Author Topic: Re: Mirror's Edge flamebait  (Read 3315 times)

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Re: Mirror's Edge flamebait
i might have even been interested in this game, emphasis, might have been if the "heroine" wasnt a retarded bloody asiatic looking

Spoiler:
no, i'm not racist, but including an asiatic in there just to get the weeaboo demographic to play this **** is just evidence of RETARDED marketing.

i agree with yahtzee's review in any case. the game sucks. hard.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 01:01:57 pm by Fury »
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
:wtf: @ pecenipicek
Should have been a Lara Croft-lookalike then I guess.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
should've been a male of some sort. sorta like the scout from TF2 i'd guess.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
i might have even been interested in this game, emphasis, might have been if the "heroine" wasnt a retarded bloody asiatic looking

it's so silly, stating this and adding No, I am not a racist.   :shaking:

What's your problem?
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
the problem is i cant stand the whole "lets appeal to weeaboo's and add a japanese girl as the main actor" thing.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
the problem is i cant stand the whole "lets appeal to weeaboo's and add a japanese girl as the main actor" thing.

I don't understand what you're talking about but I'm pretty sure it's racist.

Faith is a great character (even if the game doesn't always do a good job of telling her story.) She's not a 'Japanese girl', nor is she some kind of crass marketing ploy.

I don't know what your problem is, but it's a little disgusting. Whatever. Let's move on.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
should've been a male of some sort. sorta like the scout from TF2 i'd guess.

Already brought up the ethnic issue let's not add misogynistic comments into the mix as well 
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
bwahahah. two idiots playing it smart. fine. have it your little ignorant way. also, starslayer, get off of your high and mighty chair just cause you're part of the bsg mod.

2 things:
a) It is not a racist comment despite you wanting to label it as such. I am in general a bit pissed off by the influx of asiatic heroines in games. Why couldnt they be black, white, whatever? Why do they always have to be 18-24-ish years old asiatic heroines? Why not of other "races".
b) This is directed at Starslayer. Misogynistic? As far as i'm concerned, it doesnt matter if its a male or female, of whichever "race". My point was that the game as a whole looks like its a bit better suited to a male main character. The story might be better suited to the heroine but the game itself looks like its better suited to men.

I played a bit of the demo and i didnt exactly like it much, and when i saw the trailer, the first part, before the camera goes to the heroine(Faith, was it?), the reaction was: "Hmmm... looks interesting, i'll give it a try". When the camera went to her, my reaction was: "Wtf? Again? It looks like she was just added in for the attention.."

So, please, keep your comments to yourselves if you dont really have much skills in understanding things. i am not racist nor am i misogynistic. Say what you want, but in the end, who knows the truth? You, who've been reading my words from your computer screen without ever seeing me or talking with me, or me, who knows myself since the formation of conscience in this being?

Offline Bluecap

• There I am and - what? Now I'm gone!
Forgive me for intruding, but I am now adequately curious. What American-developed video games of late have included an Asian female lead character in them, aside from Mirror's Edge? Off the top of my head, I cannot think of any, and you are claiming there is a large influx of these. Excluding games made in Asia (as it would be normal and natural for their characters to be Asian), of course.

Also, why do you care about the race of your lead character? How does the race of a character in a game personally offend and bother you? You surely have a reason beyond "They're marketing to Japanophiles!" that delves deeper, correct?

Finally, as long as the female lead was not marketed as a large-breasted slut (such as Bloodrayne or Tomb Raider) both in and outside of the game, I don't see any problem with having a female lead in an action-oriented game. Game developers of late have been trying to create games that appeal to both genders, and it has been a known issue for a while that females in general have cited the lack of average-bodied females in game as a significant reason for not playing them. I have not played the game myself, so I do not know about her appearance.
"Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was 'Oh no, not again'. Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly why the bowl of petunias had thought that, we would know a lot more about the nature of the universe than we do now." - HHGTG, Douglas Adams

OHMIGOSH!  They used a Asian character for a martial arts master?  AND SHE'S ALSO FEMALE!?!

*sues*

EDIT:  Like Hollywood, EA has to consider foreign markets.  Who's more likely to play a crazy FPS tightrope martial arts game?  Germans?  Or Japanese?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 12:07:57 pm by DokterBeefcake »

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken