Author Topic: BP freezes  (Read 3962 times)

Offline Spider

Hi, I'll post my problem and then some background.  I'm trying to play act 3 of war in heaven.  I have finished AoA and WiH act 1 and 2, then I downloaded the Blue Planet complete installer in the hopes of getting Act 3.  I have been crashing before even started the campaign.  At first I crashed at start up, then I went to download several other things which include: "WINDOWS: http://blueplanet.fsmods.net/BP%20Builds%2014122013.7z", "http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=83606.0 (the second link)"... The fs2_open_3_7_1_SSE2_BP.exe doesn't work for me and crashes instantly but apparently one of the things I downlaoded helped a bit and I manage, with the fs2_open_3_7_0_SSE (the one I used for AoA and WiH act 1-2) to open the game.  I created a new pilot and selected the new campaign and it loaded (but with no background screen) and once loaded I was going into some intro but about 5 seconds in it freezes (music continues to play) and basically if I click then my arrow appears and I am forced to close.  What can I do?

Background: I played a long time ago and recently got back in and decided to use "FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar" to install anything I needed.  I also froze on me but seemed to have done the trick and I was playing again.  I started with FS2 and then Blue planet.  Tried looking at the forums and decided just to ask for help.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

And don't use the FreeSpace Open Installer to install Blue Planet, make sure you use one of the packages linked here in this forum.

Offline Spider

I think this is it.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Code: [Select]
==========================================================================
DEBUG SPEW: No debug_filter.cfg found, so only general, error, and warning
categories can be shown and no debug_filter.cfg info will be saved.
==========================================================================
FreeSpace 2 Open version: 3.7.0.9755
Passed cmdline options:
  -spec_exp 8.2
  -spec_static 3.5
  -spec_point 8.6
  -spec_tube 1.0
  -ambient_factor 70
  -missile_lighting
  -nomotiondebris
  -post_process
  -ship_choice_3d
  -weapon_choice_3d
  -warp_flash
  -mod blueplanet2,blueplanet,mediavps_3612
  -window
  -spec
  -glow
  -env
Deprecated flag '-spec' found. Please remove from your cmdline.
Deprecated flag '-glow' found. Please remove from your cmdline.
Deprecated flag '-env' found. Please remove from your cmdline.
Building file index...
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\adv-bp2.vp' with a checksum of 0x4d6319c8
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\bp2-audio1.vp' with a checksum of 0x4f978a6b
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\bp2-compat.vp' with a checksum of 0x9c7d79f8
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\bp2-core.vp' with a checksum of 0x64e738b9
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\bp2-visuals1.vp' with a checksum of 0xbaa4dbd6
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\bp2-visuals2.vp' with a checksum of 0x9689af32
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\adv-bp.vp' with a checksum of 0x6e9d550d
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\bp-audio1.vp' with a checksum of 0x53c3080c
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\bp-audio2.vp' with a checksum of 0xc9c97c6b
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\bp-compat.vp' with a checksum of 0x6ef45eaf
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\bp-core.vp' with a checksum of 0x16ea6fad
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\bp-visuals1.vp' with a checksum of 0x8c01538d
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\bp-visuals2.vp' with a checksum of 0x6a0a46ec
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\mediavps_3612\MV_AnimGlows.vp' with a checksum of 0x6a554026
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\mediavps_3612\MV_Assets.vp' with a checksum of 0x529cc70f
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\mediavps_3612\MV_Effects.vp' with a checksum of 0xb9a9a485
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\mediavps_3612\MV_Music.vp' with a checksum of 0xb3e21469
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\mediavps_3612\MV_RadarIcons.vp' with a checksum of 0x31dd7781
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\mediavps_3612\MV_Root.3612.vp' with a checksum of 0x7c9d7e74
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\mediavps_3612\MV_Root.vp' with a checksum of 0x6ffd5c78
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\multi-mission-pack.vp' with a checksum of 0x377695e0
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\multi-voice-pack.vp' with a checksum of 0xd50e7442
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\root_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0xce10d76c
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\smarty_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0xddeb3b1e
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\sparky_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0x164fe65a
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\sparky_hi_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0xa11d56f1
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\stu_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0xd77da83a
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\tango1_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0x4c25221e
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\tango2_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0x86920b82
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\tango3_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0x705e8d71
Found root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\warble_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0xd85c305d
Searching root 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\' ... 2 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\adv-bp2.vp' ... 33 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\bp2-audio1.vp' ... 243 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\bp2-compat.vp' ... 1 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\bp2-core.vp' ... 92 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\bp2-visuals1.vp' ... 682 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\bp2-visuals2.vp' ... 2480 files
Searching root 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\' ... 0 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\adv-bp.vp' ... 358 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\bp-audio1.vp' ... 41 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\bp-audio2.vp' ... 683 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\bp-compat.vp' ... 1 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\bp-core.vp' ... 47 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\bp-visuals1.vp' ... 400 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\blueplanet\bp-visuals2.vp' ... 1561 files
Searching root 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\mediavps_3612\' ... 150 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\mediavps_3612\MV_AnimGlows.vp' ... 1641 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\mediavps_3612\MV_Assets.vp' ... 1527 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\mediavps_3612\MV_Effects.vp' ... 1876 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\mediavps_3612\MV_Music.vp' ... 32 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\mediavps_3612\MV_RadarIcons.vp' ... 24 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\mediavps_3612\MV_Root.3612.vp' ... 13 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\mediavps_3612\MV_Root.vp' ... 94 files
Searching root 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\' ... 15 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\multi-mission-pack.vp' ... 110 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\multi-voice-pack.vp' ... 307 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\root_fs2.vp' ... 157 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\smarty_fs2.vp' ... 10 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\sparky_fs2.vp' ... 3027 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\sparky_hi_fs2.vp' ... 1337 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\stu_fs2.vp' ... 2355 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\tango1_fs2.vp' ... 32 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\tango2_fs2.vp' ... 15 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\tango3_fs2.vp' ... 10 files
Searching root pack 'C:\Games\FreeSpace2\warble_fs2.vp' ... 52 files
Found 35 roots and 19408 files.
ERROR: Unknown Language Checksum: -1162327434
Using default language settings...
Setting language to English
TBM  =>  Starting parse of 'mv_core-lcl.tbm' ...
Initializing OpenAL...
  OpenAL Vendor     : Creative Labs Inc.
  OpenAL Renderer   : Software
  OpenAL Version    : 1.1

