Author Topic: FSDoc Updates/Suggestions  (Read 174725 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: FSDoc Updates/Suggestions
Don't make me purge this thing again people, read the Veteran Comments policy!
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Just a heads up, skelkwank.bluescalie.net is dead, thanks to Japanese squatters, but I have reuploaded the site to http://skelkwank.muddytoe.net/  So if there are links to the old site around, this new address will replace it.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!

I think I've found some inconsistency. The wiki says that the UEC Sanctus's manufacturer were Han-Ronald Corp. but that's wrong, Han-Ronald are GTA/GTVA manufacturers.
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

I think I've found some inconsistency. The wiki says that the UEC Sanctus's manufacturer were Han-Ronald Corp. but that's wrong, Han-Ronald are GTA/GTVA manufacturers.

The UEF postdates the GTA in Sol and developed from it. Han-Ronald persisted as a corporate entity there, in much the same way that Volkswagen outlasted the Nazi Party in Germany.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
The UEF postdates the GTA...

Bit too much Supreme Commander lately? ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The UEF postdates the GTA...

Bit too much Supreme Commander lately? ;)

Out of the loop a bit lately? ;)

Shares a name but not much else. Ask Darius.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Fascinating. UEF seems to date back to at least 1999 as part of a future Cthulhu RPG. Can't say if Darius' creature was an homage to any other instance or a case of parallel evolution.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Ah, I assumed you were referring to "UEC" from "Deadly in a Shadow"'s post. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Ah, I assumed you were referring to "UEC" from "Deadly in a Shadow"'s post. :)

UEC = United Earth Cruiser, a cruiser in the service of the United Earth Federation, as GTC is a cruiser in the service of the Galactic Terran What-Have-You.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
When adding new external links, the 'bot-proof arithmetic check' shows "Failed to parse (Missing texvc executable; please see math/README to configure.):" in place of the correct text

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Dude, we have Chinese spambots all over the place now.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
They've created user talk pages like this one:

And then there are [LINK] individuals who appreciate LV bags, and have found out a bag that

is as a good offer [LINK] as 30 many years of age that is nonetheless in high quality shape.

Well, at least they aren't editing articles in the main space.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:26:48 am by TopAce »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Shade

We're nuking them when we see them. Also, whenever they're spotted, feel free to blank or (in case of existing pages) revert any pages they create until one of the admins deletes it.

Further, the main page is currently under full protection (admin-only editing), as that was the target several times before this user talk page attack started, so at least no immediately obvious vandalism should happen.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
What's the use of blanking if they get deleted soon?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Shade

Nothing much, on our end. It does keep the bots from achieving their goal, though.

While annoying, the whole "creating page with lots of links" thing isn't for our benefit. Is is, essentially, a google bomb. It's done to present google's spider (and those of other search engines) with extra links to the page in question in order to improve their placement in search results, and as such, if the page is blanked before a search engine's spider sees the page, the bot has failed. Otherwise, it has succeeded, even if we later delete the page.

So really, it's just the part of me that doesn't want malicious bots achieving their goal that suggests blanking it. It makes little difference for members of HLP.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I think we may need new Captchas unless they're getting through by flesh and blood spammers.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Considering that the only reason to log in to the Wiki is to edit it, perhaps the captcha should be based off something only known to someone who played FS. A few examples could be:

- What star went supernova in FS2? (Capella)
- What planet was cut off from the rest of the galaxy in FS1? (Earth)
- What is the player's designation in both games? (Alpha 1)
- What is the equivalent of "hyperspace" in the FS universe? (Subspace)
- What is the last name of the leader of the anti-alien faction in FS2? (Bosch)

Etc. Basically, the idea being that the answer is not available whatsoever on the page, yet would be readily available online with a slight amount of digging, or immediately for any FS fans.

Offline Shade

That's a very good idea actually. I'm all for this.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
However whoever implements it, make sure that it's capitalization-agnostic, and if possible, allow for more than one right answer (Alpha 1 / Alpha One).

Offline Shade

Could just make it a multiple-choice quiz. Given, say, 6 choices per question, and 5 questions (those being the ones you came up with), that's over 7000 permutations. Admittedly a bot might get it right once in a blue moon if they hammer it hard enough, but I think we could live with that.