Author Topic: Lore question: Transhumanism  (Read 3819 times)

Lore question: Transhumanism
Hello everybody, I would have a question for the creators of the blue planet setting:

The gaian effort is described as a "transhumanist movement". We even have characters in the campaign referring to Kostadin cell as "an extremist transhumanist cell" and to Greenfly cell as a "moderate transhumanist cell". If you complete "one future" by sparing the asteroid's inhabitants, you even meet an "engineered" human child in the dreamscape, with a fedayeen operator saying that the girl has been "enhanced" through genetic experimentation.

Out of a personal curiosity, I would like to know: just exactly how different are gaian humans compared to "vanilla" homo sapiens? Have all of them been genetically engineered, or are "enhanced" individuals still a rarity? Also, is there any difference between the various cells in terms of genetic engineering?

Thanks in advance for the reply!

Re: Lore question: Transhumanism
It would be funny if they became the Borg and started assimilating both sides. :shaking:

Offline -Norbert-

I'd also be interested how the stance of the GTVA Terrans and Vasudans and the other parts of the UEF are on this matter.

Is any of the factions opposed to enhancements through genetic engineering and/or implants (other than those necessary for medical reasons of course)?

I'd also be interested how the stance of the GTVA Terrans and Vasudans and the other parts of the UEF are on this matter.

Is any of the factions opposed to enhancements through genetic engineering and/or implants (other than those necessary for medical reasons of course)?

That's another very interesting point. The GEF is considered by the elders as something of an "anti-extinction backup" in case the shivans do manage to annihilate both earth and the GTVA, but what if they have distanced themselves too far from humanity with their experimentations? It also brings us to another question: if they really have modified themselves a lot, maybe more radical elements in either the UEF or GTVA don't consider them human at all, giving them enough moral justification to brutally murder/torture/kill gefs if it is convenient.

I recall having considered that issue when first faced with the moral issue of shooting a hapless gef pilot in her space suit.

Spoiler: I usually execute the gef since I see Laporte's morality as always sliding towards more brutal actions if they serve a higher purpose, but still, maybe the character itself doesn't/wouldn't consider said gef pilot a human being to begin with...

To be more than human, is to be human.

I don't really think that the humanity (or not) of the GEFs makes much of a difference on either the UEF or GTVA going to war with them. Humans have made it abundantly clear that it is possible for them to war against aliens (Vasudans/Shivans) or other humans. They have also made it clear that they are capable of at least limited coexistence with both aliens (Vasudans/Vishnans) and other humans.

Otherness may be an obstacle to peace, but it isn't insurmountable. The degree of otherness the transhuman movement has engendered is probably less important than you might think.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 03:38:01 pm by Rheavatarin »

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Probably both the UEF and GTA have some augmentation going on, but not as much as the GEF. They have to survive on some very inhospitable comets, they're likely hardened to radiation in some way, may have the ability to hibernate and probably have other augmentations that would more or less be required to live in such places.

Its kinda hard to get much information about them due to the fact this is a fighter sim rather than an RPG like mass effect where we can land and go around asking them. Borg jokes aside, they could be Eclipse Phase level of transhumanism(Infomorphs-people who have uploaded their minds, full body cyborgs, radically genetically engineered bodies)  or merely just Khan from Star Trek.

merely just Khan from Star Trek.

"Merely" XD Khan and co were pretty highly modified if memory serves. Also biological or mechanical augmentation? Or both? Most games let you have one or the other for balance' sake.

And where do the Shivans fit into this, considering they appear to have been severely modified at some point (according to the tech room description)?

And where do the Shivans fit into this, considering they appear to have been severely modified at some point (according to the tech room description)?

well, at least in Blue Planet continuity, every single cell of a shivan organism is a microprocessor capable of its own independent computation  :eek2:

"Merely" XD Khan and co were pretty highly modified if memory serves. Also biological or mechanical augmentation? Or both? Most games let you have one or the other for balance' sake.

Well  Khan was comic book superstrong and smart but he looked perfectly human and thats about it. Its not exactly Cyber or Biopunk levels.

This is true. Regenerating damage (well, much faster than your average Joe) would have been of benefit to him! I'd say that should be of primary importance where genetic modification is concerned...

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

Being that real life is not balanced, and that Blue Planet tries to closely model real life where it is at all possible, and that this particular dichotomy does not impact the game as it is played and balanced, I'd be inclined to say that the answer to "which" is simply "yes".

Weird thing is, despite that Kostadin Cell's description as 'extreme transhumanists', they are actually bio-conservatives, most of them baseline humans according to Greenfly Girl.

In regards toward modification of Gef members, it would be geared toward 3d spatial awareness, O2 reserves, zero-g adaptations, and limited resistance against vacuum exposure. Some of them, i think, wouldn't be even able to interbreed with flats.

Alright, thank you all for the input. Much appreciated!