Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 588932 times)

Offline Aesaar

Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
IIRC it was something to the tune of $350k.  Like Phantom said, Bootcha wasn't a backer, he was an actual investor who expect a financial return.  He helped organise and appeared on a few of the earlier streams too.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That whole (as yet unfinished) series is definitely worth a watch.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Watched it all yesterday, can confirm.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Learning that Crobbers became a used rental car salesman to suck up to Hollywood execs really puts those puzzle pieces together. It's almost as if he's only in it for the money.

I assume CiG's customer support did not approve this guy's $350,000 refund request.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

Especially for the Freespace and HLP shoutouts. It's not completely surprising that you can't have any discussion of space sims without mentioning the one that is critically acclaimed as the best of the genre but it's still nice to see we weren't forgotten.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Aesaar

I assume CiG's customer support did not approve this guy's $350,000 refund request.
He got it back.  Because it wasn't a refund request but rather a termination of the contract he had with CIG.

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel

Especially for the Freespace and HLP shoutouts. It's not completely surprising that you can't have any discussion of space sims without mentioning the one that is critically acclaimed as the best of the genre but it's still nice to see we weren't forgotten.

Out of context I thought that was about me (there goes my ego)  :lol:

I guess I need to watch that since I'm pretty sure I read the guy's original posts about it and his guide to getting a refund from CiG.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline MikeRoz

Learning that Crobbers became a used rental car salesman to suck up to Hollywood execs really puts those puzzle pieces together.
This place loves to mock people who believe without evidence Star Citizen will ever come out, but says nothing about people that believe things like this without evidence. Sad.

I suppose you guys think he's an art forger too?

If you're going off this link publicized by Derek Smart, then I should point out that a Redditor was able to add and edit the information without any verification whatsoever. Totally inconceivable that a Goon would create that entry, right?

Seems incredibly unlikely to me that the sole record of Chris Roberts's automotive empire is a site called 'freecarsonline.com' which doesn't even seem to exist anymore, and looks like one of those clickbait content-scraping sites in archives.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 03:20:23 pm by MikeRoz »
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Learning that Crobbers became a used rental car salesman to suck up to Hollywood execs really puts those puzzle pieces together.
This place loves to mock people who believe without evidence Star Citizen will ever come out, but says nothing about people that believe things like this without evidence. Sad.
The 'evidence' was in one of those sunk cost galaxy vids. And it was said to take it with a grain of salt.
I personally just like to believe it's true because it's funnier that way.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 03:45:58 pm by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

Online Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Today our little SC thread here on HLP turns 2 years old.*partyhat*

For a chuckle, go re-read the first page and marvel at the fact that basically nothing has changed since back then. Both Derek and Crobbers are still masters of overpromising and underdelivering, one regarding the ELE and the other the BDSSE (or even anything resembling a game).

Jesus patch 3.0 still MIA

Quoting myself here as we celebrate the 3rd year since the great July blogTM.

Great things that happened since last year:

- Jesus patch 3.0 was released, performance is still **** -> But fret not, the new Jesus patch 3.1 3.2 3.3 will make everything great again
- The mythical SQ42 vertical slice was finally shown -> PC gaming is truly saved, Goons/detractors thoroughly owned
- Ben Lesnick, Developer, Master of Ships; moved upstate to work from home
- New powerwords: Bind Culling, Object Container Streaming, Tier 0 implementation
- Funding sits currently at 189M$, yet all deliverables are massively delayed -> It's ok, Chris absolves himself of that issue https://youtu.be/AMPTD3Dr4gE?t=3375

Overall score: Star Citizen is good -> buy an Idris!

"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Not to forget: Digital Extremes announced a new addition to Warframe: A large ship that players can pilot, with player-manned turrets and crew positions, ship-to-ship actions including boarding parties.....

