma project, it'd be nice to reconvert the rest of existing DDS files... I volunteer to help do it if it needs doing.  (And it would be even better if we reconverted from the originals, which I'd have to ask for...)  I'd also be glad to postpone this idea until Epsilon if you just want to get Gamma out sooner.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
I apologize for the delay in getting to the problems I was assigned earlier (the spline index, the Moloch) but I'm just getting my main PC back up after a reformat.  I'd like to request the oppertunity to get those fixes in if they haven't been done already by someone else.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Max is back!

HTL Moloch.  I'll get to the Faustus and see what the Orion wants me to do to it in the next couple of days.

EDIT: Link changed as of the last edit timestamp since WeatherOp had a texture change to make.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 11:25:39 am by StratComm »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
OMFGZZZ!! *downloads*
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline WMCoolmon

:bump:

Pretty much everything in the thread has been done, aside from merging some of the other DDS files back into the mediaVPs.

If you created an effect or model or fix and it's not in this thread...it probably won't be in the mediaVPs. So get it in now. :D
-C

Offline Backslash

Well, I'm hoping the DDS stuff has already dealt with this, but if not...

I fixed the files thruster02-03.tga and thruster03-01a.tga to be power-of-two sizes (they were formerly 510x128 and 400x400, respectively).  I also fixed Prometheus_Glow.tga and Vapula_Glow.tga which were both 166x166 (by copying Kayser_Glow.tga which was 256x256).

Zip attached.  Let me know if you need them converted to DDS, and if so which type (DXT1 or, being gradients, perhaps u1555 or u888).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Make sure Sandwich's 'roids have DDS textures, as there's been some complaints about that recently.  Otherwise, I don't have anything ATM.

Oh, and I'm sure you have this but it's not in this thread.  VA's latest iteration of the Leviafenris, here
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 11:57:24 am by StratComm »