Author Topic: Celestial Objects Thread  (Read 321767 times)

Re: Celestial Objects Thread
ok got it working. Is there any programs that can convert files into .dds?

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Gimp with DDS plugin and the ATI Compressionator ( which is free and doesn't require you to have a ATI card).

ok i got gimp. were do you find the dds plug in?

ok got it. i put it in the plugins folder. Now when i launch it says libgimp-2.0-0.dll was not found. what should i do? There's always a problem I swear.

Woot i got it working. thanks for the help.

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
ok my first serious effort to make a plnet...it is still a wip, and I am still learning.  Anyone know what is causing those bright lines at the edges of due North and due East?

You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Seems like transparency issues, or maybe resolution/compression.

I take it this is a bitmap right?, DDS? PNG?, Resolution?
el hombre vicio...

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
png, but it does it when i add the  original xcf as well

Casualties of War

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
the xcf has the same artifacts on the borders?

Then the image is the problem, it could have been caused by you scaling it or something like that.

Also, there seems to be some kind of problem with the transparency of the image, I can see stars through the planet.

If you are using Gimp I recommend you to play around with the Map to Object option (not sure if that was the name) under the filter->map options, that will deliver a Sphere with all lighting already done.
el hombre vicio...

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
ok thanks

Casualties of War

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
  • maveric modeler, the sky is just the begining
Wolf, you're alive!

The bright lines N/E: very likely caused by blurring up to the edge of the image. I suspect they're there S/E as well, just dark. To prevent this from happening, leave some pixels margin between your planet and the image edge when you blur the atmosphere. The effect is aggravated by what seems to be a low resolution of the planet bitmap; the minimum you'll need for in-game niceness is 1024x1024, but 2048x2048 is preferred. 4096x4096 is even better, but some graphics cards can't support it, so it's more suited for an optional extras-kinda pack.

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
ok fsf...thanks, i used the tutorial that you showed me.

Casualties of War

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
ok, with the advice of Rodo and FSF...planet 2

I thought I would upload this one full size so that you guys could see it.  The planet itself is about 1716 in diameter on a 2048^2 texture.

Casualties of War

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
You might want to tone down the reflection of the planet surface, keep in mind that most planets only reflect enough light to be visible, only cristal/water surfaces should reflect light that intense IMO.

Also, try keeping your dark side always completely dark, unless some other form of lighting is provided for that spot like... vulcanism, or maybe another smaller star.

The surface texture looks nice, and after adding some kind of cloud or atmosphere layer it will probably look better.

All in all, quite good for a second try, mine looked like crap compared to this :P
el hombre vicio...

Here's some old stuff I did for End War; not top-quality stuff by today's standards, but some interesting concepts anyway.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
:bump:

I haven't noticed it before. They're cool! Can we have dds or tga files in full resolution?
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

I haven't noticed it before. They're cool! Can we have dds or tga files in full resolution?

Here's the PNGs :P (10 MB)