Off-Topic Discussion > The Classics

Let me............... Tel-e-port you!

(1/85) > >>

The E:
At least, most of the time.

General Battuta:

--- Quote ---We are finely tuned survival machines that have evolved to survive in a niche on one particular planet in one particular epoch. Even our own planet is unimaginably hostile to our kind of life for most of its history.
--- End quote ---

This is one of the reasons that I find most SF in which mankind spreads across the galaxy remarkably silly.

We're an incredibly niche solution, even with the benefit of technology. Something much more rapacious and much more adaptive would probably do a lot better (something that needn't haul around a bubble of its absurd niche environment.)

Akalabeth Angel:

--- Quote from: The E on October 29, 2009, 01:42:37 pm ---At least, most of the time.

--- End quote ---

Wow that's 5 minutes I'll never get back.

--- Quote from: General Battuta on October 29, 2009, 03:21:30 pm ---This is one of the reasons that I find most SF in which mankind spreads across the galaxy remarkably silly.

We're an incredibly niche solution, even with the benefit of technology. Something much more rapacious and much more adaptive would probably do a lot better (something that needn't haul around a bubble of its absurd niche environment.)

--- End quote ---

Humans are the most adaptive creatures known. We've colonised all four corners of the world and live for periods of time outside in orbit above the planet. There's no reason that humans won't spread across the known galaxy if it becomes both technologically possible and economically viable.

iamzack:
Yeah, I don't really get it. We're very resourceful and good at manipulating our environments to suit our needs.

I spose I'm just missing the point.

What's the point?

Colonol Dekker:
We can't live anywhere unless we duplicate optimal conditions. Don't believe me? Sleep in your garden naked and don't go back inside for a week.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version