Author Topic: Roleplaying forum  (Read 2241 times)

Stop me if this has been asked before, but has anyone considered having an area on the forum boards where people can collaboratively write and/or tell short stories? I've been on several, managed a couple too, and haven't seen one on here, or at least not one that jumps out at me as such. For those of us who like to write stuff...

Just a thought.
Stardust, the Sword of Vengeance[A starship combat addict]

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
The Arts & Talents board used to be called "Fan Fiction & Art" if I recall correctly, and is probably the correct place for something like this?
Certainly don't need a new forum for it, at least until it proves to be popular enough to warrant one.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

But that board is dead for whatever the reason, most threads have less than 4 replies, some even none. That's not an interesting place to post something, unless you're happy with writing "having posted something" alone without the need that somebody reads it..

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
No reason to think a new board will be any less dead.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Also, a lot of the regulars just use the view unread posts button to see what's going on.  Interesting content/roleplaying will generate interest no matter where it's posted.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks all!

Dude, I'd join an FS RP in a heartbeat. Go for it and see what happens!

Offline Lorric

If it was to be some sort of game, then it could go in the gaming forum. You'd get plenty of eyes there. We've had them in there before, though they were built around someone playing a game, such as XCOM, Xenonauts or Darkest Dungeon.

We've had games on specific boards, like on Wings of Dawn. Blue Planet did something as well a while back and I believe there was something done on Silent Threat Reborn before I came to Hard Light.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Just to chime in, I have copious ammounts of story notes "left over" from what I am doing with the background short stories for the The Lost Generation as well as the world building for Of Shivans and Men and I also have somewhere a notebook from Workings of the Warp which has some story notes which could easily be refined. All this could easily make the broad strokes of world building for a post-Capella RP-campaign or collaborative writing project.

Let me type it all out over the week...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

That'd be great, Orph! And I don't mean it has to be one specific story that people partake in, just a small space where if someone wants to jump in and help tell a story, be it that of a pilot in the Great War, a cruiser skipper in the battle where the GTD Eisenhower was lost, a Fedyadeen operator working behind the lines, or even what happened to Admiral Bosch and his inner circle once they disappeared with the Shivans. There's lots of opportunity to tell all kinds of stories.

Offline 0rph3u5

So, before I forget it in the morning (my insomnia is working overtime again) - Note: this is totally seperate line of thought from the "source book" I am still typing up here.

I just ran it through my head how to make a feasible, asynchronous RPG out of what I am currently transcribing and I think I came up with a good set-up: Using my notes and community feedback/additions it would be more than possible to launch it with a "Space Cops"-trope at its core.

Basically the advantages would be that a) the trope is broad enough to allow players and writers to inject their own takes and themes into this; b) playing with different people at different timetables could easily be worked in, because different "cases" procceed at different speeds; c) its a good framing device to get everyone started on the same page; d) it would be easy for people who don't want/cannot play regularly to slip in and out by providing material, basically guest authoring "cases"; and last but not least, e) through the fiction "having to file the neccessary paperwork" it would be easy to summarize the procceedings regularly and by different people.

The main drawback of course is through that core trope one might step too close to controvercial real world issues, the discussion of which might derail the entire enterprise and create additional moderator workload.

EDIT: lets face it, the Loki was always destined to be a "Space Cop 'car' " :D - just image it with various versions of police lights on top :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 09:38:10 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

I LIKE it!

Offline 0rph3u5

Small update: I have transcribed the inital list of locations and was half-way through "An abridged history of the Sirius Transit" - with notes on factions and cultural "things" pending - but I just got the timetables for a conference in May I'll be attending and research trip in June I hope to get on, and so a lot of my free time went out of window...

I gladly hand stuff over but I've to cut my losses somewhere....

==================

LOL I know that feeling...