Author Topic: Hi-poly Karnak  (Read 40760 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Download link, if you're lazy.)

I dredged it up and gave it a once over. Still has some work to be done but here's what there is so far.

I've put in some piping on the inside of these access tunnels and intend to do more on the inside of the reactor chamber.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 07:28:01 pm by Galemp »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Great stuff!  :yes:

Cardinal Spear will look great with this addition!
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Spiffy new textures and a whole lot more polys.

"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
How many polys is she up to?  It really looks wonderful.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:yes:

But what is the pipe texture doing on the fighterbay?

Offline freespaceking

• Prussian Military Dude
that looks great could i have those textures so i can make normals.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Normals are already done. :)

edit: Good grief, how many of those projects are you actually contributing to?  :shaking:

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Flat turrets and multipart turrets.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Reactor chamber is greebled, though mysteriously lacking a reactor...

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Well, principal modeling and POF conversion is done BUT there's a mysterious bug I've submitted to the SCP to take care of relating to impact explosion effects.

In the meantime here's the model and upgraded textures for y'all to play with. Let me know if there's anything that can be fixed.
http://pjfoliver.googlepages.com/karnak-buggy.7z

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Very, very cool. :yes:

Did you change the dimensions of the reactor at all?  It looks like the cylinders on the top and bottom are longer than they were in the original.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
The proportions are a little off, but overall it's the same size.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Alright, given feedback from Vasudan Admiral I made new debris, fixed a hole, renovated the fighterbays, and optimized the geometry saving about 5,000 polies.

Sadly I still don't know why I have those ultrahuge impact explosions on my system though it doesn't seem to happen anywhere else... even when I flush my IBX cache. If anyone else has a problem let me know, otherwise this should be the final POF.

Get the maps and reactor from the previous post, this only has karnak.pof

http://pjfoliver.googlepages.com/karnak.zip

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
I'm still working on this. It's virtually all UV mapped but there's much left to do-- the multipart turret barrel textures need to be drawn, the new uv needs shine/glow/normal maps compiled, I have to export the whole bloody thing again, then make LODs for the reactor and export that.

Eventually I'll use this map for the Shah Pylon and Shah Extension which will be nice. But first things first.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Well! We're all set with the main Karnak model. Looks and performance are well above average. :D
Now I just need to make a new reactor to take advantage of the new UV map and we'll be done.

Download the UV mapped Karnak

Now, the question is... should I post this in the public forum?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:jaw: :jaw: :jaw: Gorgeous! :yes:

I was just going to say that I would post it in the public forum if it weren't a major spoiler. :)

Why not fire up Cardinal Spear and get a screenie from the Karnak mission that started it all?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
heh heh heh heh heh...

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
W00t! First outside post! What's the reactor look like now?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
The same. Just checked.
This is glorious...pity the tunnel from the hangar doesn't extend the whole way around... oh well.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Amazing!  How'd I miss this thread?

The model has a couple of collision detection errors though...

EDIT: Was this thread originally only FSPort internal?

Yep. :D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 09:06:32 pm by Galemp »