Author Topic: No (Star Control Reboot)  (Read 4561 times)

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Re: No (Star Control Reboot)
BloodEagle:

As for me: Aww yiss! I hope they succeed at getting the original peeps onboard, at least Paul Reiche III.

Plus, Spoon will have a source of extra... "ideas" for the Hertak. :L

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
 :(  Stardock seem to be a pretty good dev company, but it means it most likely won't be released for Linux (or OSX).  Boo.  :(
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I am not yet ready to panic.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Lorric

DO NOT WANT

Why so pessimistic? You don't have to buy it. It might come good if they're scooping up the people who made Star Control 2.

Offline newman

Two possibilities. It will either be bad, or good. If it's bad, the original StarControl games won't suddenly get erased from existence. If it's good, we'll get something new in that excellent franchise. I don't see what do we have to lose here to inspire such negative reactions. At worst it'll be something to ignore, not like there's a new Star Control game being made every year and this will somehow spoil it.. For me even the possibility of a good new Star Control game is good news.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
You're right of course, my unhappiness is more the fear that the game *will* be good, but I'll have to jump through many hoops in order to play it (i.e. WINE for both the stardock delivery app & the game itself)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Noooooooooowait. Stardock is doing it?

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES. After they managed to make GalCiv2 funny (one of my most favouritest games of all time) I am heartily buying this.
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
At least they aren't going to turn it into a FPS like that 'syndicate reboot'... right?  :nervous: RIGHT?

Same.
yet
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
At least they aren't going to turn it into a FPS like that 'syndicate reboot'... right?  :nervous: RIGHT?

Same.
yet
Stardock didn't even publish/dev the Syndicate reboot you giant farce, how is that relevant?
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Stardock didn't even publish/dev the Syndicate reboot you giant farce, how is that relevant?

Try turning on your brain. JUST FOR ONCE.

HADES. ANSWER ME.
WHAT IS A MAN.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq

Try turning on your brain. JUST FOR ONCE.

HADES. ANSWER ME.
WHAT IS A MAN.
the wild hippopotamus in the plains of russia
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
the wild hippopotamus in the plains of russia
As expected from my pupil. An excellent answer.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
DO NOT WANT

Why so pessimistic? You don't have to buy it. It might come good if they're scooping up the people who made Star Control 2.

I might be displaying my distaste a little early, but History has shown that these things tend to be bad (in my humble opinion) more often than not.

And I subscribe to the school of thought that a <book / game / movie / thing> can be harmed overall by additional works.  I'm usually pretty good about ignoring these -- but this is not always the case.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Besides, you want to really panic about the Wargaming ownership of both GPG and the Total Annihilation IP.

Or the fact MoO is now in play again.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

It's worth noting that all content of the Star Control games is still property of Toys For Bob.  The only thing they bought was the name.

Offline dukka

• literally terrible
    • Steam
DO NOT WANT

Brad Wardell is a pretty ample excuse for any and all pessimism.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
DO NOT WANT

I might be displaying my distaste a little early, but History has shown that these things tend to be bad (in my humble opinion) more often than not.

And I subscribe to the school of thought that a <book / game / movie / thing> can be harmed overall by additional works.  I'm usually pretty good about ignoring these -- but this is not always the case.
Star Control III is widely regarded as a travesty; doesn't stop people from enjoying the first two games.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
Is it just me, or are there a lot of remakes/reboots announced nowadays? X-Com, Homeworld, and now another Star Control. I wonder if it will be more of a strategy game like SC1 or more exploration oriented like SC2.

Offline Luis Dias

It will be basically Mass Effect.