So now we have not only ED being more complete than SC will ever be, now Warframe is invading its space while SC still hasn't figured out how their ingame economy is supposed to work.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

Today our little SC thread here on HLP turns 2 years old.*partyhat*

For a chuckle, go re-read the first page and marvel at the fact that basically nothing has changed since back then. Both Derek and Crobbers are still masters of overpromising and underdelivering, one regarding the ELE and the other the BDSSE (or even anything resembling a game).

Jesus patch 3.0 still MIA

Quoting myself here as we celebrate the 3rd year since the great July blogTM.

Not to forget: Digital Extremes announced a new addition to Warframe: A large ship that players can pilot, with player-manned turrets and crew positions, ship-to-ship actions including boarding parties.....

So now we have not only ED being more complete than SC will ever be, now Warframe is invading its space while SC still hasn't figured out how their ingame economy is supposed to work.
I bought the call of dooty infinite warfare on sale a while back, and everything about that game is just literally what croberts would like SQ42 to be. (I'm personally not super enjoying the game myself, but I find it a fasinating dive into crobert's dreams)
I'd imagine seeing ED and WF making Croberts' dreams a reality before he himself can, makes everyone at RSI/CGI sweat a bit more.

Great things that happened since last year:

- Jesus patch 3.0 was released, performance is still **** -> But fret not, the new Jesus patch 3.1 3.2 3.3 will make everything great again
- The mythical SQ42 vertical slice was finally shown -> PC gaming is truly saved, Goons/detractors thoroughly owned
- Ben Lesnick, Developer, Master of Ships; moved upstate to work from home
- New powerwords: Bind Culling, Object Container Streaming, Tier 0 implementation
- Funding sits currently at 189M$, yet all deliverables are massively delayed -> It's ok, Chris absolves himself of that issue https://youtu.be/AMPTD3Dr4gE?t=3375

Overall score: Star Citizen is good -> buy an Idris!
This is all good for Star Citizen, and Star Citizen is good.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I bought the call of dooty infinite warfare on sale a while back, and everything about that game is just literally what croberts would like SQ42 to be. (I'm personally not super enjoying the game myself, but I find it a fasinating dive into crobert's dreams)
I'd imagine seeing ED and WF making Croberts' dreams a reality before he himself can, makes everyone at RSI/CGI sweat a bit more.

Same, started today. It really is a somewhat complete representation of what Squadron 42 could be (including somewhat random actor cameos; While it's perhaps not exactly surprising to see/hear Claudia Black in a game these days, when Tigris Actual came on the comms and was actually Claudia Christian, I was very surprised). Of course, it's still a callodoody, so manshooting is what the game is all about with the flying sequences being the little gameplay departures sprinkled in for variety, but overall? Roberts wishes he could write something as effortlessly competent as this.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network

Obviously you havent played SC recently, as performance is now at consistent 40 fps (assuming you have an SSD and 16 gigs of RAM). Patch 3.2 is out and was quite well received by the community. Also patches 3.1 and 3.2 were released without any delays, however at the cost of some features not making it.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline 666maslo666

So now we have not only ED being more complete than SC will ever be

Not until those space legs are released.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Not until those space legs are released.

Did any of the patches introduce even a prototype version of the in-game economy system yet?

Offline 666maslo666

Did any of the patches introduce even a prototype version of the in-game economy system yet?

You can mine, buy and sell commodities, so yes. Still a lot of work to do, tough.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
How much are you in for, commando?
Urutorahappī!!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You can mine, buy and sell commodities, so yes. Still a lot of work to do, tough.

How much mining do you have to do to buy an Idris

Offline 666maslo666

How much are you in for, commando?

$101

Still missing like 90% of other SC features.

There is no direct competition to SC on the horizon. Closest thing to SC gameplay model are arguably some indie games such as Rodina, Pulsar or Evochron. But while being good games, they are very much indie-tier B titles, not AAA, so it is not the same at all. Hellion also deserves a honorary mention here, even tough it has no planets. However, the gaping hole in the market that SC attempts to fill remains very much unfilled even years after its announcement. So SC players aint going to leave for any other games anytime soon.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 04:38:52 pm by 666maslo666 »