Author Topic: BP Tactical Discussion (formerly Warship Inflation)  (Read 97812 times)

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Diemos and Diomedes are 2 different ships. o_o But I agree with, Diomedes are scary...

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
You'll rarely find them in big fleet actions. Mostly they'll be puttering about on their own.

How come?

Offline Darius

Being so versatile, one can send them on any mission where a destroyer would be too much (or one is not available) but a base for strikecraft is still required.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
One thing I noticed in WiH is that two Karunas seem to run through whole battle groups strangely easily; far more easily than I would expect with the comparatively small firepower they have, then suddenly one corvette will jump in and take down a Karuna in seconds.

I've even had several times where the Valarie takes out the Indus with pulse cannons. Two Deimos are theoretically at least equal to a Diomedes, so it's kind of a shock that the entire Carthage battlegroup goes down so easily, for instance. I suppose it has more to do with the Uriel than anything else.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Ah, thanks Darius, I got ya.

One thing I noticed in WiH is that two Karunas seem to run through whole battle groups strangely easily; far more easily than I would expect with the comparatively small firepower they have, then suddenly one corvette will jump in and take down a Karuna in seconds.

I've even had several times where the Valarie takes out the Indus with pulse cannons. Two Deimos are theoretically at least equal to a Diomedes, so it's kind of a shock that the entire Carthage battlegroup goes down so easily, for instance. I suppose it has more to do with the Uriel than anything else.

It's down to good drills.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
And armor types. The ships perform as well or worse as plot/mission requires. It's not consistent so that annoys a lot of people, but it's necessary evil for such movie-like campaign.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The use of armor types is pretty consistent on the Karunas though. And no, they don't have small firepower - those torpedoes put out a surprising amount of DPS with their shockwaves (which go right through armor classes.)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
The use of armor types is pretty consistent on the Karunas though. And no, they don't have small firepower - those torpedoes put out a surprising amount of DPS with their shockwaves (which go right through armor classes.)

I had not thought of the shockwaves O_O

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
those torpedoes put out a surprising amount of DPS with their shockwaves (which go right through armor classes.)
Which really is an oversight from development phase of WiH. I never realized until it was too late that shockwaves have different damage type. Can only wonder how things would have turned out if shockwaves had damage types set.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
The campaign would be two missions long? :P

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I think it's fine right now. Make the UEF any weaker and you'd have a even more one-sided campaign, or a short one like Zane said. :lol:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
those torpedoes put out a surprising amount of DPS with their shockwaves (which go right through armor classes.)
Which really is an oversight from development phase of WiH. I never realized until it was too late that shockwaves have different damage type. Can only wonder how things would have turned out if shockwaves had damage types set.

Karunas would still be monstrous.

The notion that the UEF ships are tactically weak is a bit of a mistake. Most of the effort in FRED was spent trying to power them down, not power the GTVA up. They were extremely proficient at knocking all the turrets off GTVA ships and turning fights into one-sided pecking matches.

The Karuna is one of the most tactically flexible Warships I've seen in FS. Incredible range with it's main damage dealers, the Railguns aren't too shabby (plus, we're no strangers to having to have your ship face the target to brings most of its guns to bear,) decent armor, speed, and the ability to carry strike craft. I saw a lot of people wanting to play a capship mission as the GTVA, but I honestly wonder how many of them realize how hard it would be due to how one sided GTVA capship combat really is. If the enemy does something unexpected and gets out of range or your main firing arc, you dont have a lot of options. UEF capships, and especially Karunas, do.

Offtopic, but I keep forgetting to ask, does the Solaris-class have any heavy anti-capital firepower besides Apoc-Spam? I read in the tech entry about turreted Railguns for anti-subsystem, but I never saw them in action, and I may actually be misremembering that tech entry.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It has very fast-firing railgun turrets which have low DPS but are good against subsystems.

Were those the rapid fire salvo turrets with the yellow bolts? I just though those were random PDS guns, since they didn't seem to be able to fire the length of the ship, though the Solaris is a BIG ship.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
There are two kinds of yellow blobs. Ones are same point-defense blobs as in every other UEF capship. The other blobs, fired by those huge multipart turrets are same kind of rounds as fired by Gattler, only with far longer range. 4km if my memory serves.

And I'm assuming that those Gattler Guns are the aforementioned anti-subsytem turrets? If so, then that makes sense.  If not, then it would appear that, for whatever reason, the Toutatis did not use it's railguns during my three playthroughs of Aristeia. Which would sadden me greatly.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I actually dunno what Battuta really meant there. Solaris has no anti-subsystem railguns, or at least didn't have in R1. The gattler turrets are inaccurate and do only quarter subsystem damage. These turrets are saturation weapons, not anti-subsystem weapons.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I actually dunno what Battuta really meant there. Solaris has no anti-subsystem railguns, or at least didn't have in R1. The gattler turrets are inaccurate and do only quarter subsystem damage. These turrets are saturation weapons, not anti-subsystem weapons.

They're still excellent against subsystems, particularly big dish beam emitters. They might not look it on the table level but it's how they perform in-game.

Huh. Alright then, thanks for clearing that up.