Found extension "ALC_EXT_EFX".

Sample rate: 44100 (44100)
  EFX version: 1.0
  Max auxiliary sends: 1
  Playback device: Generic Software on Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
  Capture device: Microphone (Realtek High Defini
... OpenAL successfully initialized!
Initializing OpenGL graphics device at 1366x768 with 32-bit color...
  Initializing WGL...
  Requested WGL Video values = R: 8, G: 8, B: 8, depth: 24, stencil: 8, double-buffer: 1
  Actual WGL Video values    = R: 8, G: 8, B: 8, depth: 24, stencil: 8, double-buffer: 1
  OpenGL Vendor    : Intel
  OpenGL Renderer  : Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
  OpenGL Version   : 3.1.0 - Build 9.17.10.3347

blah blah blah

BMPMAN: Found EFF (explode1.eff) with 43 frames at 25 fps.
BMPMAN: Found EFF (PWmuzzle.eff) with 4 frames at 30 fps.
BMPMAN: Found EFF (Gmuzzle.eff) with 5 frames at 30 fps.
BMPMAN: Found EFF (Bmuzzle.eff) with 5 frames at 30 fps.
BMPMAN: Found EFF (Cmuzzle.eff) with 4 frames at 30 fps.
BMPMAN: Found EFF (Rmuzzle.eff) with 4 frames at 30 fps.
Paging in mission messages
Stopping model page in...
ANI support1.ani with size 108x24 (25.0% wasted)
ANI damage1.ani with size 148x25 (21.9% wasted)
ANI wingman1.ani with size 71x53 (17.2% wasted)
ANI wingman2.ani with size 35x53 (17.2% wasted)
ANI wingman3.ani with size 14x53 (17.2% wasted)
ANI toggle1.ani with size 57x20 (37.5% wasted)
ANI head1.ani with size 164x132 (48.4% wasted)
ANI weapons1.ani with size 126x20 (37.5% wasted)
ANI weapons1_b.ani with size 150x20 (37.5% wasted)
ANI objective1.ani with size 149x21 (34.4% wasted)
ANI energy1.ani with size 12x41 (35.9% wasted)
ANI targetview1.ani with size 137x156 (39.1% wasted)
ANI targetview2.ani with size 4x96 (25.0% wasted)
ANI targetview3.ani with size 7x20 (37.5% wasted)
ANI 2_radar1.ani with size 209x170 (33.6% wasted)
ANI 2_energy2.ani with size 86x96 (25.0% wasted)
ANI 2_reticle1.ani with size 40x24 (25.0% wasted)
ANI targhit1.ani with size 31x21 (34.4% wasted)
ANI 2_leftarc.ani with size 103x252 (1.6% wasted)
ANI 2_rightarc1.ani with size 103x252 (1.6% wasted)
ANI 2_toparc2.ani with size 35x24 (25.0% wasted)
ANI 2_toparc3.ani with size 41x29 (9.4% wasted)
ANI netlag1.ani with size 29x30 (6.3% wasted)
ANI 2_lead1.ani with size 26x26 (18.8% wasted)
ANI 2_lock1.ani with size 56x53 (17.2% wasted)
ANI 2_lockspin.ani with size 100x100 (21.9% wasted)
ANI time1.ani with size 47x23 (28.1% wasted)
Malloc failed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ERROR: Malloc Failed!

