Author Topic: Lingering issues with porting FS1  (Read 3611 times)

Lingering issues with porting FS1
Hi all, I found these boards recently after looking for FreeSpace ports on the web.

I am wondering if anyone has solutions for any of these issues, as of SCP 3.6.9:

1. FS1-style Nebulas will not display in SCP.
2. AI or pathing in FS2 appears to be handled differently than in FS1.  In training mission 4, wingmen will not move in order to attack subsystems (maybe because target is also not moving?).  If they are able to take a shot from where they are, they will stop firing after a certain amount of time.
3. FS2 enforces "player_allowed" flag in weapons, but FS1 does not.  This causes some weapons not to appear on player ships (interceptor#weak).
4. Physics information in some FS1 .pof files is incorrect.  Is this information actually derived from anything in FS2?
5. I cannot find how to change the position of the default sun for FS2 missions.  Is there any way to do this?

My apologies if any of these issues have already been discussed to death. :)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Lingering issues with porting FS1
1. They were taken out of the FS2 code.  One of the items on the to-do list is putting them back in.

2. Put this in Mantis.

3. Put this in Mantis.

4. Can you elaborate?

5. If there's no sun, FS2 adds one at 0, 0, 0.  Solution: add one. :)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

5. If there's no sun, FS2 adds one at 0, 0, 0.  Solution: add one. :)

Ah, but what if you're playing a mission supposedly "in the middle of nowhere"?  Maybe a workaround would be to include a custom "black" sun with no light, or something like that?

EDIT: BTW, if you don't see it, Mantis is found in Sir Goob's siggy.  :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 02:56:21 am by jr2 »

Wow, thanks for the replies.

#3 can be fixed with a configuration change, I should probably check my own notes before posting questions. :rolleyes:

For #4, the Freespace .pof files that need to be imported into FS2 (such as fighter04) in some cases have very low mass and 'moment of inertia' settings.  The original .pof documentation from Volition says that these attributes are a function of the model's volume, but I don't know how to determine that.  The .pof files in FSPort do have physics information populated, are these also correct for retail FS2?

I would like to create hotfixes for the coding issues but I am having trouble finding the official 3.6.9 source code.  Can anyone provide a link?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I would like to create hotfixes for the coding issues but I am having trouble finding the official 3.6.9 source code.  Can anyone provide a link?
http://fs2source.warpcore.org/ is the only one I can find quickly.. I think you should be able to find the rest from there.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Ran into the second one myself last night.  Was able to get around it by ordering AI to form on my wing then disable. 

Another thing I noticed that didn't seem right but I'm not sure about. 

Return to base messages don't seem to exist in directives and I don't always get the alt-j message to jump out.  Might be due to completing objective message at same time as alt-j message but I haven't been able to confirm this.

No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

I think the return to base bugs date back to retail FS1, along with some messy add-tech and allow-weapon SEXP entries (like the interceptor#weak entry).

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
For #4, the Freespace .pof files that need to be imported into FS2 (such as fighter04) in some cases have very low mass and 'moment of inertia' settings.  The original .pof documentation from Volition says that these attributes are a function of the model's volume, but I don't know how to determine that.  The .pof files in FSPort do have physics information populated, are these also correct for retail FS2?

I wonder if the mass and inertia data is interpreted differently in FS2, because in the port, the Apollo turns and rolls like a freaking Ulysses.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

I wonder if the mass and inertia data is interpreted differently in FS2, because in the port, the Apollo turns and rolls like a freaking Ulysses.

From what I can tell, flight physics are determined by the entries in ships.tbl, while mass and moment of inertia entries in the .pof is used only for collision physics and was not implemented in retail FS1.  Although it is certainly possible that both things are handled differently in SCP than FS1.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Eh, open up the ships.tbl for the Ulysses in FS2 and in FS1... if they are the same, it's something else than the entries wrong.  If they are different, let me know what both entries are, I'll try to figure it out.

The interceptor#weak doesn't exist in FS2; it's only a training weap in FS1, IIRC.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
It was used so enemy AI didn't shred friendly AI... just like the AAAH beams.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
?  The only place I saw interceptor#weak was in the training missions where the cruiser shoots at you.

The interceptor#weak weapon exists only in the last training mission for FS1, however it is incorrectly added to the tech database instead of the interceptor entry. Many other entires are added multiple times or too early/late, there are also problems with the allowed weapon list in the campaign.

The second problem is that FS2 code does not allow weapons without the "player allowed" flag to appear in-mission, while the FS1 code let it pass.  Sorry if I caused any confusion with my post.

I am scrubbing the FS1 campaign now to remove the remaining bugs.  I can post these and a few other assets if anyone would like.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
... Give'em to Gooby, he'll want to see them.
...err, I mean sir Goober5000 :nervous: