Author Topic: BP Tactical Discussion (formerly Warship Inflation)  (Read 97969 times)

Offline Qent

They look dated? :nervous:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The new texture job isn't far off, the new model I'll be doing will be.

The Karuna has actually had some geometry changes already.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
The new texture job isn't far off, the new model I'll be doing will be.

The Karuna has actually had some geometry changes already.
Sure but remember, I'll be making a completely new model, sort of a HTL really.

Absolutely. Their texturing is horrendous and details are non-existent or somewhat poorly done, the Chimera only has little boxes for detail on it, most of the polygons on the Titan are used on the impractically-built fighterbay.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

I think what Mars is on about is that the actual mesh is low detail especially compared to the UEF capships.  I understand that most of the BP improvements are confined to texture upgrades which have done an amazing job in improving the looks but sill has it limits, i wonder what would happen if Stratcomm revisited the mesh on each ship
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Has the Hades been sexed up in that pic? It looks good.

The Chimera and Bell are a little on the low res side of things, but they look great as long as they're dressed up in pretty light. The Titan looks fine. My only beef with it is the fighterbay can't fit an Ursa! :P Not like trying to squeeze in an Elysium sized bomber is easy, but all the same...

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Has the Hades been sexed up in that pic? It looks good.

The Chimera and Bell are a little on the low res side of things, but they look great as long as they're dressed up in pretty light. The Titan looks fine. My only beef with it is the fighterbay can't fit an Ursa! :P Not like trying to squeeze in an Elysium sized bomber is easy, but all the same...

That is the new Hades! I don't know if Hades made the Hades or if someone else did.

Chimera is the best looking of the three, the biggest problem with the Chimera and Bellerophon is the rear "fins."

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
The Hades was made by Vasudan Admiral.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
The Hades looks cool.
It also looks a little lonely being displayed by the same person again.

Offline Darius

Lvlshotted for humanitarian reasons.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Once again, Solaris is as long as Hades, but is by no means as big. Hades is wider, especially at the nose, which makes it bigger than Solaris.
UEF ships are long and composed of a lot of empty space, so while visually impressive, they are similar in actual volume (which, in fact, is what matters here) to GTVA ships.
Sanctus is the exception to this, but it's the armament that classifies it as a Cruiser.

Offline -Sara-

Warship inflation?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4008/4655667549_ccf47b0dc3.jpg

On a serious note, I wonder how many more resources a Sanctus costs compared to GTVA cruisers with similar tactical capabilities. Would there for example be some chance that Sanctus-class cruisers still in construction may be stripped of a lot of it's hull in favour of housing only space for the most nescesary stations?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:32:18 pm by -Sara- »
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Well, I think it's been stated that the Deimos is not nearly as expensive as a Karuna, and they really do have similar tactical capabilities. The Aeolus is supposed to be pretty cheap as well, not sure about the Hyperion.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Seriosuly don't start we'll be at it all day.

= $1, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000

Didn't it say somewhere the Sanctus is a cargo barge? Seems to suggest a lot of it is already empty space.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Sanctus does have cargo hauling capabilities and is stated to be sometimes used to ferry supplies between major military bases IIRC.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yes, in fact, plenty of it's volume is made of torpedo magazines and cargo holds.
That's one of the reasons it's called a Cruiser and not a Corvette (also, UEF didn't bothered inventing a new designation for just one ship class).

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Hmm, that actually makes a lot of sense. Unless corvette is a legacy designation (i.e. pre Great War, and were just never used in FS1) there's no logical reason why the UEF would use the same ship class designations. So while the Karuna may be longer than the Iceni, in GTVA terms it's probaby considered a corvette, as (possibly) is the Sanctus.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I remember it being stated that the Sanctus was all about hauling cargo. Basically a huge transport with military grade defenses.
Well, I think it's been stated that the Deimos is not nearly as expensive as a Karuna, and they really do have similar tactical capabilities. The Aeolus is supposed to be pretty cheap as well, not sure about the Hyperion.
Deimos doesn't have a fighterbay. :nervous:

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
I remember it being stated that the Sanctus was all about hauling cargo. Basically a huge transport with military grade defenses.
Deimos doesn't have a fighterbay. :nervous:

But the Diomedes does and it's pretty much the Karuna's equal. Same hitpoints, more firepower, arguably more capable except for the anti-fighter department and then only slightly. I wonder how much more expensive it is to make one of those monsters than it is to commission a Deimos. I can't get enough of the design too, the asymmetry just it makes it look so uber cool. It's such a total nightmare to face, when I think of how overpowering the Tevs are this is the ship that comes to mind.

When was the Diomedes introduced anyway? Was it in service during AoA? It must have been on the drawing board at least...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It was, there just weren't any with the 14th.

Offline Darius

You'll rarely find them in big fleet actions. Mostly they'll be puttering about on their own.