File: windebug.cpp
Line: 1794
Freeing all existing models...

Delete the adv_ VPs and make sure you have all the .3612 patches for the MediaVPs. Your GPU is a bit out of date.

Offline Spider

Delete the adv_ VPs and make sure you have all the .3612 patches for the MediaVPs. Your GPU is a bit out of date.

So I removed the adv_ from blue planet and blue planet 2, I downloaded the media .3612 (none of the optional ones) and then I added the new folder to the game.  I managed to get the cutscene going, ships were battling and then it froze again, right when a cruiser was warpping in.  Here is the fs2_open.log.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Unfortunately FSO can have some issues with Intel video cards.  You could try using either of these launcher flags (under advanced -> troubleshooting) & see if they resolve the issue:

-no_glsl (Disable GLSL (Shader) support)
-disable_glsl_model (Don't use shaders for model rendering)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Definitely do that. Also try grabbing a recent nightly build and making a new pilot file, in case it's some kind of pilot corruption problem.

Offline Spider

Unfortunately FSO can have some issues with Intel video cards.  You could try using either of these launcher flags (under advanced -> troubleshooting) & see if they resolve the issue:

-no_glsl (Disable GLSL (Shader) support)
-disable_glsl_model (Don't use shaders for model rendering)

First thing I did was check both of these and now I finished the opening sequence.  I started the following mission and it loaded, I quit because I don't have time but just wanted to say it seems to be working, so thanks for the help!

EDIT:  I forgot to mention, I am playing on a laptop and I have a video card on it but I can't seem to activate it.  Should I care about trying to get it going?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:28:19 pm by Spider »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
EDIT:  I forgot to mention, I am playing on a laptop and I have a video card on it but I can't seem to activate it.  Should I care about trying to get it going?

I'd recommend yes, you will have less problems (and nicer graphics :)) if FSO is using your nVidia or AMD card. I think you need to use the control panel to "select/mark" the FSO executables as needing to use your video card. I don't have one of these setups myself, but if you run into problems, just post what sort of card you have and I'm sure someone else around here with the same card will be able to offer suggestions.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Spider

I'd recommend yes, you will have less problems (and nicer graphics :)) if FSO is using your nVidia or AMD card. I think you need to use the control panel to "select/mark" the FSO executables as needing to use your video card. I don't have one of these setups myself, but if you run into problems, just post what sort of card you have and I'm sure someone else around here with the same card will be able to offer suggestions.

Welp, I tried it and it seems to be utilizing the graphics card but I see no difference in graphics...do I need to download the optional mediavps?  Maybe put back in the adv_ vps in blue planet?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Using the graphics card will buy you a better framerate, but to actually make things look better you'll need to turn off the -no_glsl and -disable_glsl_model switches.

Offline Spider

I see, well there goes that i guess.  Well then, how about this, my hud looks weird now.  I thought it was just maybe act 3 so I decided to start act 1 and yup, the hud has changed.  The main difference is I have small windows and now speech text plus avatars appear over my radar, they use to appear on the top left.  Is there a way to get it back to like I had it before?

EDIT: Welp, now that I am using the graphics card I decided to put everything back.  I put the adv_ vp back in blue planet, I unchecked the 2 troubleshooting things, but I kept the new media vps cuz I thought those might have contributed to fixing everything, and now I can do the opening scene with no problems, no more freezing.  It seems like a major fix was the graphics card.  Still, the hud isn't what it use to be, any way to get it how it was before?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 11:10:27 pm by Spider »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
No, we moved the message text and preview box over the radar to improve readability until we get voice acting. There's no way to change it back without breaking the Act 3 missions.

Offline Spider

No, we moved the message text and preview box over the radar to improve readability until we get voice acting. There's no way to change it back without breaking the Act 3 missions.

It also appears in act 1, before it didn't, did the blue planet complete installer switch this around?  Like some retroactive update?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
All of Blue Planet 2 operates under the same HUD rules - Act 3 is just another campaign within the same mod. When we updated the HUD for the Tenebra release, it applied to the entirety of BP2.

Offline Spider

All of Blue Planet 2 operates under the same HUD rules - Act 3 is just another campaign within the same mod. When we updated the HUD for the Tenebra release, it applied to the entirety of BP2.

Ah, okay.  Well, seems like everything is working smoothly, thanks for the help!